Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:04 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
bless your cause, but you are speaking to a bunch of mules. youre asking a question that some cant comprehend, basicly they are just butt hurt because they see some LEGAL Immigrants or 2nd, 3rd generation do better than they and they automatically assume they are here illegally. Some day the pendelum will swing the other way.

Think about it. People who know complain about immigration used to complain about Blacks going into the White's schools. But now that they were put in their place, since they actually fear those illegal troublemakers they find it easier to pick on ones that are already here legally or were born here.

The problem is that their home Countries govt could give a rat butt about these people. All of a sudden now it's America's problem? Where is the anger toward Mexico's govt? Guatemala's govt?
The US taxpayers didn't ask for this mess!! Yet we are footing the bill for a bunch of businesses using slave labor. What we taxpayers receive is crime, long waits in the ER and sharing classrooms with kids that cannot comprehend English. We would like to tap out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 10:53 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The problem is that their home Countries govt could give a rat butt about these people. All of a sudden now it's America's problem? Where is the anger toward Mexico's govt? Guatemala's govt?
The US taxpayers didn't ask for this mess!! Yet we are footing the bill for a bunch of businesses using slave labor. What we taxpayers receive is crime, long waits in the ER and sharing classrooms with kids that cannot comprehend English. We would like to tap out.

As I've said lots of times dont blame the player blame the game!

with that said... well I'm usually against this but the way i see it IA's are cutters whether they jump the fence or come in a container full of bananas.

You want to get rid of Illegal Immigration... Get rid of Social programs, welfare we got enough people(Legal and Illegal) that abuse the system. Get rid of all that free crap we pay for and I'm more than willing they all will be gone within a year.

so we dont really need to post some whack link obtained from unknown editors because they mention Illegal Aliens we need action. Call your councilman or woman now!

Old 02-01-2009, 02:51 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
First off, I'm not talking illegal immigration here, this is strictly legal immigration I'm curious about.

Do you have a rivalry (Immigrated Mexicans vs. Americans with Mexican heritage)? Why?
To answer your question cabolissa, I dont have a rivalry against either group because both are a part of me. I am a Mexican American, first generation born in California. I have travelled to Mexico countless times and have spent some time there throughout my life. I also have Mexican citizenship.

I think someone has said it in this thread before, those of us that are first generation were back in the day not considered American and not considered Mexican. We did not fit in either group because we were too Mexican to be an American and we did not live in Mexico (some did not speak proper spanish or knew of the culture) so they were not Mexican.

Those of us that did spend some time in Mexico and know the language as well as the culture and at the same time have been raised here in the U.S. are caught in the middle because we understand both sides and live both sides.

It bugs me when Mexican Americans stereotype Mexicans and make erroneous comments or generalizations of the cultures of Mexico. Also, when they make fun of the way they dress or talk in english with a Mexican accent.

It also bugs me equally when Mexicans make stereotypes of Mexican Americans. They look down at them for not speaking the language and dont know where they came from or when they assume that all Mexican Americans are gangsters, lazy bums and drug addicts. Or when Mexicans feel superior to Mexican Americans due to the fact that they dont know the culture.

What bothers me about some people from both groups is that some Mexicans will value the color white more than brown and when Mexican Americans will believe in the whole "brown pride" thing. We are a mixed culture where you will find all colors brown, white and black.

Another thing that bugs me is when Mexican Americans will make up their own cultural things and call it Mexican. I'll give you an example of a Mexican American 3rd generation who made brownies with a glace that had pepper in it and called it "Mexican brownies". It confused people of what is Mexican culture and what is Mexican American culture. Also, I knew a guy from college that was "down with Chicanismo" and did his thesis on the pyramids of Teotihuacan. The guy had never ever in his life visited or seen the actual pyramid. This could have been a great opportunity for him to learn of his roots.

Personally, I dont like to be associated with Chicano power. I dont believe in forming our own segregated community. We all live in this country and we just have to learn to deal with each other. I hope voluntarily. I believe that those of us that are here 1st generation will mainstream and become part of the American culture, a mixed culture. My children (if I ever have any) will most likely fall into the Mexican American unless I have children outside this ethnicity. Then it will be a whole other ball game.

Another thing that bugs me is when Mexicans that have never been in this country or have any idea of what it is to live here think that we some how rake dollar bills off the ground. Some of their demands are impossible to meet.

One more thing...I dont tolerate the word "Pocha".

Old 02-01-2009, 02:55 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
AND Mexico...
That is very true. Some Caucasian Americans that live in a small community near Chapala, Jalisco complain of the Mexicans there and dont like to associate with them. They also dont want to learn the language. Two extreme worlds arent they?

Old 02-01-2009, 07:14 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
That is very true. Some Caucasian Americans that live in a small community near Chapala, Jalisco complain of the Mexicans there and dont like to associate with them. They also dont want to learn the language. Two extreme worlds arent they?
When in Rome; do as the Romans do.............

That variety of 'American' as you described is an insult to me; if I chose to live SOB, I would make damn sure to learn Spanish at least.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
To answer your question cabolissa, I dont have a rivalry against either group because both are a part of me. I am a Mexican American, first generation born in California. I have travelled to Mexico countless times and have spent some time there throughout my life. I also have Mexican citizenship.

I think someone has said it in this thread before, those of us that are first generation were back in the day not considered American and not considered Mexican. We did not fit in either group because we were too Mexican to be an American and we did not live in Mexico (some did not speak proper spanish or knew of the culture) so they were not Mexican.

Those of us that did spend some time in Mexico and know the language as well as the culture and at the same time have been raised here in the U.S. are caught in the middle because we understand both sides and live both sides.

It bugs me when Mexican Americans stereotype Mexicans and make erroneous comments or generalizations of the cultures of Mexico. Also, when they make fun of the way they dress or talk in english with a Mexican accent.

It also bugs me equally when Mexicans make stereotypes of Mexican Americans. They look down at them for not speaking the language and dont know where they came from or when they assume that all Mexican Americans are gangsters, lazy bums and drug addicts. Or when Mexicans feel superior to Mexican Americans due to the fact that they dont know the culture.

What bothers me about some people from both groups is that some Mexicans will value the color white more than brown and when Mexican Americans will believe in the whole "brown pride" thing. We are a mixed culture where you will find all colors brown, white and black.

Another thing that bugs me is when Mexican Americans will make up their own cultural things and call it Mexican. I'll give you an example of a Mexican American 3rd generation who made brownies with a glace that had pepper in it and called it "Mexican brownies". It confused people of what is Mexican culture and what is Mexican American culture. Also, I knew a guy from college that was "down with Chicanismo" and did his thesis on the pyramids of Teotihuacan. The guy had never ever in his life visited or seen the actual pyramid. This could have been a great opportunity for him to learn of his roots.

Personally, I dont like to be associated with Chicano power. I dont believe in forming our own segregated community. We all live in this country and we just have to learn to deal with each other. I hope voluntarily. I believe that those of us that are here 1st generation will mainstream and become part of the American culture, a mixed culture. My children (if I ever have any) will most likely fall into the Mexican American unless I have children outside this ethnicity. Then it will be a whole other ball game.

Another thing that bugs me is when Mexicans that have never been in this country or have any idea of what it is to live here think that we some how rake dollar bills off the ground. Some of their demands are impossible to meet.
There is an inferiority complex dating back to the days of the conquest and subsequen Spanish colonization. The Spaniards themselves refered to the Arabs as Moors, "Moros" in Spanish which means "dark-skinned". A black eye in one's face in Spanish Spanish is "ojo moro", in Mexican Spanish is "ojo morado" or "violet eye".

The Spanish conquest in Mexico was successfull on three counts: first, the locals had never seen horses before and thought that horse and rider were one being, and the second, the Aztecs managed to be hated by everyone else, as they subjugated a number of other nations under them to build their empire. These nations allied with the Spaniards to topple the Aztecs, but alas, the Spaniards' plans were different. Third, the Spaniards brought with them smallpox, which decimated the local population during an epidemic that was second to none in Europe; millions perished.

The first "mestizos" were born when Hernán Cortés himself had a child with Malintzin or "La Malinche", his interpreter. A couple of Spanish sailors that came with Columbus were stranded in the Yucatán peninsula when Cortés came to Mexico, and they had already had children with Mayan women. Cortés' child was the first kid from a European father and an Aztec mother. Soon a number of "mestizo" kids were born and thus the Mexican nation was born with them. The Spaniards treated them badly, as "hijos de la chingada" which is the worst offense you can make to a Mexican, because "la chingada" means "the raped woman", which indeed was the destiny of many Native Mexican women during the three centuries that the Spanish colonial period lasted.

Mexican society was divided in castes which determined the socio-political and economic level of the people: first, there were the Europeans, mostly Spaniards, who had all the wealth, government positions (conveniently far from Spain, they could loot the country at will) and were the entrepreneurs and landowners. Some among them were nobles too and were styled counts or dukes or barons. Then came the "criollos" or creoles, the children of European fathers and mothers born in Mexico. Then came the "mestizos", as explained above, and a host of others like the "mulatos", children of a white father and a black mother, as we did have slaves from Africa too, but not to the extent of the USA.

The "mestizos" were way below in the food chain, most were children of single mothers and were not recognized by their fathers. Last names or family names had to be given when the kids were baptized, and since the mothers didn't know the last name of the fathers of their children, they used his first name as the kids' last name. The "mestizos" were the children of the powerful, exploiting European father and the subjugated, powerless, raped Mexican mother.

This is how the Mexican inferiority complex was born, and this is why the country is white supremacist, as another poster has adequately described it.

The above was sent to me from a Mexican friend of mine, born/raised SOB

Quote:
One more thing...I dont tolerate the word "Pocha".
That 'Pocho/Pocha' comment hit home with me: some years ago I met a group of ethnic Hungarians from Romania; they took some offence to me due to my not speaking their language (father is from Hungary) and started jabbering away in it right in front of me. Note this incident occurred right here in the USA. Suffice to say; my respect for that culture dropped even lower in my eyes.

What really pissed off these individuals is apparently my family tree (my original surname is a dead giveaway) includes someone who was to Hungarian culture that Santa Ana is to Mexican.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:42 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
It's understandable that these people might cause some resentment among the local Mexican population. The behavior you describe is disrespectful to their host country, Mexico; and it would be perfectly normal if SOME of the local people were tired of the attitude of these 'gringos' in their midst.

Imagine how much MORE resentful they'd be, if in addition to being snobbish and 'snooty', the gringos were ALSO undercutting the local wages, using a large percentage of the local social services, getting into trouble with the law, and demanding that schools, government services, and other tax-funded institutions be provided in English, since the gringos "wanted" these things, but not enough to learn the local language.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:19 PM

217 posts, read 513,152 times
Quote:
This is how the Mexican inferiority complex was born, and this is why the country is white supremacist, as another poster has adequately described it.
How is Mexico a White supremacist country when the overwhelming majority of the population there is Brown and do not have White skin.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:31 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
As I've said lots of times dont blame the player blame the game!

with that said... well I'm usually against this but the way i see it IA's are cutters whether they jump the fence or come in a container full of bananas.

You want to get rid of Illegal Immigration... Get rid of Social programs, welfare we got enough people(Legal and Illegal) that abuse the system. Get rid of all that free crap we pay for and I'm more than willing they all will be gone within a year.

so we dont really need to post some whack link obtained from unknown editors because they mention Illegal Aliens we need action. Call your councilman or woman now!
So long as there is the draw of auto citizenship even drying up social services will not stop the flood.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Winchester View Post
How is Mexico a White supremacist country when the overwhelming majority of the population there is Brown and do not have White skin.
Ask the Mexicans.

The standard of beauty SOB is white skin, blue eyes and northern Euro facial features-----------it is quite obvious when watching a telenovela. What does annoy/sadden me is why so few stereotypical 'regular' Mestizo Mexicans are depicted as anything but gardeners, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration