U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 11:44 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times

Advertisements

and why would i hire illegals to rebuild a city when there are tons of able bodied locals available one might ask?
work ethic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 11:48 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,308,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
and why would i hire illegals to rebuild a city when there are tons of able bodied locals available one might ask?
work ethic.
Cheap pay is the main reason. Let's be truthful. I have seen many Hispanics with terrible work ethics in my day and have had to fire some for their terrible work ethic. Many of them think they deserve the job and have a right to come and go as they please.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:50 PM

196 posts, read 555,911 times
Quote:
work ethic.
I really can't blame you there.

Low-skilled African-American workers (many, not all) have a reputation of being very difficult, late, and ask for too many luxuries considering the type of work they're doing. Many employers don't want to deal with this, that's why you see many construction firms hiring illegals.

But, it's still not right to hand a potentially good paying job to an illegal immigrant that will send 25-35% of that money back to their country of origin, while one of your own citizens is sitting around unemployed. Hopefully local authority will crack down on illegal aliens soon before it gets too out of hand, right now the current mayor is looking like a joke.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInExiles View Post
I really can't blame you there.

Low-skilled African-American workers (many, not all) have a reputation of being very difficult, late, and ask for too many luxuries considering the type of work they're doing. Many employers don't want to deal with this, that's why you see many construction firms hiring illegals.

But, it's still not right to hand a potentially good paying job to an illegal immigrant that will send 25-35% of that money back to their country of origin, while one of your own citizens is sitting around unemployed. Hopefully local authority will crack down on illegal aliens soon before it gets too out of hand, right now the current mayor is looking like a joke.
No, the very first and the main reason illegals get hired for any job in this country is MONEY. Stop generalizing about blacks. So many in here have no problem generalizing about blacks but have terrible fits when people generalize about the damn illegals, Hispanics in general. Get over it and at least tell the whole damn truth.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Cheap pay is the main reason. Let's be truthful. I have seen many Hispanics with terrible work ethics in my day and have had to fire some for their terrible work ethic. Many of them think they deserve the job and have a right to come and go as they please.
issue is cheap pay??, 4th generation of unemployment???
if the wage and benefits and work conditions were right of course i would take the job
oh yeah heard that plenty
denial is not a river in egypt.
signed
a former NO resident

Old 12-25-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
cheap pay, 4th generation of unemployment.
denial is not a river in egypt.
Since I am of Mexican descent and own my own business, I believe I am a bit more qualified than you to know what I am talking about. Pay and money is the main reason illegals get hired for anything in this country. You can't possibly believe it is because they are the best workers doing the best job. If you do, then you are sadly mistaken. Most illegals do terrible work and their quality sucks the big one. If you want a real artisan of some kind, then hire a Mexican that is here legally with a green card because Mexico does have some great artisans that work with wood and tin and copper and etc. If you want half-assed work done for el cheapo, then hire an illegal.

The one thing you are correct about is the over abundance of lazy people who think they don't have to work for a living and just suck off the teet of the government.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:03 AM

197 posts, read 231,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInExiles View Post
Is New Orleans a "sanctuary city"?

I know is the city of the "Saints"

Old 12-25-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Since I am of Mexican descent and own my own business, I believe I am a bit more qualified than you to know what I am talking about. Pay and money is the main reason illegals get hired for anything in this country. You can't possibly believe it is because they are the best workers doing the best job. If you do, then you are sadly mistaken. Most illegals do terrible work and their quality sucks the big one. If you want a real artisan of some kind, then hire a Mexican that is here legally with a green card because Mexico does have some great artisans that work with wood and tin and copper and etc. If you want half-assed work done for el cheapo, then hire an illegal.
i am not a contractor. but know a little bit about employment and NO.
more qualified than me to make statements?? do you know me?
do you know NO? no disrespect however your post seems very anti mexican, strange from somone saying they are mexican american.
my post was about why are not contractors hiring locals. based on my own knowledge of NO i dont think it is just a wage issue. attitude counts. NO has a bad culture of hard core unemployment. i am in an excellent position to say that.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:21 AM

196 posts, read 555,911 times
Quote:
No, the very first and the main reason illegals get hired for any job in this country is MONEY.
...and WORK ETHIC.

Quote:
Stop generalizing about blacks.
I'm not generalizing.

First, I'm Black myself (not African-American).

Second, I'm talking about low skilled African-American workers. Much of what I've described above applies to a large portion of low skilled African-American workers I've encountered, and from what I've been told from others who have hired them.

Quote:
So many in here have no problem generalizing about blacks but have terrible fits when people generalize about the damn illegals, Hispanics in general. Get over it and at least tell the whole damn truth.
No one is generalizing, I'm talking from my personal experiences, and from what associates have told me.

The only person here I notice having a "terrible fit" is you.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:28 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,897,766 times
Quote:

The one thing you are correct about is the over abundance of lazy people who think they don't have to work for a living and just suck off the teet of the government.

1. I don't think you're really of Mexican descent.
2. Why do you throw that out there as if it gives you more credibility? How does that make you "more qualified"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or