U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2008, 07:25 PM

6,076 posts, read 10,739,138 times

Advertisements

Will this be a problem for the immigrants/migrant workers this coming spring with all the Americans being lay-off? I myself, if I had no job and I knew the field work was there and I could have a jod doing it. I would be expecting to be hired first before any immigrant. And our government had better be thinking twice about letting anymore foreigners into the country to work while we're havin this recession.

So, what are your thoughts on this matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 08:21 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Will this be a problem for the immigrants/migrant workers this coming spring with all the Americans being lay-off? I myself, if I had no job and I knew the field work was there and I could have a jod doing it. I would be expecting to be hired first before any immigrant. And our government had better be thinking twice about letting anymore foreigners into the country to work while we're havin this recession.

So, what are your thoughts on this matter?
Speaking of just Mexican nationals; apparently both legal ones (legit green card holders) as well as more and more illegal aliens are returning to Mexico due to a growing number of employers preferring to hire US citizens.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:50 PM

956 posts, read 2,646,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Speaking of just Mexican nationals; apparently both legal ones (legit green card holders) as well as more and more illegal aliens are returning to Mexico due to a growing number of employers preferring to hire US citizens.
In which occupations?

Old 12-22-2008, 09:57 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
In which occupations?
SeabeeBolt's a gear jammer, he drives 18 wheelers.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:58 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
employers and governments aren't really concerned about the ethics of whether to hire citizens or illegals 1st or last.
that went out the window when they started trafficking in illegals.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:50 AM

956 posts, read 2,646,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Does he believe we have a lot of illegal aliens in the U.S. driving big-rigs?

Old 12-23-2008, 05:41 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
In which occupations?
Construction alone...............

As all of know: the housing market collapsed and rhetorically speaking; where are all of those unemployed laborers, masons, etc? Certainly not down at the unemployment office.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:47 AM

Angry We can do the work our selves!

Quote:
Does he believe we have a lot of illegal aliens in the U.S. driving big-rigs?

Yes I know theres alot of them on our raods, and thats not a good thing either. I see no need for them on our roads when we have less than half the drivers needed to keep our products moving. When they call and ask for direction over the CB, most of us have a habit of sending then in the wrong direction to make them late for thier drop-off time . Theres a thing called a (J.I.T), this means Just In Time loads and if you miss it enough times, the shipper will drop you and find someone to do the job right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
employers and governments aren't really concerned about the ethics of whether to hire citizens or illegals 1st or last.
that went out the window when they started trafficking in illegals.
This is true, but there are many ways to stop the employeers from hiring migrant workers, let say that the farmer can't move his produce if no truck driver will ship it for him. And making the migrant workers feel not welcome in your home town isn't hard either.

Quote:
Ok, MKF , I hear ya. But I rather drive an asphalt/stone truck and be home every night. And hopefully some day soon We'll be in Oklahoma, for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
This is a good thing in my book.
But here in Ohio, Oberlin college is trying pushing the issue, they want to make Oberlin a safe heaven for illegals. The surrounding communities and people have already threatened to stop all transactions with all businesses in the city of Oberlin if this happens. And I for one have a business near by, and I will stand with the others and refuse to do business with the Oberlin college students if this happens. Besides, I demand a valid Ohio driver license on all transactions with my company, (not green cards).

Old 12-23-2008, 09:38 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
SeabeeBolt wrote:
Quote:
Ok, mk , I hear ya. But I rather drive an asphalt/stone truck and be home every night. And hopefully some day soon We'll be in Oklahoma, for good.
That's right......I guess I didn't let my thought process finish it's cycle
Either way, those aren't SUV's your drivin'.
Beisde's, bordered with PA., Ohio has more than it's fair share of illegals.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
SeabeeBolt wrote:

That's right......I guess I didn't let my thought process finish it's cycle
Either way, those aren't SUV's your drivin'.
Beisde's, bordered with PA., Ohio has more than it's fair share of illegals.

Especially when your running 70Lbs gvw at 55mph down the road and the load temp is about 240 to 400 degrees, you don't stop to easily .
Just take a drive to Lorain and you'll see about 85% of them living there. And when planting season starts, theres a big influx of them making thier way the the veggie farms around Willard and New Heaven Ohio. A few years back I had the great privilege of getting a bunch of them busted. I was at a Convenience story and about a dozen of them were in there buying beer. So I stepped outside and noticed them (and the driver) of the van all drinking, so I called the cops. Needless to say they were on them as soon as they hit the road, like white on rice. Man was that alot of fun, especially when they hauled the driver off to jail and towed the van . They seem to avoid our town like the plague, because we have some real smart cops for a small town and we don't want them around here, thank God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or