Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2007, 11:47 PM

799 posts, read 2,169,125 times

Advertisements

Will Social Security be there for us? Or, will the illegals sap it dry? Why isn't anyone addressing this in Washington? What do they do all day there?
What CAN we do about all of this? Writing letters gets me more form letters sent back. They don't even read them. I get "If you have a problem or concern, please write us." I DID..............

What can we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 12:14 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
Will Social Security be there for us? Or, will the illegals sap it dry? Why isn't anyone addressing this in Washington? What do they do all day there?
What CAN we do about all of this? Writing letters gets me more form letters sent back. They don't even read them. I get "If you have a problem or concern, please write us." I DID..............

What can we do?
if you have social security or retirement pending need to file very soon.
i have never seen social security admin make funds depletion warning statements on bottom of their history of earnings form, ever before.
dont even consider filing past 62. considering the pattern on pension funds
(belly up), same advice. this all happened in france but in a somewhat different format, a country we have far more in common with than we seem to realize. the good life started drying up. the disturbing non responsiveness you see in government is pervasive and internal as well as external. it is revenge of the temps in action. outresourcing and downsizing has come back to bite us.

stephen s
san diego

Old 09-04-2007, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
if you have social security or retirement pending need to file very soon.
i have never seen social security admin make funds depletion warning statements on bottom of their history of earnings form, ever before.
dont even consider filing past 62. considering the pattern on pension funds
(belly up), same advice. this all happened in france but in a somewhat different format, a country we have far more in common with than we seem to realize. the good life started drying up. the disturbing non responsiveness you see in government is pervasive and internal as well as external. it is revenge of the temps in action. outresourcing and downsizing has come back to bite us.

stephen s
san diego
The middle class holds no economic power anymore. The power is in the hands of the very rich and the people they manipulate and employ. I am not talking about the guy who worked his way up, or the people who work very hard for their money. I am talking about the elitists.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:28 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Well, I'm on Social Security Disability and since I have a serious disease for which there is no cure, I'll probably be on it until my retirement age unless a miracle treatment is developed. In going through the process, I know there's a huge backlog of disability cases. Some people are waiting 3 years or so for their claims to be processed. Because of this, though, they changed the rules to allow for the fast-tracking of obvious cases of disability -- mine was one such case and they approved my disability in just 12 weeks! I am very grateful!

The system CAN respond when it has to and the Social Security taxes people have paid should be enough to keep the system going. BUT, the feds have been "borrowing" from the Social Security fund for all sorts of things! That has got to STOP and the money needs to be paid back into the fund!

Illegal immigration is posing a huge problem, though, because all of these low-paid workers are driving down wages. Social Security contributions are a percentage of the paycheck -- lower wages means less money going into the system. And, of course, less money in contributions means less in benefits when you are retired or disabled! And, of course, illegal immigrants with fake or stolen Social Security numbers who collect benefits are cheating the system.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Well, I'm on Social Security Disability and since I have a serious disease for which there is no cure, I'll probably be on it until my retirement age unless a miracle treatment is developed. In going through the process, I know there's a huge backlog of disability cases. Some people are waiting 3 years or so for their claims to be processed. Because of this, though, they changed the rules to allow for the fast-tracking of obvious cases of disability -- mine was one such case and they approved my disability in just 12 weeks! I am very grateful!

The system CAN respond when it has to and the Social Security taxes people have paid should be enough to keep the system going. BUT, the feds have been "borrowing" from the Social Security fund for all sorts of things! That has got to STOP and the money needs to be paid back into the fund!

Illegal immigration is posing a huge problem, though, because all of these low-paid workers are driving down wages. Social Security contributions are a percentage of the paycheck -- lower wages means less money going into the system. And, of course, less money in contributions means less in benefits when you are retired or disabled! And, of course, illegal immigrants with fake or stolen Social Security numbers who collect benefits are cheating the system.
And, don't forget all the ones being paid in cash, where no taxes or SS is being taken out. They aren't paying into the system.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:38 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,087 times
Default not for us

It wont be there, we are all sure in the next 20 years. Also remember that these estimates are given by the government who nevers thinks about future illegal aliens sucking, I mean stealing from the system so it could happen sooner.

I was a big topic when the last election was going on, where did that go?
Illegal immigration is a big debate in this election, where do you think that will go?

Our government has no morals, only $$$ matter.

In LA, some hospitals have closed down due to the illegal problem. If that has happended, I dont think the government will do anything about SS

They will not make it a choice to contribute since many would choose not to because we know it wont be around.

Look at any "system" put in place, it is failing because of illegals. The system is bad or faulted....illegals are sucking them dry. Health care, education, laws, economy everything.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:05 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,816 times
I think it will be there. It may be in trouble but so are a lot of other things. The State of New Jersey is 30 billion in the hole and there looking at ways to get out of debt. Such as selling the lottery, privatising the turnpike and the dreaded Raising of taxes. The goverment will find a way to sustaine it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration