U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 06:11 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,633,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
And how many Hispanic families in the U.S look like that ? That family looks like they came straight out of Bavaria. Not too many Hispanics living in the U.S are being confused for being German.
On what do you base that statement? How many Hispanics ARE living in the US? How do you get this information....and if you think THESE (above) Hispanics aren't Hispanics, what makes you think the OTHER Hispanics that you SAY aren't Hispanics, aren't being ASSUMED to be non-Hispanic?

I could take the OPPOSITE tack...and say "In MY opinion, entirely TOO MANY US Hispanics are being mistaken for Germans these days"...but I'd have a hard time proving it...because I know only a few of each group.

It's POSSIBLE, (not to annoy you, but listen up) that SOME Hispanics living in the United States are being confused for "regular Americans"....Boy, wouldn't THAT be a 'hoot'...!

..."I knew this East Indian guy once....Mohawk, I think he was...lived in upstate New York......"

Old 01-16-2009, 06:23 PM

1,435 posts, read 3,511,910 times
Quote:
On what do you base that statement?
I base it on the fact that I live in the state with the largest Hispanic population in the nation. So whenever I leave the house I am always surrounded by alot of Hispanics, and the majority of them fit the so-called "stereotypical" Hispanic look.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:53 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,673,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I base it on the fact that I live in the state with the largest Hispanic population in the nation. So whenever I leave the house I am always surrounded by alot of Hispanics, and the majority of them fit the so-called "stereotypical" Hispanic look.
I have met several Hispanics (including Mexicans) who were definitely White.

In fact: about 25 years ago I met a 'Latina' from Mexico who admitted the authorities did not give her s second look--------between her obviously 'Anglo' appearance, unaccented English and a German surname.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:06 PM

1,435 posts, read 3,511,910 times
Quote:
Me too, but most of them were only half Hispanic and in some cases even only a quarter Hispanic.

This young woman on my myspace friends list who I think looks White has a Russian father and a Mexican/English mother.
ImageShack - Image Hosting :: svetlanava3.jpg

Since she is only 25% Hispanic, I wonder if she would still be considered Hispanic under U.S law.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:09 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,834,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

In fact: about 25 years ago I met a 'Latina' from Mexico who admitted the authorities did not give her s second look--------between her obviously 'Anglo' appearance, unaccented English and a German surname.
If you met my ex (6’3”, sandy hair, light gray eyes) you would most definitely NOT think he is Hispanic. Then again, what is “Hispanic” anyway?

Old 01-16-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If you met my ex (6’3”, sandy hair, light gray eyes) you would most definitely NOT think he is Hispanic. Then again, what is “Hispanic” anyway?
That's what this committee is attempting to find out...just who ARE these people, anyway?....and are they on our side....or not? And if we don't know who they ARE...how do we know what they'll do?

Old 01-16-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
That's what this committee is attempting to find out...just who ARE these people, anyway?....and are they on our side....or not? And if we don't know who they ARE...how do we know what they'll do?
Talk about a conundrum.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Talk about a conundrum.
They aren't 100% reliable, anyway....and they CAN break..

Old 01-16-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
They aren't 100% reliable, anyway....and they CAN break..
So I’ve heard. BTW, who are the ‘committee’ members, and what are their credentials? How do we know they aren’t Hispanic in disguise?

Old 01-16-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
So I’ve heard. BTW, who are the ‘committee’ members, and what are their credentials? How do we know they aren’t Hispanic in disguise?
They are a collection of blacks, whites, Asians, Greeks, and Methodists...and ONE guy who MIGHT be Jewish, but looks Swiss. That's about all I know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration