U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 11:38 PM

171 posts, read 202,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I would suspect FEW Southwestern Spanish-language toponyms are of Mexican origin....since Mexico only "held" the US Southwest briefly...most of the area went from Spain, briefly to Mexico, then in a short few years to US annexation.

Makes one wonder just WHAT the story is, behind the "Rio Grande River", or the "Sierra Nevada Mountains"....or "Mission Viejo"....or "Frisco Bay". A real mess, that one.
That is because the Spanish padres and conquistadors controlled that area after they "discovered " it, and were al around the place building schools, churches, garrisons, etc, you can google junipero serra, cabeza de vaca, etc, i dont claim to be a historian here

Old 12-29-2008, 12:33 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,680,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
We've heard last names: Rodriguez, Smith, Johnson, Perez...question is, are we (ones with these last names) related somehow? I want to know about Rodriguez in particular. There are so MANY..... I am not one Thank God. But were does that last name come from?? Also the first name Carlos?? Why so many "Carlos Rodriguez", out there?? Seems like everyone from Mexico has one of the two words somewhere in their name.
Why would you think that?

Old 12-29-2008, 05:53 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
then you would agree that generalizing about a country, and proclaiming it a dump is pretty silly.
thats what would prompt a repsonse like that. silly unfounded generalizations.

you can have a preference for a vacation home with out deriding another country like mexico. i dont have to say, i love costa rica, but mexico is a dump. its a reaction to lash out at a county and call it a dump just because you think mexican citizens are abusing the US. your anger or dislike comes from the fact that you are mad about what SOME mexicans do. but does it warrant calling a country a dump. not one bit. call it an accessory. or enabler. but a dump. as a country? no. just like thailand.

thats pretty simple to understand.

but there are just too many generalizations in the immigration forum. especially about mexicans and latinos.

that will usually elicit a response from me. idiotic posts that generalize.

as for what countries i have been to or not, dont worry about it. this aint a peesing match. i aint tryin to out-travel you. thats not what its about. thats funny tho, thanks for the laughs.

QUOTE=tinman01;6740566]Well then what can I say?
Uneducated? Got me.
Not very knowledgeable? Got me but I will bet I have been to more countries than you have. Right around 21 if memory serves I will list them if you desire with dates.
No what in my post warrented such a reply?
Reactionary? You assume a lot.
Those who wish to go to Mexico are free to go. I myself have seen a little of what Mexico offers and prefer alternative digs.
For me Thailand is Paradise waiting for my retirement. Humble people good food reasonable cost of living.
And I would add that Multitudes of Americans are moving to Thailand. No just what does that prove? Nothing. It just proves that some people want to go there.
[/quote]

Bottom line: since Mexico either cannot or will not treat its 'brown' people with respect hence 'forcing' them to come here for work---------I will come on out and say that Mexico is indeed a dump.

My respect for that nation is diminishing more and more. Sad because Mx could be a socio-economic powerhouse but chooses to be one level above Sudan.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:33 AM
Yac

5,874 posts, read 6,292,130 times
This thread is not about immigration.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or