U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-26-2008, 12:33 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,427,088 times
Reputation: 47455

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
I see in this forum how people tend to equalize anti-illegal sentiment with anti-hispanic, as if they are the same. I am against illegal immigration of any kind, let it be hispanic, asian, irish, etc. however have nothing against
our spanish heritage which is rich, and older than the country itself since
our first european cities are Spanish, pre-dating english settlements for more than 100 years, our oldest city is St. Augustine, FL founded by Juan Ponce De leon. We can see our early spanish heritage through the south-east and western United States, more recently, in the last century there has been a gradual penetration of spanish culture on the remaining United States. Spanish communities have a significant political power, and you see hispanics, among them, a lot of people that you don't even realize are hispanics, at all levels of our society. Spanish is part of our culture, and we better learn to live with this fact, otherwise will be condemned to a life full of hate and anger, since Spanish culture is strong and will continue being so.
race card is a good tool. you are not posting angry threads against attacks on mexican people, others are. probably the most ambitious act so far on CDF is that some trying to play the card without race, very big jump.

 
Old 12-26-2008, 08:50 PM
 
197 posts, read 231,631 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
race card is a good tool. you are not posting angry threads against attacks on mexican people, others are. probably the most ambitious act so far on CDF is that some trying to play the card without race, very big jump.

We have the opportunity to make this work, reality can not be changed, the fact is that spanish culture is deeply rooted in our society, most hispanics cherish the institution of the United States, like so many other cultures, however, like those other cultures (i.e. chinese, indian, middle easterners, etc.) hispanics tend to keep sone of their traditions(music, cuisine, language), obviously not much is said about other cultures due to their relatively small numbers, but if an anti-hispanic sentiment becomes apparent, it will back-fire with the force of more than 50 million hispanics in U.S., reminiscent of the civil rights movement of the 1960's.
 
Old 12-26-2008, 09:07 PM
 
2,742 posts, read 6,741,896 times
Reputation: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
I see in this forum how people tend to equalize anti-illegal sentiment with anti-hispanic, as if they are the same. I am against illegal immigration of any kind, let it be hispanic, asian, irish, etc. however have nothing against
our spanish heritage which is rich, and older than the country itself since
our first european cities are Spanish, pre-dating english settlements for more than 100 years, our oldest city is St. Augustine, FL founded by Juan Ponce De leon. We can see our early spanish heritage through the south-east and western United States, more recently, in the last century there has been a gradual penetration of spanish culture on the remaining United States. Spanish communities have a significant political power, and you see hispanics, among them, a lot of people that you don't even realize are hispanics, at all levels of our society. Spanish is part of our culture, and we better learn to live with this fact, otherwise will be condemned to a life full of hate and anger, since Spanish culture is strong and will continue being so.
Actually since PR is part of the US San Juan and Guaynabo are the Oldest.
 
Old 12-27-2008, 05:37 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
We have the opportunity to make this work, reality can not be changed, the fact is that spanish culture is deeply rooted in our society, most hispanics cherish the institution of the United States, like so many other cultures, however, like those other cultures (i.e. chinese, indian, middle easterners, etc.) hispanics tend to keep sone of their traditions(music, cuisine, language), obviously not much is said about other cultures due to their relatively small numbers, but if an anti-hispanic sentiment becomes apparent, it will back-fire with the force of more than 50 million hispanics in U.S., reminiscent of the civil rights movement of the 1960's.
One huge thing that supported the Civil Rights Movement 50 years was the involvement of White (Anglo) people.

This time around: the hostility is growing against more and more aspects of 'Hispanic' culture. Too; about 1/3rd of the above are here illegally--------and, they are being forced out of the USA by the hundreds of thousands.

Needless to say: the pro advocacy groups have fewer and fewer friends these days----------especially since those idiotic illegal alien 'rights' marches May 2006. Hell; more and more American Blacks are turning against the above.

If I were Mexico (the source of most illegals); I would be petrified right about now.
 
Old 12-27-2008, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Reputation: 6517
If asked for advice by the Hispanic community on how to be better accepted by the rest of us I would tell them.
1. Publicly condemn the illegals who enter without a visa.
2. Work with immigration enforcement not against it.
3. Don't be afraid to call out the above efforts.
Right now the hispanic community is perceived as facilitators and enablers. And for a good reason. Many of them are Facilitators and enablers.
 
Old 12-27-2008, 12:44 PM
 
197 posts, read 231,631 times
Reputation: 42
[quote=ArizonaBear;6719203]One huge thing that supported the Civil Rights Movement 50 years was the involvement of White (Anglo) people.

This time around: the hostility is growing against more and more aspects of 'Hispanic' culture. Too; about 1/3rd of the above are here illegally--------and, they are being forced out of the USA by the hundreds of thousands.

GOOD LORD!!!!!!!, Is this the new definition for "spin"? , so it was just a "make believe" that the "anglos" abused and denigrated our african american brothers and sisters, with a condition of legal Apartheid almost until 1970????? was MLK a white boy??

BTW, if adding the undocumented to the mix of hispanics, their number reach about 75 million.
 
Old 12-27-2008, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Reputation: 6517
[quote=Mori-vivi;6722522]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
One huge thing that supported the Civil Rights Movement 50 years was the involvement of White (Anglo) people.

This time around: the hostility is growing against more and more aspects of 'Hispanic' culture. Too; about 1/3rd of the above are here illegally--------and, they are being forced out of the USA by the hundreds of thousands.

GOOD LORD!!!!!!!, Is this the new definition for "spin"? , so it was just a "make believe" that the "anglos" abused and denigrated our african american brothers and sisters, with a condition of legal Apartheid almost until 1970????? was MLK a white boy??

BTW, if adding the undocumented to the mix of hispanics, their number reach about 75 million.
Whats your point?
 
Old 12-27-2008, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
One huge thing that supported the Civil Rights Movement 50 years was the involvement of White (Anglo) people.

This time around: the hostility is growing against more and more aspects of 'Hispanic' culture. Too; about 1/3rd of the above are here illegally--------and, they are being forced out of the USA by the hundreds of thousands.

GOOD LORD!!!!!!!, Is this the new definition for "spin"? , so it was just a "make believe" that the "anglos" abused and denigrated our african american brothers and sisters, with a condition of legal Apartheid almost until 1970????? was MLK a white boy??

BTW, if adding the undocumented to the mix of hispanics, their number reach about 75 million.
Proof please re: your 75 million number of Latinos here in the USA.

Besides: there is no Hispanic race----------they can range from Nordic White to Black with everything else. Not all Latinos are Spanish speaking Indians.

Besides: quite a few Latinos are quite anti illegal immigration as well.
 
Old 12-27-2008, 03:05 PM
 
197 posts, read 231,631 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I completely agree. Here in Wyoming and also in Colorado, the French influence is seen much more frequently than Spanish. Does that mean that the U.S. should roll over for mass illegal immigration from France?

The Russians owned Northern California and Alaska at one point--should they be allowed to come and go now at will?

The argument that Spanish influence in the U.S. somehow allows for the descendents of those colonists to now re-colonize the U.S. is ridiculous at best, let alone that inane "Aztlan" argument.
Slight correction ; Wyoming ancestry : Hispanic- 12.5%
French- 3.5%

Colorado: Hispanic- 19.7%
French- 2.5%

Source: City data.com
 
Old 12-27-2008, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Missouri
3,640 posts, read 4,310,069 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Proof please re: your 75 million number of Latinos here in the USA.

Besides: there is no Hispanic race----------they can range from Nordic White to Black with everything else. Not all Latinos are Spanish speaking Indians.

Besides: quite a few Latinos are quite anti illegal immigration as well.
All of these mistakes from a person who says they know so much about the Hispanic ethnicity. LOLOLOLOL Proof he knows very little, if anything and yet, had the nerve to tell me that he didn't think I was Latino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top