U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 03:07 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Well, you talk about Mexico being a cesspool, the culture being a sham, etc.
Sounds like you have some prejudices against Mexicans.

To clear things up, this is the definition of prejudice I am using:

You know that whole, getting a creepy feeling as soon as you get closer to the Mexican border? You know how you refuse to ever go over there and find about the culture you talk so much about?
Thats a good definition. Your post is fair in that you call out that many are biased based on media or hear say experiences. AZ Bear however lives in an area with a high concentration of hispanics both legal and illegal. One can argue that AZ Bear gets a taste of the mexican culture everyday.
I love the Thai culture. That doesn't mean that I love the entire culture. Parts of it make me wonder. Like its always the girls fault if she gets pregnant out of wed lock. Often an entire family will disown said girl. She shamed the family. My pont being AZ is a staunch anti illegal speaker. As am I and many others. But I have never heard AZ call for abusing illegals nor for abusing mexicans as a whole.
I have no desire to go to Mexico. I have no desire to learn their culture. Am I prejudice? I don't think so. I hate how they run their country, and I hate the apparent disrespect for our laws, our rights as a nation. You say its not their culture. But their actions scream otherwise. No I don't hate mexicans as a people. But I do dislike the blatant disrespect shown by mexican illegals or any illegal for that matter.
But thank you for posting that definition. It was spot on.

Last edited by tinman01; 01-12-2009 at 03:21 PM..

Old 01-12-2009, 03:41 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
I am against illegal (criminal) immigration no matter what country the criminal came from.... I am a dual Irish and American citizen and any Irish illegal aliens can go home...
"Sooooooo (as my Jewish psychoanalyst might ask), when did you begin hating your Irish ancestors ?".....

He's a pretty odd guy, of course..but I'm sure he'd want to know...

Old 01-12-2009, 03:51 PM

1,435 posts, read 3,506,803 times
Quote:
Well, you talk about Mexico being a cesspool
The millions of Mexicans who are living illegally here in the U.S do not see their home country of Mexico as a desirable place to live. Undesirable place to live = cesspool.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:10 PM

2,490 posts, read 4,789,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
"Sooooooo (as my Jewish psychoanalyst might ask), when did you begin hating your Irish ancestors ?".....

He's a pretty odd guy, of course..but I'm sure he'd want to know...
No, try reading the post again. I am the son of legal irish immigrants. I don't believe in illegal immigrants being allowed to stay in the United States, be they Mexican, Irish or whatever. Wanting people to obey the law is not "hating" them...

Old 01-13-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
No, try reading the post again. I am the son of legal irish immigrants. I don't believe in illegal immigrants being allowed to stay in the United States, be they Mexican, Irish or whatever. Wanting people to obey the law is not "hating" them...
I understand that...but my psychoanalyst wouldn't. He'd think that if you wanted to exclude illegal Irish, it MUST be because you "hate the Irish...and their culture". He might even call you a "Hibernophobic".....He's an educated man, but he wouldn't "get" your situation. I do.....

Old 01-14-2009, 02:07 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,898,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
There is a difference: the White supremacy in 'Anglo' culture is being challenged by us (Barack Obama is an example) whereas there is still a lot of denial amongst Latinos about their version of White supremacy.

A quick look at a Mexican telenovela makes that quite clear: where are the Mestizo roles------------considering that Mexico is ca. 90% Mestizo/Indian? At least US shows depict the majority of Americans.
While there are a lot of White Mexicans on novelas there also many mestizos. You don't know what a mestizo looks like.

A person doesn't have to look like this

to be a mestizo.

Again, look at all of Mexico's national heroes and get back to me. You're looking at a tv show.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
While there are a lot of White Mexicans on novelas there also many mestizos. You don't know what a mestizo looks like.

to be a mestizo.

Again, look at all of Mexico's national heroes and get back to me. You're looking at a tv show.
OK....but "la India Maria" (Maria Elena Velasco) is hardly an example of mestizo....is she? I thought the whole point was that she DIDN'T fit in the 'mainstream culture".

She's probably no better example than the many 'gueras' we speak of.

Not to discount your posts...only that Maria is hardly a good example.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:29 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,723 times
Quote:

to be a mestizo.

antialphabet I posted this on the Mexican forum in case you missed it.

DNA research firms quench a thirst for ancestral details going way, way back

Frudakis and Shriver say interpreting some results is trickier. Some people who know they have indigenous roots in America get back results showing they have some East Asian genes, says Frudakis. This probably means their distant ancestors made the migration over the Bering Strait bridge from Asia later than other native peoples, starting some 20,000 years ago. That's why C.M. Pascal, a 61-year-old, self-described Mexican-American, was surprised when her results from DNA Print said she was 54 percent European, 7 percent Native American and 38 percent East Asian.
"DNA Print told me it was because of migration patterns, that my indigenous ancestors immigrated later than people who show up as Native American, who came earlier," Pascal said.

Most people who get back surprising results are whites who learn they had Native American or African ancestors, but a few African-Americans find out their dark skin came from indigenous Americans.
So far, DNA Print alone has done more than 4,000 tests on individuals like Helen Hoverman, 42, of Buford, Ga.

The native of Puerto Rico figured her test would say she was mostly Native American, with some European. That would have meshed with family legend and her "fairly dark skin, dark hair and brown eyes."
Instead, it said she was 43 percent European, 8 percent East Asian and 49 percent African.

"I was surprised, but that clarifies my dark skin," she says.
She and her husband have a 5-month-old daughter, who resembles her fair-skinned, hazel-eyed father. His test says he's 99 percent European and 1 percent East Asian.
"It's good for her to know her heritage," she says. Adds husband Chris, 45: "It's interesting, knowing how we're all blending, and more and more in recent years."
Genealogy evolves | The San Diego Union-Tribune

Old 01-14-2009, 02:30 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,899,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
The millions of Mexicans who are living illegally here in the U.S do not see their home country of Mexico as a desirable place to live. Undesirable place to live = cesspool.
I don't think that you can make that connection. There are many beautiful places that aren't desirable places to live (too expensive, too remote, too crowded) that aren't 'cesspools'. Illegal immigrants come to the US from Mexico because they don't have jobs, not because Mexico is a 'cesspool'. Just ask the millions of middle and upper class Mexicans...it can be an amazing place to live (with $$$).

Old 01-14-2009, 04:07 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,898,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
OK....but "la India Maria" (Maria Elena Velasco) is hardly an example of mestizo....is she? I thought the whole point was that she DIDN'T fit in the 'mainstream culture".

She's probably no better example than the many 'gueras' we speak of.

Not to discount your posts...only that Maria is hardly a good example.
It wasn't an example of a mestizo, or a mestizo based novela.

I'm saying someone may look fair skinned with European features, and still be a Mestizo.
If you don't see any mestizos on tv, it might be because one thinks someone has to look like India Maria to look mestizo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration