Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 03:33 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,278,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Do you mean "Are there still?"

Are you implying then, that Scandanavians are more intelligent than those who speak Spanish, and thus more easily assimilate to English than Spanish speakers? That Spanish speakers are less capable of learning to speak the language of their host country than Norwegians and Swedes? Or perhaps you're suggesting that the newly arrived "immigrants" from Spanish speaking countries have somehow become "dumbed down" from their counterparts in the past?

Just wondering....

You're going to see a lot of Spanish speakers, because there are many newly arrived Latino immigrants.

You are discounting all the Americans of Hispanic descent in this country who have already assimilated.

And it's Scandinavians. (I don't like to be the snotty person making corrections, but..)

Old 12-28-2008, 03:51 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,727,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
You're going to see a lot of Spanish speakers, because there are many newly arrived Latino immigrants.

You are discounting all the Americans of Hispanic descent in this country who have already assimilated.

And it's Scandinavians. (I don't like to be the snotty person making corrections, but..)
Don't worry. My feelings aren't hurt simply because someone corrects a typo. It's the grammatical errors that bother me....

I have no problem with Spanish speaking, newly arrived, LEGAL immigrants who are doing their utmost to learn English and adopt to their host country.

What I have a problem with is those who refuse to learn English and expect others to cater to their inability to assimilate. I would not put Americans of Hispanic descent in that category, but apparently YOU would.

I'm pretty sure that I've made my point more than clear and I grow weary of enforcing the same objective post after post.

Let me state one more time for the record:

Refusal to learn the English language in a country in which the majority are English speakers and the majority of all business and education is conducted in English, hinders the chances for success in the U.S. for those who refuse assimilation as well as hindering the chances of their posterity.

Period.

Now, go gnaw on someone else's skirt hem. I've had my fill today.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Don't worry. My feelings aren't hurt simply because someone corrects a typo. It's the grammatical errors that bother me....

I have no problem with Spanish speaking, newly arrived, LEGAL immigrants who are doing their utmost to learn English and adopt to their host country.

What I have a problem with is those who refuse to learn English and expect others to cater to their inability to assimilate. I would not put Americans of Hispanic descent in that category, but apparently YOU would.

I'm pretty sure that I've made my point more than clear and I grow weary of enforcing the same objective post after post.

I
Let me state one more time for the record:

Refusal to learn the English language in a country in which the majority are English speakers and the majority of all business and education is conducted in English hinders the chances for success in the U.S. for those who refuse assimilation as well as their posterity.

Period.

Now, go gnaw on someone else's skirt hem. I've had my fill today.
Is it a typo if it happens more than once?
I still stand by my claim that Hispanics are assimilating as well as everyone else. If the first generation immigrants lasts longer without speaking English, who cares? As long as the next generation is completely assimilated, which I find to be the case.

The first immigrant not learning English isn't unique to Hispanics. I see it being VERY common among Koreans and Chinese in their specific neighborhoods. But their next generation, just like that of Hispanics, are usually fully assimilated.

It's just a lot more noticeable among the Latino ones, because they are much more numerous, and don't stay in their enclaves which are made to be like their countries of origin, like the Koreans and Chinese do.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:23 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,152,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Did I ever ask for them to go away?? NOPE! Just said I have no need to learn spanish!
No you don't nor should anyone belittle you for making that observation.
Do you have plans to travel to a spanish speaking country? Do you have plans to travel to a spanish only speaking neighborhood? To the best of my knowledge none exist in NE PA.
So to make a long post short you are correct. You have no need to learn spanish and nor do I.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
By culture I refer to what ones neighborhood tolerates. For example.
In Noxen PA the culture would appear to be accepting of incest and beastiality. Thats a culture I avoid.
No I don't believe that cowardice is an ethnic culture.
Name calling may happen but not by me....
Is there really places like that??

Old 12-28-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Somehow I suspect the illegal alien Hispanic fans will not reply to your posts----------because it causes mortal emotional agony to them having a 'Mexican' American throw the race card back at 'em.

It would be analogous to me demanding that illegal alien Hungarians be deported on sight since I am in part of recent Hungarian lineage
Uh, mortal emotional agony? Being a little dramatic, don't you think? We don't all think a like, just like all Blacks or all Asians don't think alike either.

Not to say I'm calling Anon. Pol. anything, but I have no problem calling out a fellow Mexican-American if I believe that person is being racist or something to that effect.

Just like I hope the half-Latino who joined in the murder of a Latino immigrant who was killed while the assailants shouted out Latino slurs, gets charged with a hate crime as well as the others.

AzBear, you don't have a clue.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:56 PM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,739,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
english is the official language of the us. Government transactions should be only in english.
If a private business wants to offer customer service in other languages, that's their right. If a human being (tourist or citizen) wishes to speak in another language, that's their right as well. Speaking more than one language has traditionally been a measure of a person's educational level.
wrong pal...english is not the official language of the united states...

go on google it...

Old 12-28-2008, 09:05 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,152,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Is there really places like that??
ROFL YES...... But not so much anymore. It became public knowledge and the authorities involved themselves and put a stop to most of it.
Every yard is a junk yard and every trailor has a sat dish. White trash comes to mind.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:06 PM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,739,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous political junky View Post
yes, i most certainly have, as my wife and lots of friends have. Try livuing in the southwest. To get a job in many cities one must be able to speak spanish. If it didn't happen to you in miami then you didn't go many places.

well, that should tell you who the ignorants are?

the ones who do not want to learn another language-
be spanish..farsi-- or whatever

no bilingual..no jobs for you!!....good more for us!!

Old 12-28-2008, 09:06 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,265,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No you don't nor should anyone belittle you for making that observation.
Do you have plans to travel to a spanish speaking country? Do you have plans to travel to a spanish only speaking neighborhood? To the best of my knowledge none exist in NE PA.
So to make a long post short you are correct. You have no need to learn spanish and nor do I.
Some people (OK, me!) like to learn languages as a hobby. Some of us enjoy learning a language so that we can read, watch movies and chat with people overseas in a different language. If YOU don't want to learn another language, that's fine, but many of us WANT to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration