U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2008, 11:51 PM
 
Location: Texas
78 posts, read 180,117 times
Reputation: 23

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
We've heard last names: Rodriguez, Smith, Johnson, Perez...question is, are we (ones with these last names) related somehow? I want to know about Rodriguez in particular. There are so MANY..... I am not one Thank God. But were does that last name come from?? Also the first name Carlos?? Why so many "Carlos Rodriguez", out there?? Seems like everyone from Mexico has one of the two words somewhere in their name.
How about Smith? There are so many out there in our country??????

What's up with "I am not one Thank God."? Is that an insult?

 
Old 12-28-2008, 09:20 AM
 
1,126 posts, read 2,380,171 times
Reputation: 566
Rodriguez means "son of Rodrigo". This happens in every language, even in English eg Robertson, Johnson, etc. The level of ignorance shown on this very board never ceases to amaze me.
 
Old 12-28-2008, 09:38 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
Rodriguez means "son of Rodrigo". .
Well, if THAT'S what it means, why don't they just come out and SAY it, and save us all this arguing !!

"Ignorance, Schmignorance" !....What level of ingnorance did you EXPECT to find on a forum? This is the 'cyber-equivalent' of a barroom 'bull session'.....you're going to hear some 'pearls of wisdom'. mixed in with various levels of 'lesser' thoughts....(typing is much easier than formulating ideas)....
 
Old 12-28-2008, 09:44 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoPlanner View Post

What's up with "I am not one Thank God."? Is that an insult?
At the very least, it certainly sounds like a 'slap in the face' to our Atheist contributors....."thank WHO ?"......
 
Old 12-28-2008, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Texas
78 posts, read 180,117 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
At the very least, it certainly sounds like a 'slap in the face' to our Atheist contributors....."thank WHO ?"......
No, because our racist John made a comment about thanking God that he is not a "Rodriguez". If you know John, he is thanking God he is not Mexican or any part of it. Plus, he deliberately chose this last name instead of Smith because he is trying to make a joke about supposedly there being so many Rodriguez'. Thank you, and I am Catholic.
 
Old 12-28-2008, 10:59 AM
 
1,126 posts, read 2,380,171 times
Reputation: 566
is it me, or did I read someone saying that the Spanish toponyms spread along the Southwest are of Mexican origin?
 
Old 12-28-2008, 01:47 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoPlanner View Post
No, because our racist John made a comment about thanking God that he is not a "Rodriguez". If you know John, he is thanking God he is not Mexican or any part of it. Plus, he deliberately chose this last name instead of Smith because he is trying to make a joke about supposedly there being so many Rodriguez'. Thank you, and I am Catholic.
I suspect that many of the Rodriguez's thank God, too..that John isn't one of them....
 
Old 12-28-2008, 01:54 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
is it me, or did I read someone saying that the Spanish toponyms spread along the Southwest are of Mexican origin?
I would suspect FEW Southwestern Spanish-language toponyms are of Mexican origin....since Mexico only "held" the US Southwest briefly...most of the area went from Spain, briefly to Mexico, then in a short few years to US annexation.

Makes one wonder just WHAT the story is, behind the "Rio Grande River", or the "Sierra Nevada Mountains"....or "Mission Viejo"....or "Frisco Bay". A real mess, that one.
 
Old 12-28-2008, 01:58 PM
 
1,126 posts, read 2,380,171 times
Reputation: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I would suspect FEW Southwestern Spanish-language toponyms are of Mexican origin....since Mexico only "held" the US Southwest briefly...most of the area went from Spain, briefly to Mexico, then in a short few years to US annexation.

Makes one wonder just WHAT the story is, behind the "Rio Grande River", or the "Sierra Nevada Mountains"....or "Mission Viejo"....or "Frisco Bay". A real mess, that one.
I know, but it seems that some think otherwise.
 
Old 12-28-2008, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoPlanner View Post
No, because our racist John made a comment about thanking God that he is not a "Rodriguez". If you know John, he is thanking God he is not Mexican or any part of it. Plus, he deliberately chose this last name instead of Smith because he is trying to make a joke about supposedly there being so many Rodriguez'. Thank you, and I am Catholic.
So you are a racist if you are glad or thankful that you are of the race you were born? Its racist to not want to be of another race? I love the asian culture. I love Thailand and Japan. But I am more than glad that I am white. Not because I think less of other races, but because I know what I am and have no desire to covet what I am not.
I thank god that I was not born in Mexico. Its a dump. Its corrupt. Why would anyone wish to be from mexico?
Racist? I think not. Angry about how Mexican citizens abuse our border absolutely. Angry about how many Mexican americans support and facilitate said illegals? Justifiably so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top