Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:53 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Libman View Post
A fair wage & benefits are determined by the natural laws of supply and demand, not dictated by Generalissimo el Kele. Slavery is when you're forced to do something against your will (like pay taxes or social security), while employment is a voluntary agreement between individuals. Why do you think migrant workers come here?

Even $2 an hour is better than $1 an hour or nothing at all. It gives people an opportunity to work their way up, and you're trying to take that away so that some lazy spoiled American could make more money that s\he doesn't competitively earn.

Please try to understand that wealth doesn't just fall from the sky because you want it to, it is CREATED through productivity. By using government force to give some workers more, you are taking away from others, and decreasing the productivity of the economy as a whole. Lower economic growth harms everyone, and it keeps poor people poor.
That may be life according to Alex, but we still have laws in this country. Immigration laws, to be germane. If we are now a country where laws we follow are arbitrary, then I'm going to go hold up a bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 11:56 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I am a Wash DC native (left there 30 years ago) and 'Hispanics' were thin on the ground there back then. Remember that most of them were simply counted as 'White' with the exception of the obviously Black or Indian ones. With the exception of some of the Puerto Ricans (all US citizens); Latinos as a group made damn sure to watch their manners so no one bothered them.
Don't we all have to 'watch our manners' so that noone 'bothers' us? I'm sure that's what you mean....

Old 12-29-2008, 01:38 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
I have been reading posts on here for awhile and noticed there are alot of people against illegals that are not living in a southern state directly affected by the influx of illegals. I also understand that once they leave the south they tend to go up north, so for those of you who live outside of the south how has it affected you. For example my inlaws live in TN and constantly talk about the huge population of illegals there and how they feel it has really affected life there.
I live in rural TN (never thought of it as the North). The influx of Non-English speaking illegals have burdened the school system. Property taxes increase to pay for additional schools/teachers. Illegals rent multiple families to a home so no increase in the tax base.
Property values decrease where there is rental property. Increase in grafiti and trash.
There is also increase in unwanted animals roaming the streets and not just dogs.
Local hospitals are burdened with use of ER/OBGYN where bills are never paid. Health department is overrun with illegals.
Churches have even closed their food and clothing banks.
Increase in demand for social services (food stamps, WIC, Section 8 housing, headstart, TNcare)
Crime has greatly increased and jails overcrowded. Need for translators for police officers and court personel.
Loss of employment for citizens. There was a lawsuit recently where non-hispanics filed discrimination on hiring practices at local Perdue plant.
Stand in line 3 hours at the post office on Fridays (sending pay to Mexico).

I think non boarder states are experiencing the same problems, just on a lesser level.

Positive aspects: Walmart is making a killing.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:59 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I live in rural TN (never thought of it as the North). The influx of Non-English speaking illegals have burdened the school system. Property taxes increase to pay for additional schools/teachers. Illegals rent multiple families to a home so no increase in the tax base.
Property values decrease where there is rental property. Increase in grafiti and trash.
There is also increase in unwanted animals roaming the streets and not just dogs.
Local hospitals are burdened with use of ER/OBGYN where bills are never paid. Health department is overrun with illegals.
Increase in demand for social services (food stamps, WIC, Section 8 housing, headstart, TNcare)
Crime has greatly increased and jails overcrowded. Need for translators for police officers and court personel.
Loss of employment for citizens. There was a lawsuit recently where non-hispanics filed discrimination on hiring practices at local Perdue plant.

I think non boarder states are experiencing the same problems, just on a lesser level.

Sounds like the Govenor of TN is pro illegal.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:10 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

My inlaws live in East TN and this is exactly what I hear from them. In some ways I think it is harder on the non-border states to deal with them than the border states. For me growing up in S Texas on the Texas/Mexico border, illegals were always a fact of life. I lived a mile from the river and illegals passing through our property was an everyday occurence. I do think however there has been a huge change in the illegals over the years, used to it was men coming over to earn money for a season, then they went back home. They didn't seem to realize that they could rape and rob the system. It is definately a different breed of illegals now. They no longer want to go back and will go to whatever means necessary to prevent that. My parents still live on the same property and I worry about their safety. Now not only is it those who want to be in our country but it is those who are bringing the drugs across. Thanks for taking the time to anwer my question.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:24 PM

608 posts, read 1,004,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You get this straight:

The lack of reasonable government regulations is anarchy.

I am a firm believer of progressive taxation as well----------otherwise; a small minority of the people will have most of the assets. Mexico comes to mind.
We have the regulations just lack the man power to enforce them. Bush chose to spend billions on wars securing other lands instead of our land.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
My inlaws live in East TN and this is exactly what I hear from them. In some ways I think it is harder on the non-border states to deal with them than the border states. For me growing up in S Texas on the Texas/Mexico border, illegals were always a fact of life. I lived a mile from the river and illegals passing through our property was an everyday occurence. I do think however there has been a huge change in the illegals over the years, used to it was men coming over to earn money for a season, then they went back home. They didn't seem to realize that they could rape and rob the system. It is definately a different breed of illegals now. They no longer want to go back and will go to whatever means necessary to prevent that. My parents still live on the same property and I worry about their safety. Now not only is it those who want to be in our country but it is those who are bringing the drugs across. Thanks for taking the time to anwer my question.
Illegal workers and llegals running drugs are very different. Drug trade is more lucrative and the stakes are much higher. I know you hate this but it is all supply and demand. We demand chaper products/houses we are supplied with cheap labor. We demand drugs are are supplied with drugs. It is simple... all we have to do is change our ways and no longer demand cheaper products/housing and no longer demand drugs.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:18 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
Illegal workers and llegals running drugs are very different. Drug trade is more lucrative and the stakes are much higher. I know you hate this but it is all supply and demand. We demand chaper products/houses we are supplied with cheap labor. We demand drugs are are supplied with drugs. It is simple... all we have to do is change our ways and no longer demand cheaper products/housing and no longer demand drugs.
Oh man, have I been attacked for ever suggesting we have a drug problem in the US, and our demand and insatiable hunger for drugs is what's fueling the drug gangs in Mexico.
Not to mention the U.S. guns being smuggled into Mexico that are being used to shoot the place up. It's a two way street.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:08 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Oh man, have I been attacked for ever suggesting we have a drug problem in the US, and our demand and insatiable hunger for drugs is what's fueling the drug gangs in Mexico.
Not to mention the U.S. guns being smuggled into Mexico that are being used to shoot the place up. It's a two way street.
Then sealing the border is a win win deal for everyone. Drugs and illegals stay in mexico. Guns stay in the USA and our drug addicts get to go cold turkey. Note I have very little sympathy for drug addicts. They made their bed may they rot in it.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Then sealing the border is a win win deal for everyone. Drugs and illegals stay in mexico. Guns stay in the USA and our drug addicts get to go cold turkey. Note I have very little sympathy for drug addicts. They made their bed may they rot in it.
I have no sympathy either... Drug addicts may have made their bed but we are all rotting in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration