U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 09:08 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,250,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Is there really places like that??
Like in 'Deliverance'?
EEk.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:10 PM

3,509 posts, read 7,317,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Some people (OK, me!) like to learn languages as a hobby. Some of us enjoy learning a language so that we can read, watch movies and chat with people overseas in a different language. If YOU don't want to learn another language, that's fine, but many of us WANT to.
I'm the same way too. I want to learn another language as a hobby, thats why I'm continuing my spanish in college. Learning other languages is useful, especially if you planning to travel outside the US one day.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:12 PM

20,310 posts, read 19,467,026 times
Quote:
Some people (OK, me!) like to learn languages as a hobby. Some of us enjoy learning a language so that we can read, watch movies and chat with people overseas in a different language. If YOU don't want to learn another language, that's fine, but many of us WANT to.
I speak 2 languages and can get my point across in 2 others....
So learn as many as you like. My post was for John anyway. He feels no need to learn more and I support him in his decision. He has no plans to travel to spanish speaking lands so he has no need other than for personal satsfaction.
I also enjoy learning languages. Spanish will not be one of them, Why? No not because of hispanic people. But because I have no desire to travel to spanish speaking countries. Been to spain. Loved it. I am just not going back.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:19 PM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,507,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous political junky View Post
who in the hell said it was a disgrace? That came from you and nobody else. Gotta love the spin that comes from people who think illegals are just ok. I am of mexican descent and i want all illegals out of this country. I want to see english be the official language of the country and any and all government business conducted in only english, meaning no damn interpretor for getting drivers licenses and such as that. English only for all ballots for voting for anything anywhere. In the la areas one time we had voting ballots in over 29 different languages. How wrong is that? Very damn wrong if you ask me. My wife happens to be persian and she speaks farsi, as i also speak farsi. How about we demand that farsi be spoken by all government employees so others who also speak that language don't have to worry about learning english? How about the many different dialects of chinese? Would that also be ok with you?
if you speak farsi..then maybe you should apply for a gov job, they are always looking for farsi speakers..but naturally you need to speak, write and read farsi perfectly...

there are places that are looking for people who are bilingual in japanese...chinese....german...and even russian...so

be my guess...keep knocking down spanish speakers..soon there wont be any jobs left for any of you people who are against others languages being learned and spoken!!

Old 12-28-2008, 09:29 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,866,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG1951 View Post
if you speak farsi..then maybe you should apply for a gov job, they are always looking for farsi speakers..but naturally you need to speak, write and read farsi perfectly...

there are places that are looking for people who are bilingual in japanese...chinese....german...and even russian...so

be my guess...keep knocking down spanish speakers..soon there wont be any jobs left for any of you people who are against others languages being learned and spoken!!
See, here's the thing.

None of us are against anyone learning another language. I myself, am continuing Spanish and beginning Lakota for my graduate degree.

Our problem is with those who come to this country and refuse to learn the de-facto lingua franca of the United States--English. It really doesn't matter if they are Spanish speakers, Mandrin Chinese speakers, or speakers of Abaga, from the Eastern Highlands Province of Papua, New Guinea. If you emigrate to another country, then it is your responsibility to assimilate into your host country.

Period.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:01 PM
ECG

Quote:
Like in 'Deliverance'?
EEk.

LOL

Old 12-28-2008, 10:06 PM

20,310 posts, read 19,467,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG1951 View Post
LOL
Noxenite to the sheep: Yew shore have pretty wool... LOL

Old 12-28-2008, 11:08 PM
ECG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Noxenite to the sheep: Yew shore have pretty wool... LOL

Old 12-29-2008, 02:21 AM

1,435 posts, read 3,580,213 times
Quote:
Besides: there is no Hispanic race----------they can range from Nordic White to Black with everything else. Not all Latinos are Spanish speaking Indians.
Most Hispanics have significant Amerindian admixture and for most of them it is usually very visible in their appearence because most Hispanics have Amerindian influenced high cheekbones and Amerindian influenced almond shaped eyes. When somebody says that a person "looks Hispanic" that person almost always has those 2 physical features that I mentioned.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:45 AM

21,148 posts, read 37,473,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Most Hispanics have significant Amerindian admixture and for most of them it is usually very visible in their appearence because most Hispanics have Amerindian influenced high cheekbones and Amerindian influenced almond shaped eyes. When somebody says that a person "looks Hispanic" that person almost always has those 2 physical features that I mentioned.
You are describing Mestizos.............

Argentina is 97% White-----------and, 100% Hispanic under US government guidelines along with both Spain and Uruguay as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration