U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2008, 09:23 PM
 
197 posts, read 231,631 times
Reputation: 42

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
We've heard last names: Rodriguez, Smith, Johnson, Perez...question is, are we (ones with these last names) related somehow? I want to know about Rodriguez in particular. There are so MANY..... I am not one Thank God. But were does that last name come from?? Also the first name Carlos?? Why so many "Carlos Rodriguez", out there?? Seems like everyone from Mexico has one of the two words somewhere in their name.

The fact that Spanish names are so prevalent in the U.S. is because Spanish decesndants have been here since long before any other european group, Juan Ponce de Leon founded the first city in U.S. territory long before the pilgrims came here, in fact spaniards had also explored the mississipi river, also as a single european group, spanish descendants are probably the single largest one in the united states, since other groups are quite divided into english, irish, german, polish, etc.
it makes perfect sense that spanish names and culture dominate in the U.S.

 
Old 12-24-2008, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
It means son of Rodrigo.

And my last name means Libertarian Man. I'm like a superhero. I fly around cyberspace, fighting socialists. 'n stuff.
Damn the taxes full speed ahead.....
 
Old 12-24-2008, 11:32 PM
 
Location: Missouri
3,640 posts, read 4,310,069 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
The fact that Spanish names are so prevalent in the U.S. is because Spanish decesndants have been here since long before any other european group, Juan Ponce de Leon founded the first city in U.S. territory long before the pilgrims came here, in fact spaniards had also explored the mississipi river, also as a single european group, spanish descendants are probably the single largest one in the united states, since other groups are quite divided into english, irish, german, polish, etc.
it makes perfect sense that spanish names and culture dominate in the U.S.
Here we go again...NO, not the culture. Get over it. The European culture is the dominate one here and YOU need to get used to it and stop trying to ram the Mexican/Spanish culture down our throats. I am telling you this, it will backfire and you will not like it one damn bit.

BTW, before you go crazy, I am of Mexican descent.

Last edited by Anonymous Political Junky; 12-25-2008 at 12:01 AM..
 
Old 12-24-2008, 11:55 PM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,757 posts, read 32,907,406 times
Reputation: 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
The fact that Spanish names are so prevalent in the U.S. is because Spanish decesndants have been here since long before any other european group, Juan Ponce de Leon founded the first city in U.S. territory long before the pilgrims came here, in fact spaniards had also explored the mississipi river, also as a single european group, spanish descendants are probably the single largest one in the united states, since other groups are quite divided into english, irish, german, polish, etc.
it makes perfect sense that spanish names and culture dominate in the U.S.
In the US, partial Spanish descendants are numerous, as people from Latin America have large populations. But to say that European Spaniards and their descendants are the largest European group in the US is just laughable. They probably rank far below any of the ones you mentioned. I am not going to Google anything at this point, but I think your contention is way, way off. In what state do Spaniards or their descendants (not Mexicans or other Latinos), predominate?
 
Old 12-25-2008, 12:10 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,899,154 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Looks like we the people of the USA, come up with all the good names, then the illegals take them apart and make a name for themselves...
Oh my god, you have to be joking. That's a good one, I don't think anyone would honestly say anything that ignorant.
LOL.
 
Old 12-25-2008, 07:21 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Reputation: 2983
Default Name Thievery a Growing Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Oh my god, you have to be joking. That's a good one, I don't think anyone would honestly say anything that ignorant.
LOL.
Don't be so sure. The police in Texas are just now tracking the members of the "Don Smith" gang. A HUGE group if undocumented folks, freshly arrived from Chiapas, who have ALL adopted the SAME social security number and the name "Don Smith". (that's what's referred to as 'stealing our names'). Of course, they're not fooling ANYBODY, but it DOES cause problems. Imagine trying to run an orange-picking operation, when half your crew was named "Don Smith"..

(these trusting illegals were duped into adopting that particular name by some evil employer, who had heard that the name "Don" was a title of respect in Mexico).

Watch out for more "name thieves" as this thing develops in the near future. Anything could happen....and probably will.
 
Old 12-25-2008, 07:39 AM
 
31,385 posts, read 31,062,067 times
Reputation: 14878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
The European culture is the dominate one here and YOU need to get used to it and stop trying to ram the Mexican/Spanish culture down our throats.

Did they move Spain out of Europe while I was asleep?

Anyway, I hope you don't live in one of those "European" communities like:

Boca Raton,
St. Augustine
El Cerito
San Diego
Los Angeles
San Francisco
San Antonio
Pas Christian
 
Old 12-25-2008, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
The fact that Spanish names are so prevalent in the U.S. is because Spanish decesndants have been here since long before any other european group, Juan Ponce de Leon founded the first city in U.S. territory long before the pilgrims came here, in fact spaniards had also explored the mississipi river, also as a single european group, spanish descendants are probably the single largest one in the united states, since other groups are quite divided into english, irish, german, polish, etc.
it makes perfect sense that spanish names and culture dominate in the U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Here we go again...NO, not the culture. Get over it. The European culture is the dominate one here and YOU need to get used to it and stop trying to ram the Mexican/Spanish culture down our throats. I am telling you this, it will backfire and you will not like it one damn bit.

BTW, before you go crazy, I am of Mexican descent.
If the 'Spanish descended' game is going to be played: yes; their descendants are indeed the most common Americans-----------factoring in the English, Irish, etc. whose ancestors originated from pre Hispanic Spain thousands of years ago.
 
Old 12-25-2008, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Garland Texas
3,081 posts, read 6,604,621 times
Reputation: 2101
Arent we all related in one way shape or form. Isn't that what Christians believe? We all came from Adam and Eve, so therefore we all must be related!
 
Old 12-25-2008, 07:55 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Did they move Spain out of Europe while I was asleep?

Anyway, I hope you don't live in one of those "European" communities like:

Boca Raton,
St. Augustine
El Cerito
San Diego
Los Angeles
San Francisco
San Antonio
Pas Christian
Fresno?
Sacramento?
Las Vegas?
Santa Fe?
Bakersfield?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top