U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 10:21 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Going Home

Judging by the physical infrastructure-----------it looks no worse than parts of our American South of 50-60 years ago. Note the glass in the windows as well as the electrical lines overhead.

Sorry; pro illegal fans------------the above ain't exactly true Third World to me.
Someone must have photoshopped in the paved roads, electrical lines and buildings with windows. We all know that if you had to live in a place like that, you would pack up and head for El Norte, too.
The American South of 50-60 years ago? I would guess that many small towns in the US looked similar to those pictures at that time. People lived in much smaller homes and my mother (along with every other woman in the neighborhood) used to hang the laundry out to dry, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 10:23 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
The Appalachias:

Yeah, I'd say that the Appalachias were a bit worse off than those illegal immigrants returning to electricity, actual windows, and running vehicles.
The pictures were made on the same studio lot as the ones showing us landing on the moon.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:24 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Someone must have photoshopped in the paved roads, electrical lines and buildings with windows. We all know that if you had to live in a place like that, you would pack up and head for El Norte, too.
The American South of 50-60 years ago? I would guess that many small towns in the US looked similar to those pictures at that time. People lived in much smaller homes and my mother (along with every other woman in the neighborhood) used to hang the laundry out to dry, too.
I was trying to give the deported Mexicans the benefit of the doubt in that their infrastructure was poorer than ours today------hence using two generations ago of ours as an analogy.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:26 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
As a child, I can recall clothes hanging on the line with the wooden pins, and we didn't live in poverty. It was the norm.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
As a child, I can recall clothes hanging on the line with the wooden pins, and we didn't live in poverty. It was the norm.
Yup

I used to know a woman from Kentucky who did not get indoor plumbing in her family's house till 1976..........and, she is Anglo White with a touch of Indian thrown in.

For that matter: there was/is a historic Black enclave near Wash DC that did not receive indoor plumbing till ca. 2003. The name of which escape me.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:41 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yup

I used to know a woman from Kentucky who did not get indoor plumbing in her family's house till 1976..........and, she is Anglo White with a touch of Indian thrown in.

For that matter: there was/is a historic Black enclave near Wash DC that did not receive indoor plumbing till ca. 2003. The name of which escape me.

I also heard that. It was shocking, to say the least.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:52 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,207,047 times
Hell, in the 60's everyone dried their clothes "online".lol. I remember going to my Grandparents place. You had to drive through the woods to get there. A small village buried in trees, 1 General store and a country school. Every place had an outhouse and they had to go outside to pump water from a well. Noone thought anything of it, it was a norman way of life in Michigan.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:16 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
http://dykstranet.com/wordpress/wp-content/detroit1.jpg (broken link)

There are places today in the USA that are much worse than what is shown in those pictures of places illegals are returning home to live.

Photo found on Flickr posted by archiscot

Old 12-20-2008, 11:20 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times

New York 1936

Old 12-20-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

There are places today in the USA that are much worse than what is shown in those pictures of places illegals are returning home to live.

Photo found on Flickr posted by archiscot
Looks like Detroit 2008.

Sad: that home was gorgeous when it was built ca. 1900
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or