U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 01:47 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,898,849 times

Advertisements

EL PASO -- An El Paso doctor who practiced for 33 years in Juárez abruptly closed his office last month after being threatened for a third time and told he must start paying 20,000 pesos a month in protection money.

What happened to him is happening to hundreds of other business owners, shop operators and professionals in Juárez, but those crimes go unreported because the victims do not want to become a part of the violence that has claimed 1,500 lives this year.

Juárez violence is boon to non-cartel criminals - El Paso Times

Old 12-21-2008, 04:31 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,899,154 times
People have been banned for much less than someone repeatedly defying forum rules like this.
This is non-stop trolling.

Irrelevant post by Jdubsmom #223225

Old 12-21-2008, 07:44 PM

38,803 posts, read 19,574,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
People have been banned for much less than someone repeatedly defying forum rules like this.

This is the immigration forum and she is posting about a current situation facing a Mexican city that borders the US. This is definately a relevant post. Sounds like you are trolling as you are not responding to the topic of this thread.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:30 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:

When Mexico implodes-------us Gringoes will have to deal with scads of frightened/injured people I am afraid.

All the more reason to continuing fortifying our southern border.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
This is the immigration forum and she is posting about a current situation facing a Mexican city that borders the US. This is definately a relevant post. Sounds like you are trolling as you are not responding to the topic of this thread.
If I posted some nice articles from a Mexican city that borders the US, will that be relevant?
I posted a thread about an American woman smuggling in apes from the Mexican border, but that wasn't considered relevant.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
If I posted some nice articles from a Mexican city that borders the US, will that be relevant?
I posted a thread about an American woman smuggling in apes from the Mexican border, but that wasn't considered relevant.
There's no guarantee that people will respond to a thread when it is opened. This topic, which no one is really discussing, is very relevant because it highlights why we need to strengthen our borders. This is a security issue.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
There's no guarantee that people will respond to a thread when it is opened. This topic, which no one is really discussing, is very relevant because it highlights why we need to strengthen our borders. This is a security issue.
So would I be able to refute that by posting a thread with a nice story happening in Mexico?
If the mods said that wasn't relevant like they have done with several of Jdubs posts, would you defend that as well?

Old 12-21-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
So would I be able to refute that by posting a thread with a nice story happening in Mexico?
If the mods said that wasn't relevant like they have done with several of Jdubs posts, would you defend that as well?
If the topic is related to immigration then it's relevant. Keep in mind that the mods own this forum and can decide what is relevant or not (even if it is arbituary). I've had some of my posts removed and I think many others can claim the same thing.

Now ... How is this particular thread about the violence in Juarez NOT relevant?

Old 12-21-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
If the topic is related to immigration then it's relevant. Keep in mind that the mods own this forum and can decide what is relevant or not (even if it is arbituary). I've had some of my posts removed and I think many others can claim the same thing.

Now ... How is this particular thread about the violence in Juarez NOT relevant?
Immigration is about people from one place to another to settle in that country. Whether legally or illegally.

Not gang wars in a different country. Jdubsmom's posts are attempts to discredit Latin Americans as, I quote, "criminally insane people".
While the violence in Mexico may have an effect on immigration by wealthy business owners and high ranking officials, I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the large scale immigration of poorer Mexicans.
This is just more fear mongering.

If you look through the threads, you'll see that although Ciudad Juarez is having a crime crisis right now due to a drug war, El Paso is still one of the safest cities in this country.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Immigration is about people from one place to another to settle in that country. Whether legally or illegally.

Not gang wars in a different country. Jdubsmom's posts are attempts to discredit Latin Americans as, I quote, "criminally insane people".
While the violence in Mexico may have an effect on immigration by wealthy business owners and high ranking officials, I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the large scale immigration of poorer Mexicans.
This is just more fear mongering.

If you look through the threads, you'll see that although Ciudad Juarez is having a crime crisis right now due to a drug war, El Paso is still one of the safest cities in this country.
With the growing violence in places such as Juarez, the poor folks in Mexico are going to be even more desperate to come here to escape the violence. Also, this violence IS spilling over into the US from what I've been reading in the LA Times (and they are considered Pro-illegal immigration by the slant of their stories). For our country's safety, we need to reinforce our borders and enforce our immigration laws as we cannot continually subsidize the hordes of illegal immigrants that are flooding our cities and overcrowding our schools and hospitals. I don't know if you live in So. Cal or not, but we are facing a crisis with our emergency rooms closing down! Believe me, I AM sympathetic towards the desperate situation that many illegals find themselves into (heck, I may even personally know a few) and many ARE hardworking folks trying to improve their lot in life. But there's a limit to how much our country can take before we collapse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or