Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 12:34 AM

142 posts, read 272,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Did you just fall out of an airplane? There are probably 10,000 links to sources showing the drain of Social Services by Illegal Aliens. Take the time to review the forum and you'll see plenty of data if you care.

Here... this took all of 30 seconds

National News - Many illegal immigrants live in public housing (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20090101/Public.Housing.Immigrants/ - broken link)

Guess who is paying for your buddies to live here? Me, 1AngryTaxPayer

Do you need me to explain the Angry part?
Thank you the link just proves my point. The link states the fact that there is a minuscule number of them that are illegals, read it for urself, 0.4% of all that receive the service there are (get this) believed to be illigals the rest are there with student visas,work permits (which is wrong but they are not illegals)or are legal resident or citezens read something before you start quoting it

Old 01-02-2009, 02:05 PM

78 posts, read 203,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereignty View Post
New here.

It seems to me that the pro illegal sypathizers are always playing the victim and the Race Card as much as posible. The term illegal alien is not a Race and was coined by the Federal government to describe a foreign national alien in the United States illegally. These people were not invited and did not come legally and are breaking the laws. We should NOT reward lawbreakers. It's NOT America's responsibility to take care of these people.
I agree for the most part, but if you read all of the thread you will come across a few who are anti-hispanic, anti-spanish speakers who are legalized or born of natural U.S. citizens, and those with xenophobia. (See page two of this forum and a couple of other throughout.)

Que Dios te bendiga!

Old 01-02-2009, 03:32 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,285,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoPlanner View Post
I agree for the most part, but if you read all of the thread you will come across a few who are anti-hispanic, anti-spanish speakers who are legalized or born of natural U.S. citizens, and those with xenophobia. (See page two of this forum and a couple of other throughout.)

Que Dios te bendiga!
And I think some are a little more subtle than that guy.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I agree - I know of one town in NJ where virtually every store sign is printed in Korean with no English translation. I belonged to a church that shared space with a Korean congregation. The pastor and many members had been in this country in some cases 10+ years, but, none of them were fluent English speakers and some spoke virtually no English at all.
Same thing occurs with native Chinese speakers as well. And, some are highly educated, professional people. I am sure that there are people living in Manhattan's Chinatown who have never interacted with anyone who isn't Chinese. Similarly, you can travel to the Brighton Beach section of Brooklyn and encounter people who speak only Russian or Ukrainian and who communicate only in those languages.

The fact is, that in some parts of the country, the populations are large enough that people can have businesses and interact only with others of their ethnic groups. Their children may assimilate, but then again they may not.

One comment on the original post - what I think the OP was trying to say when providing the history lesson is that there is a huge aspect of our country's heritage that is often forgotten, and gets nowhere near the attention it should. Schoolchildren are taught an incredibly 'anglicized' version of American history and the fact that the Spaniards were in this country before the Dutch and the English is something that should be more widely regarded. I think the only point the OP was trying to get across is that many people of Spanish or Mexican heritage are not new arrivals, and we do them and us a disservice by lumping everyone together.

In the last few years, it has become apparent, to me anyway, that for many people, anti-illegal does equal anti-hispanic. Where is the outcry over the illegals from China, Russia and so forth? We don't see them because they disappear into their ghettos, protected by their communities.
The irony in all of this is that we notice the people from Mexico or Guatemala because they are assimilating.
Great post! Can't believe I missed it.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:26 PM

380 posts, read 1,058,452 times
I am sorry if any posts I made were seemingly anti Hispanic, they were not meant to be. I am, however, anti illegal-whether these be Hispanic, Asian or as in the Northeast-Europeans from the old Eastern Bloc countries. Illegal means just that, they do not pay property taxes, they are not known in the community, and they do take jobs from legal citizens-case in point is Northern Virginia. In the 1980's we had a building boom in construction, the folks working in this were largely White or Black. The boom ends, and now on most construction sites-especially in Virginia, you see almost all Hispanic, many working for companies that are hiring subcontractor fly-by-nights to do the work on the cheap. Many, though certainly not all, are illegals, for when they get hurt, our local hospitals and doctors get stuck holding the bill when these folks end up as non paying, with no fixed address.
Last thing, many illegals send their extra cash out of the country, one only has to see our economic state right now to know that this cannot keep going on. Money earned in a country, should stay in a country to help run the economic engine. Illegals should be deported, but most importantly, those employers who hire illegals should be punished and fined, yes even imprisoned. This is how President Eisenhower and currently the state of Oklahoma deals with the issue. It works, sadly our current President Bush has encourage such illegal activity among businesses, and it is extremely doubtful the dovish Obama will have the guts to deal with this the way it needs to be dealt with.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:31 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
Said it before and I'll say it again.
Hispanics are in the limelight by their own choosing.... Add to that the fact that hispanics constitute the vast majority of offenders. The fact that Mexico is our neighbor is not relevent to the fact that Hispanics account for over 58% of all illegals. That means hispanics rate over 58% of the wrath.
The other groups are less vocal and try to go unnoticed. This does not make them better or more welcome. It makes them a harder target.
Add to the mix that we as a nation cater to hispanic speakers and not to others is another factor.
Ever hear a recording press 1 for english 2 for spanish 3 for mandarin 4 for Thai 5 for Russian etc? I thought not.
If hispanics want to stand tall in america's eyes start publicly condemning illegals and stop facilitating, supporting and hiding them. But most of all stop making excuses for them.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:45 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times
Quote:
One comment on the original post - what I think the OP was trying to say when providing the history lesson is that there is a huge aspect of our country's heritage that is often forgotten, and gets nowhere near the attention it should. Schoolchildren are taught an incredibly 'anglicized' version of American history and the fact that the Spaniards were in this country before the Dutch and the English is something that should be more widely regarded. I think the only point the OP was trying to get across is that many people of Spanish or Mexican heritage are not new arrivals, and we do them and us a disservice by lumping everyone together.

In the last few years, it has become apparent, to me anyway, that for many people, anti-illegal does equal anti-hispanic. Where is the outcry over the illegals from China, Russia and so forth? We don't see them because they disappear into their ghettos, protected by their communities.
The irony in all of this is that we notice the people from Mexico or Guatemala because they are assimilating.
While I agree with your post in many ways, allow me to differ with you slightly on the following....I'm not sure how 'anglicized' the American history is in your area..but here (California) every school child is taught California history, and all 6th graders (that I 've ever heard of) build a model "Spanish mission"..(yes, you can even buy model 'kits' for each of the California missions...the schools allow this, though MY kids made their own). I don't think there's any argument that the US Southwest once belonged to Spain...and briefly to Mexico....nor that the Spaniards 'stepped ashore' in North America long before the American colonists.

As far as your wondering why the 'outcry' against illegals seems to focus on Hispanics, and not on other illegals? Lots of reasons, I suppose (I've known illegal Mexicans for decades, and it was once regarded around here as a 'victimless crime'...but is now causing some alarm). Perhaps the reason for picking on "the Mexicans" (or those who MAY be Mexicans, in the eyes of the 'general public') is the fact that Mexico and nearby Central America furnishes by FAR the great bulk of the illegals who come here....and because their cause is championed by such aggressive groups as MALDEF and MEChA, who see Mexicans as having an inherent "right" to enter the US. Other illegals, from other areas, simply don't use those tactics, nor indulge in loud, very public protests, for the most part.

The 'Flag-Waving' protests of a few years ago did more damage to the public's perception of 'Mexican illegals' than all the Minutemen in the WORLD could have done. Believe me, I SAW people who had no strong opinion, suddenly GET one...and it wasn't a 'good one', either.

Illegal Mexican immigration has always been a fact of life in California and nearby states. It only became a problem LATELY....when it increased massively in 'raw numbers', and when the 'attitude' of the new arrivals began to change to a far more militant, demanding one. THAT, in my opinion, is behind much of the negative attention you mention.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:49 PM

197 posts, read 265,897 times
Quote:
I agree - I know of one town in NJ where virtually every store sign is printed in Korean with no English translation. I belonged to a church that shared space with a Korean congregation. The pastor and many members had been in this country in some cases 10+ years, but, none of them were fluent English speakers and some spoke virtually no English at all.
Same thing occurs with native Chinese speakers as well. And, some are highly educated, professional people. I am sure that there are people living in Manhattan's Chinatown who have never interacted with anyone who isn't Chinese. Similarly, you can travel to the Brighton Beach section of Brooklyn and encounter people who speak only Russian or Ukrainian and who communicate only in those languages.

The fact is, that in some parts of the country, the populations are large enough that people can have businesses and interact only with others of their ethnic groups. Their children may assimilate, but then again they may not.

Very intelligent post, you really hit the nail on the head. Many people in this forum have a hidden agenda, for which they twist and spin anything
they don't like into a reflection of their delussions.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Said it before and I'll say it again.
Hispanics are in the limelight by their own choosing.... Add to that the fact that hispanics constitute the vast majority of offenders. The fact that Mexico is our neighbor is not relevent to the fact that Hispanics account for over 58% of all illegals. That means hispanics rate over 58% of the wrath.
The other groups are less vocal and try to go unnoticed. This does not make them better or more welcome. It makes them a harder target.
Add to the mix that we as a nation cater to hispanic speakers and not to others is another factor.
Ever hear a recording press 1 for english 2 for spanish 3 for mandarin 4 for Thai 5 for Russian etc? I thought not.
If hispanics want to stand tall in america's eyes start publicly condemning illegals and stop facilitating, supporting and hiding them. But most of all stop making excuses for them.
I don't have to do sh-- to "stand tall in 'america's' eyes".
I am American, this is MY country.

I don't care how many illegals are Mexican, plenty enough Hispanics have died for this country to have to prove anything to you guys. To have to prove themselves as Americans.
Maybe "Americans" should learn to differentiate.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:31 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotater58 View Post
I am sorry if any posts I made were seemingly anti Hispanic, they were not meant to be. I am, however, anti illegal-whether these be Hispanic, Asian or as in the Northeast-Europeans from the old Eastern Bloc countries. Illegal means just that, they do not pay property taxes, they are not known in the community, and they do take jobs from legal citizens-case in point is Northern Virginia. In the 1980's we had a building boom in construction, the folks working in this were largely White or Black. The boom ends, and now on most construction sites-especially in Virginia, you see almost all Hispanic, many working for companies that are hiring subcontractor fly-by-nights to do the work on the cheap. Many, though certainly not all, are illegals, for when they get hurt, our local hospitals and doctors get stuck holding the bill when these folks end up as non paying, with no fixed address.
Last thing, many illegals send their extra cash out of the country, one only has to see our economic state right now to know that this cannot keep going on. Money earned in a country, should stay in a country to help run the economic engine. Illegals should be deported, but most importantly, those employers who hire illegals should be punished and fined, yes even imprisoned. This is how President Eisenhower and currently the state of Oklahoma deals with the issue. It works, sadly our current President Bush has encourage such illegal activity among businesses, and it is extremely doubtful the dovish Obama will have the guts to deal with this the way it needs to be dealt with.
I also live in Northern Virginia and see everything you mentioned. One thing that can also be mentioned in the DC area is what illegal immigration did to places like Hyattsville, Riverdale, Mt. Rainier, Bladensburg, and other inner-beltway areas bordering NE DC. These areas were mostly black working class areas which did have issues with crime but weren't the worst places to live. Illegals started moving into these areas, now they are now pretty much no-go places for the most part. I can't even begin to tell ya'll about Langley Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.