U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 11:42 AM

3,496 posts, read 8,340,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Are there any Mexican Americans in Hollywood that you think have an appearecne that is believable enough to play a Frenchman, Italian, or Greek ?
Jessica Alba
Anthony Quinn
Andy Garcia (Cuban)
Salma Hayek
Damian Chapa
Lynda Carter

Old 01-15-2009, 11:59 AM

24 posts, read 128,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
I see in this forum how people tend to equalize anti-illegal sentiment with anti-hispanic, as if they are the same.
Here in Texas it is one in the same. I will add that the illegals coming into our country from Mexico have no interest in being a U.S. citizen. They come here for one purpose. To get what they can and take it back to Mexico. They come here demanding we assimilate to their way instead of them assimilating to the U.S. Others simply want to overthrow the U.S. southern states and make it Mexico. There is no other culture that takes more, demands more, and has hatred for the American than Mexico. The Mexican government has even helped to smuggle middle eastern terrorists across our southern borders. They take advantage of everything they can. IMO, they are a hostile invasion.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:05 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Jessica Alba
Anthony Quinn
Andy Garcia (Cuban)
Salma Hayek
Damian Chapa
Lynda Carter
You forgot Linda Ronstadt and Raquel Welch.....But OK, OK, you found a FEW !!.....BIG DEAL !! Remember, Hollywood's not always 'trustworthy' anyway. Years ago, Kirk Douglas, a Ukrainian Jew, played a Viking. John Wayne, a military reject with a '4-F' draft status, played a war hero. Jesus Christ was played by a European White, and the multi-talented Dustin Hoffman played a retarded guy.

In western movies, Indians spoke native dialects when meeting with whites...then went home, where they spoke English. Mexican bandidos always 'giggled' as they robbed travelers...then apologized profusely as they rode away. Strangely, though bullets must have been expensive, these bandidos never shot their victims.... instead they shot randomly into the AIR as they rode away....what a waste. And no matter how hard they rode, they ALWAYS had time for a "fiesta" at night (and someone ALWAYS just happened to have a guitar handy....even in the wilderness).

Cowboys in the movies NEVER went into a saloon without having a fistfight. And even when they broke all the furniture up, and threw each other through the window, nobody EVER got a concussion, and the broken tables and chairs were ALWAYS replaced immediately.

Evil Roman emporers in movies ALWAYS spoke with a cold, sneering British accent. They NEVER sounded Italian.

With all the dishonesty that goes on in Hollywood, it seems to me that a "Mexican actor playing a Frenchman or Italian" is about the LEAST of our worries..

Old 01-15-2009, 12:07 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,657,730 times
Quote:
Jessica Alba
Anthony Quinn
Andy Garcia (Cuban)
Salma Hayek
Damian Chapa
Lynda Carter
Jeffrey Jason Garcia (born February 24, 1970 in Gilroy, California) is an American football quarterback for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the National Football League. Garcia's professional career began in the CFL before signing with the San Francisco 49ers and starting for them at quarterback for five seasons (1999-2003). After disappointing seasons in Cleveland and Detroit, Garcia resurrected his career in Philadelphia. Garcia is of Irish and Mexican descent. Garcia is one of four NFL starting quarterbacks who are Mexican-American; the other three being Tony Romo, J. P. Losman and Marc Bulger.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:08 PM

1,435 posts, read 3,505,889 times
Quote:
I think it probably bothers some people..those 'dishonest mestizos'....the ones you 'can't tell by looking'.

Reminds me of the story some years ago, on the Air Force Base at Mountain Home, Idaho. Apparently some black airman on base found out that Idaho had no state chapter of the Ku Klux Klan. He contacted the national "Headkwarters" by mail, and offered to found such a group, and 'chair' it.

KKK officials were enthused, thanked him profusely, (by mail), and sent him his 'starter kit' of literature, etc. He was able to pull this off for nearly a year, until the time came that he HAD to meet some of the 'higher ups'....at which time, he admitted his 'hoax' and resigned. KKK officials were NOT amused...(not even a LITTLE)..they saw NO humor in the situation, and they never contacted him again. I don't think they even THANKED him.

Perhaps these "mestizos who don't look mestizo" have the same effect. Like a black KKK member, an 'invisible mestizo' may overhear secret racist 'stuff' that could later prove embarrassing. I mean, if a person wants to go off on a 'tangent' about Mexican culture, and be able to 'say what's on his mind', he's going to have to be reasonably sure there are no mestizos in the room..right? Otherwise, he's going have to 'tone it down' quite a bit.

I think some people are more comfortable with a 'visible mestizo' than a 'stealth' one.

Just my own thoughts, mind you.... (I wouldn't DREAM of speaking for anyone else on this forum..)..
Technically there are over 24 million "Invisible Mestizos" in the U.S, but we we all know that in reality the number is nowhere near that high.
White Hispanic and Latino Americans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-15-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Technically there are over 24 million "Invisible Mestizos" in the U.S, but we we all know that in reality the number is nowhere near that high.
Frightening. I'm going to start keeping my eyes open. You just never know....

Old 01-15-2009, 12:23 PM

3,496 posts, read 8,340,555 times
Quote:
My wife is a "White Hispanic" so what is your point? You think your more American? You think you are somehow better? FYI, there is no way that she would ever consider herself white...

As for myself, I'm 6'1 and brown, but I can easily pass for an Italian, Greek, or even Middle Eastern...In fact I'm often asked. I tell them American...if they press...I say Hispanic.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:25 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,708,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Frightening. I'm going to start keeping my eyes open. You just never know....
I'm with you. The mere thought of 'stealth mestizos' is very troubling indeed.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I'm with you. The mere thought of 'stealth mestizos' is very troubling indeed.
Every bit as disconcerting as a law-abiding Italian, or a sober Irishman...or a peaceful Muslim. It just sort of shakes your confidence in 'how things are'.....

Old 01-15-2009, 11:26 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Quote:
My wife is a "White Hispanic" so what is your point? You think your more American? You think you are somehow better? FYI, there is no way that she would ever consider herself white...

As for myself, I'm 6'1 and brown, but I can easily pass for an Italian, Greek, or even Middle Eastern...In fact I'm often asked. I tell them American...if they press...I say Hispanic.
What is sad is that anyone would press you to begin with... Saying that you are american is or at least should be good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration