U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 12:25 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
Puebla?, el paso?, santa monica?, santa rosa?, sacramento?, phoenix, yuma?, etc.
Buena Vista-----------Virginia?

And there is Mexico, Missouri

On a more serious note: I believe that 'Fresno' is Armenian.

As for Phoenix: that is is not Hispanic either

Sacramento can also be Italian

Old 12-25-2008, 01:36 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
On a more serious note: I believe that 'Fresno' is Armenian.

As for Phoenix: that is is not Hispanic either

Sacramento can also be Italian
Close...."Fresno" is the Spanish term for the "ash" tree family....(Fraxinus)..as in "Los Fresnos", Texas...BUT you're correct in that Fresno is generally recognized at the "Armenian Capitol of the US"....Lots of "ian"-ending surnames up there. Famous Armenian author William Saroyan was from Fresno, and the Armenians pioneered much of the agriculture in the area. When we had Governor George Deukmejian some years back, I ASSUMED he was from Fresno...(turns out I was wrong...I believe he was born in New York)...

Old 12-26-2008, 12:05 AM

171 posts, read 202,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Right!!! Seems to be only two things their good at.. Stealing our jobs and making more babies.

OK, Johny, let the elders speak for a second here: Rodriguez is a derivation from a first name : Rodrigo. Everyone whose father was named Rodrigo, took up the last name Rodriguez. (eng for James, but can translate as Roderick).Same happened for Perez, if your father's house was Pero, or Pedro,(Peter). Russians had a similar fashion but they added -vich or evich to the ending.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:29 PM

1,687 posts, read 5,256,539 times
Just to add a little here, if it is spelled with an "s" instead of a "z"-
Rodrigues
it is very likely a Portuguese surname.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Just to add a little here, if it is spelled with an "s" instead of a "z"-
Rodrigues
it is very likely a Portuguese surname.
True that.

In fact: some East Indians have Iberian surnames due to the Portuguese influence in Goa. Also parts of Africa (Mozambique I believe) have lots of folks with the same names.

Now for interesting:

The English director: Sam Mendes
The German actor/director: Lothar Mendes
The Brazilian musician: Sergio Mendes
The Mexican actress: Eva Mendes

All of the above are of different ethnicities with just one a 'Hispanic'.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
True that.

In fact: some East Indians have Iberian surnames due to the Portuguese influence in Goa. Also parts of Africa (Mozambique I believe) have lots of folks with the same names.

Now for interesting:

The English director: Sam Mendes
The German actor/director: Lothar Mendes
The Brazilian musician: Sergio Mendes
The Mexican actress: Eva Mendes

All of the above are of different ethnicities with just one a 'Hispanic'.
I recall some years ago, some high-level official in the Indian government w/the surname "Silva"....classic Portuguese...

Old 12-26-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I recall some years ago, some high-level official in the Indian government w/the surname "Silva"....classic Portuguese...
George Fernandes: the (former) Indian Defence Minister.

Michael Portillo: the former British Defence Minister.

And; there is Dinesh D'Souza, the conservative pundit.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
George Fernandes: the (former) Indian Defence Minister.

Michael Portillo: the former British Defence Minister.

And; there is Dinesh D'Souza, the conservative pundit.
Robert E Lee....American military officer, President of the Confederate States of America..born Stratford Hall, Virginia.....

Bruce Lee....American actor and martial arts expert...born San Francisco, California

Old 12-26-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Robert E Lee....American military officer, President of the Confederate States of America..born Stratford Hall, Virginia.....

Bruce Lee....American actor and martial arts expert...born San Francisco, California
No joke there.

I once knew a Kim Lee back in the Wash DC area; till I met here (blonde haired White woman)--------I thought she was Korean.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:31 PM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,466,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Looks like we the people of the USA, come up with all the good names, then the illegals take them apart and make a name for themselves...
So why are there so many Smiths??? Because there are tons of them, boy I wonder if all are related to the original Mr.Smith?

HERE we go again...What the heck has last names have to do with Illegals??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or