U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2008, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,243,145 times
Reputation: 4611

Advertisements

Back then Chicago and Detroit were considered ghettos. A ghetto wasn't something you would expect to find in every big city then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2008, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Redneckistan
11,102 posts, read 12,834,031 times
Reputation: 3917


I noticed this in the pictures

"Teresa Cervantes, 21, stands outside the house she shares with relatives n San Jose de Lourdes, Mexico on Nov. 22, 2008. Cervantes had been living as an illegal immigrant in Chicago but came home in November because of the worsening economic crisis in the United States. She and her husband decided they could save money if she and their two children returned to Mexico to live with family."

So they are moving back home to continue to mooch of someone I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2008, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,904,130 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Going Home

Judging by the physical infrastructure-----------it looks no worse than parts of our American South of 50-60 years ago. Note the glass in the windows as well as the electrical lines overhead.

Sorry; pro illegal fans------------the above ain't exactly true Third World to me.
Why do you think so many people risk their lives to come here? A boost in the paycheck?
Unlike the "American South", where you live or come from can have a big effect on how the children are going to fare in life.

Also, many people immigrated from poor areas of the South and Midwest to California and other places.
Getting my kid in a decent apartment with a shot at a decent life sounds worth it to me.

I can't believe you people are looking down from your high horses and saying "that ain't so bad!". How do you know if you don't live there? It's crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2008, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,844,279 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Why do you think so many people risk their lives to come here? A boost in the paycheck?
Unlike the "American South", where you live or come from can have a big effect on how the children are going to fare in life.Also, many people immigrated from poor areas of the South and Midwest to California and other places.
Getting my kid in a decent apartment with a shot at a decent life sounds worth it to me.

I can't believe you people are looking down from your high horses and saying "that ain't so bad!". How do you know if you don't live there? It's crazy.
Environment influences ALL children, not just those from SOB. We have millions of children living at or below the poverty level in this country. It's a sad fact of life.

I don't "look down" on anyone. I know I have been blessed. I have compassion for all who suffer, especially children. However, I believe we should take care of our own suffering masses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2008, 03:13 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,914,213 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Environment influences ALL children, not just those from SOB. We have millions of children living at or below the poverty level in this country. It's a sad fact of life.

I don't "look down" on anyone. I know I have been blessed. I have compassion for all who suffer, especially children. However, I believe we should take care of our own suffering masses.

Agreed. Those here illegally who cannot keep their legs closed no longer than 5 minute intervals and stand upright long enough to make it back across the border need to use their medical card to obtain an emergency supply and prescription for current and future birth control pill consumption.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 12-20-2008 at 03:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2008, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,690,703 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Why do you think so many people risk their lives to come here? A boost in the paycheck?
Unlike the "American South", where you live or come from can have a big effect on how the children are going to fare in life.

Also, many people immigrated from poor areas of the South and Midwest to California and other places.
Getting my kid in a decent apartment with a shot at a decent life sounds worth it to me.

I can't believe you people are looking down from your high horses and saying "that ain't so bad!". How do you know if you don't live there? It's crazy.
People from the American South are that-----------Americans. They are our own. The same does not apply to a bunch of criminals from Mexico or anyplace else. We owe Mexico nothing----------that pathetic country needs to grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2008, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,904,130 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
People from the American South are that-----------Americans. They are our own. The same does not apply to a bunch of criminals from Mexico or anyplace else. We owe Mexico nothing----------that pathetic country needs to grow up.


We're not talking about that, now are we?
Isn't your post saying "They don't have it so bad to come here!"

And what I said is, people who have it bad go to places that are better.

Hence my referring to the people of the poor "American south" migrating to the West and Midwest, and the Okies migrating to the western U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2008, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,844,279 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post


We're not talking about that, now are we?
Isn't your post saying "They don't have it so bad to come here!"

And what I said is, people who have it bad go to places that are better.

Hence my referring to the people of the poor "American south" migrating to the West and Midwest, and the Okies migrating to the western U.S.
It is perfectly acceptable for families to relocate to a different region of the country for a better opportunity. My family moved from Western PA years ago and relocated in DC because my dad was offered a better job. It's quite different from people illegally entering another country, committing ID theft and fraud, and ignoring the laws of a sovereign nation. There’s really no comparison. There is a difference between right and wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2008, 03:58 PM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,664,753 times
Reputation: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Agreed. Those here illegally who cannot keep their legs closed no longer than 5 minute intervals and stand upright long enough to make it back across the border need to use their medical card to obtain an emergency supply and prescription for current and future birth control pill consumption.
Hard to believe those 2.2 birth rate stats AB talks about. Not to discredit what he says but seeing is believing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2008, 04:00 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,914,213 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Hard to believe those 2.2 birth rate stats AB talks about. Not to discredit what he says but seeing is believing.
I'm sure he's referring to the legal hispanics in this country. When you have to pay for everything, as opposed to getting it free (aka: at the taxpayers' expense) it tends to make you less inclined to breed like wild dogs in perpetual heat. It also builds character and self esteem, adds common sense and reality to the equation, while helping you grow up and become a responsible self sufficient adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top