Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 02:51 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times

Advertisements

We have a lot of threads about illegals. Lets discuss possible reform that will benefit the USA and still provide for new blood in the way of immigragtion.
For example. Should we as a nation have minimum standards just as many other nations require.
Proof of ability to support themselves. How much money should they be required to have to be eligible for immigration? I say 25 g minimum or a sponcer willing to take the responsibility.
A profession that we are in need of. Doctors, nurses etc.
Should we set limits on nationality, ethnic background, race?
Feel free to chime in. Trolls beware this thread is for rational discussion only...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 03:05 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
We have a lot of threads about illegals. Lets discuss possible reform that will benefit the USA and still provide for new blood in the way of immigragtion.
For example. Should we as a nation have minimum standards just as many other nations require.
Proof of ability to support themselves. How much money should they be required to have to be eligible for immigration? I say 25 g minimum or a sponcer willing to take the responsibility.
Feel free to chime in. Trolls beware this thread is for rational discussion only...
I'll rep you for starting a straight thread. Not hopeful for it, but see how it goes.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
I'll rep you for starting a straight thread. Not hopeful for it, but see how it goes.
I hope for a civil discussion of well thought out ideas. Maybe both sides of this issue can find some common ground.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:21 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,408,610 times
Quote:
What you have listed (add being able to speak and understand basic English) was the original intent and purpose of foreign nationals being allowed to LEGALLY immigrate to the US.

If they have nothing to offer this country that will allow them to come here legally we certainly don't need them here by the zillions dragging us into the depths of their third world culture, birth rates and massive levels of poverty.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 12-20-2008 at 03:46 PM..

Old 12-20-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
What you have listed (add being able to speak and understand basic English) was the original intent and purpose of foreign nationals being allowed to LEGALLY immigrate to the US.

If they have nothing to offer this country that will allow them to come here legally we certainly don't need them here by the zillions dragging us into the depths of their third world culture, birth rates and massive level of poverty.
So if I read you correctly you advocating having proficiency standard for English.
Also requiring them to have an identified skill that we need. Such as a nursing degree or another useful skill that we are short of.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:35 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,408,610 times
Quote:
So if I read you correctly you advocating having proficiency standard for English.
Also requiring them to have an identified skill that we need. Such as a nursing degree or another useful skill that we are short of.
You are correct sir. That is the original intent and purpose of legal immigration. Legal immigration only works if the parties entering this country have a citizen that will sponsor and bare responsibility for their presence and a skill set that is beneficial to this country.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:40 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
I would like to add ... If we are going to allow people to legally immigrate in order to escape poverty and to enjoy a better quality of life, then we need to offer that to individuals from other impoverish countries such as Asian, etc. It isn't fair for those wishing to immigrate the correct way to be forced to wait while others cut in line because of their proximity to the US.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:40 PM

Fair enough.
What about those who due to the actions of this country are now victims in their own country. Example the people of Laos after vietnam. In other words a valid refugee status.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I think these are fair expectations to have for legal immigrants.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Fair enough.
What about those who due to the actions of this country are now victims in their own country. Example the people of Laos after vietnam. In other words a valid refugee status.
Yes. Immigrating under the refuge status is fair as well if our country was responsible in any way to the chaos of another country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration