U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2009, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Ah, thanks! Yes, I am indeed a macmeal "cheerleader" -- and proud of it. Only, that’s not my uniform. But it's cute.

 
Old 01-19-2009, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Surprise, Az
3,496 posts, read 8,341,703 times
Reputation: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Ah, thanks! Yes, I am indeed a macmeal "cheerleader" -- and proud of it. Only, that’s not my uniform. But it's cute.
At least you admit your role in most discussions that take place on this board...
 
Old 01-19-2009, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
At least you admit your role in most discussions that take place on this board...
Correction: One of my "roles." Taking a troll stroll this afternoon?
 
Old 01-19-2009, 01:26 PM
 
117 posts, read 132,043 times
Reputation: 53
I am hard core anti illegal. I am also married to a hispanic woman from panama. I am also anti hispanic in a lot of ways. YOU pro hispanic illegal typse try to make Mexico an eden with just a few bad places in it. Ever been somewhere besides the tourist hang outs? Well I have. I have been all over South America. The dirt is not just in one hispanic country. I saved my wife from a terrible life and it was a normal life for a poor attractive woman. Beatings every day, getting raped. So I saw what these great countries have to offer and i saw what hispanic culture produces. Funny come to think of it my wife never wants to go back either. In fact she doesnt even want any hispanic friends.
 
Old 01-19-2009, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You do realize he was raised by his “white” mother, and his “white” grandparents, don’t you? How do you define “culture?”

I attended a predominately white high school, and predominately white colleges. I dare say; my attendance at those institutions did not change my “blackness.” Yes, it afforded me a perspective I would not have had had I attended all-blacks schools, but it did not change who I am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Obama is not a "White Anglo-Saxon Protestant", no. Neither are the majority of Americans. I'm not, Benicar's not...probably only a small percentage of Americans fit that narrow definition.

But America's "value system" is WASP. The place was founded by a small, rather select group of English protestants, and their efforts, and the government they set up, today forms the basis of a common American culture. Such values as the ability to trust in strangers....the precedence of the legal system over ties to 'family and tribe'...the 'peaceful transfer of power that Obama himself just mentioned...the strong emphasis on 'self restraint'...the VERY strong intolerance for corruption in government... This 'artificial' culture (rather than a hereditary one) is what allows our diverse society to function peacfully...and the WASPS invented it.

Very FEW of us today live, think or 'act' like our foreign immigrant ancestors. We've 'lost our rough edges' and are now Americans. Those who don't 'get this' have problems, because it's absolutely vital.

Whether we 'like' it or not, America and it's 'system' was founded by WASPS...NOT by Germans, or Italians, or Irish, or Chinese.....NOT by Catholics, or Muslims, or Jews....NOT by Hispanics, Czechs, or Afghans or Arabs. If it HAD been founded by ANY of these groups, it most likely would NOT be the place that it is.

So 'far out' was the thinking of these founding 'Wasps' that they specifcally wrote into their rules that THEY must share power equally with others...freedom for ALL, not just WASPS, was the aim. That was a pretty unique concept in its time.

Today, Obama is "all of the above", culturally. He's doesn't 'look at life' as a European, nor as an African, (like his ancestors did), but as an American. He's an 'assimilated American'. If you want to say that makes him 'culturally a WASP' I'd agree. Not in regards to music, food, or artwork....but in values, he's a modern American "wasp".
BINGO!

Hence my comment about 'WASP' being a cultural label------it has nothing to do with race/ancestral ethnicity.
 
Old 01-19-2009, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Surprise, Az
3,496 posts, read 8,341,703 times
Reputation: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherhead View Post
I am hard core anti illegal. I am also married to a hispanic woman from panama. I am also anti hispanic in a lot of ways. YOU pro hispanic illegal typse try to make Mexico an eden with just a few bad places in it. Ever been somewhere besides the tourist hang outs? Well I have. I have been all over South America. The dirt is not just in one hispanic country. I saved my wife from a terrible life and it was a normal life for a poor attractive woman. Beatings every day, getting raped. So I saw what these great countries have to offer and i saw what hispanic culture produces. Funny come to think of it my wife never wants to go back either. In fact she doesnt even want any hispanic friends.
Want or isn't allowed..two different things. And from what I have read I'm thinking she isn't allowed.

Good luck with your being anti Hispanic...Hope that works out for you...

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 01-19-2009 at 08:04 PM..
 
Old 01-19-2009, 01:42 PM
 
117 posts, read 132,043 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Want or isn't allowed..two different things. And from what I have read I'm thinking she isn't allowed.

Good luck with your being anti Hispanic...Hope that works out for you...
Let me think about this a second. Hispanics abused her. They beat her and they raped her. Yeah I can see how she might miss that. I may be shy a few screws but I also am a decorated vet. Are you> I may be a littlte different but at least I knew enough to defend a woman getting beat and raped. To bad her countrymen thinks thats okay.
I might be crazy but atleast I aint you.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 01-19-2009 at 08:05 PM..
 
Old 01-19-2009, 01:48 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Ah, thanks! Yes, I am indeed a macmeal "cheerleader" -- and proud of it. Only, that’s not my uniform. But it's cute.
"Awwwwwww.....*blush*......shucks".....: rolleyes:

Trivia note: ("shucks" is a WASP term. In Spanish culture, the term is "hojas"....but it lacks the 'punch' of 'shucks')...
 
Old 01-19-2009, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,897,766 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Ah, thanks! Yes, I am indeed a macmeal "cheerleader" -- and proud of it. Only, that’s not my uniform. But it's cute.
Hey Mac-y! Hey Hey, Hey Mac-y!
(couldn't resist the opening for a lame poke)
 
Old 01-19-2009, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
"Awwwwwww.....*blush*......shucks".....: rolleyes:

Trivia note: ("shucks" is a WASP term. In Spanish culture, the term is "hojas"....but it lacks the 'punch' of 'shucks')...
I have a sneaking suspicion he/she would like to join the ‘squad’ but just doesn’t have the right “moves.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top