U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-10-2009, 01:02 PM
 
1,435 posts, read 3,506,315 times
Reputation: 524

Advertisements

Quote:
That is weird being that many Germans, Italians and so on have olive skin, dark eyes and dark hair along with high cheekbones.
Many Bulgarians as well. A an American born Bulgarian friend of mine has told me that sometimes she gets confused for being Hispanic because of her dark exotic features.

 
Old 01-10-2009, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Many Bulgarians as well. A an American born Bulgarian friend of mine has told me that sometimes she gets confused for being Hispanic because of her dark exotic features.
No joke there: a friend of mine who is of either 1/2 or full Hungarian lineage gets mistaken for Asian or Indian quite frequently (full lips, high cheekbones, dark hair and the slanted Asian eyes)----------never mind that she is counted as 100% Anglo White, legally speaking.
 
Old 01-10-2009, 02:22 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Many Bulgarians as well. A an American born Bulgarian friend of mine has told me that sometimes she gets confused for being Hispanic because of her dark exotic features.
"Exotic" in relation to what, exactly? Are light features "normal"? Who's the judge of whether a person is "exotic".....and what gives them the power to make such a judgement?

Maybe your friend should inform the people she confuses that she's 'normal', and that their confusion is misguided.
 
Old 01-10-2009, 02:46 PM
 
1,435 posts, read 3,506,315 times
Reputation: 524
Quote:
"Exotic" in relation to what, exactly? Are light features "normal"?
Light features are the norm among people who draw either most or their entire ancestry back to Northern Europe. Bulgaria is located in Southeast Europe where dark features are alot more common. That country shares a border with Greece, Romania, and Turkey.
 
Old 01-10-2009, 03:24 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Light features are the norm among people who draw either most or their entire ancestry back to Northern Europe. Bulgaria is located in Southeast Europe where dark features are alot more common. That country shares a border with Greece, Romania, and Turkey.
Yes....so there are more exotics among Southeastern Europeans, as opposed to Northern Europe, whose population is made up of mostly "regular" people. I think I get it.

Thanks.
 
Old 01-10-2009, 05:33 PM
 
608 posts, read 880,943 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That is weird being that many Germans, Italians and so on have olive skin, dark eyes and dark hair along with high cheekbones.

In fact: I once knew a woman from Spain was definitely White...........her daughter was as Nordic as they came-------never mind that both women could claim Latino/Hispanic despite being blue eyed blondes.
Looking alike doesn't prevent discrimination. It is just an observation that I would have just written this off however, I heard it from several Northern Europeans in different conversations.
 
Old 01-10-2009, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
Looking alike doesn't prevent discrimination. It is just an observation that I would have just written this off however, I heard it from several Northern Europeans in different conversations.
I understand what you are now saying: the differences are cultural--------read that an 'Afro'-Deutsch (Black German) citizen would be more likely to be accepted by his White German countrymen vs. a White Spaniard.
 
Old 01-10-2009, 06:48 PM
 
117 posts, read 132,057 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I understand what you are now saying: the differences are cultural--------read that an 'Afro'-Deutsch (Black German) citizen would be more likely to be accepted by his White German countrymen vs. a White Spaniard.
Really??I wonder. Did some duty over there. The germans I worked with seemed to have a very low regard for blacks in general. The fact that they have some black germans who are nothing short of extraordinary spec ops doesn't seem to phase their thinking.
 
Old 01-10-2009, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherhead View Post
Really??I wonder. Did some duty over there. The germans I worked with seemed to have a very low regard for blacks in general. The fact that they have some black germans who are nothing short of extraordinary spec ops doesn't seem to phase their thinking.
What kind of duty? What Unit were you with?
Did it have something to do with papa kilo??? Kabar- tango whiskey?
The ghosts are walking
do they talk???????????????
I need to know. Not many folks know about those black spec operators who are the illegitmate children of american servicemen..
Leatherhead PM me please.
 
Old 01-10-2009, 07:58 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherhead View Post
Really??I wonder. Did some duty over there. The germans I worked with seemed to have a very low regard for blacks in general. .
I'd imagine they're still mad at Jesse Owens, and probably 'taking it out' on people they see as 'looking like him'.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top