Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 08:35 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times

Advertisements

Getting Immigration Right

Published: December 25, 2008
It’s way too early to tell whether the United States under President-elect Barack Obama will restore realism, sanity and lawfulness to its immigration system. But it’s never too early to hope, and the stars seem to be lining up, at least among his cabinet nominees.

Skip to next paragraph
If Mr. Obama’s team is confirmed, the country will have a homeland security secretary, Janet Napolitano of Arizona, and a commerce secretary, Bill Richardson of New Mexico, who understand the border region and share a well-informed disdain for foolish, inadequate enforcement schemes like the Bush administration’s border fence. And it will have a labor secretary, Hilda Solis of California, who, as a state senator and congresswoman, has built a reputation as a staunch defender of immigrants and workers.

The confluence of immigrants and labor is exactly what this country — particularly, and disastrously, the Bush administration — has not been able to figure out.

In simplest terms, what Ms. Solis and Mr. Obama seem to know in their gut is this: If you uphold workers’ rights, even for those here illegally, you uphold them for all working Americans. If you ignore and undercut the rights of illegal immigrants, you encourage the exploitation that erodes working conditions and job security everywhere. In a time of economic darkness, the stability and dignity of the work force are especially vital.

This is why it is so important to reverse the Bush administration’s immigration tactics, which for years have attacked the problem upside down and backward. To appease Republican nativists, it lavished scarce resources solely on hunting down and punishing illegal immigrants. Its campaign of raids, detentions and border fencing was a moral failure. Among other things, it terrorized and broke apart families and led to some gruesome deaths in shoddy prisons. It mocked the American tradition of welcoming and assimilating immigrant workers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/26/op..._r=1&th&emc=th

Last edited by mkfarnam; 12-26-2008 at 08:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 08:38 PM

136 posts, read 292,316 times
I'm not too worried. With the economy the way it is I doubt that we'll be seeing any amnesty garbage anytime soon.

Millions of unemployed Americans are going to have a fit if Obama even speaks about granting amnesty.

In addition, many illegals are heading back to their homelands.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:44 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonaldson View Post
I'm not too worried. With the economy the way it is I doubt that we'll be seeing any amnesty garbage anytime soon.

Millions of unemployed Americans are going to have a fit if Obama even speaks about granting amnesty.

In addition, many illegals are heading back to their homelands.
I agree as well.

More and more: anything emanating from so-called 'Lib' enclaves (New England, NYC, SF, etc) I take with a grain of salt------------and, by Arizona standards, I am a Liberal.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:24 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,234 times
This is the opinion of the New York Times. There is no fact to this. Don't let liberal publications rile you up. This is one writer who writes for the Obama Advocacy Daily newspaper.

Personally, I would like to see Obama fail as a president only because of the immigration issue. If he is successful, people will be willing to accept his amnesty (aka fixing the election with 12million new Democrats) whereas if he is a failure, people will not accept a call for amnesty.

In a few words.....congress needs to swing back to the Republicans (or at least a stronger presence) in 2010 to balance the powers out. If that happens, we are in good shape.

And I have to say I agree with the comment about illegals returning on their own. Despite having a liberal president, people are becoming less tolerant of the illegals (believe me, I have seen the intolerance grow in these economic times) and less willing to give them free handouts while other AMERICANS are struggling. If the economic difficulties last until 2010, we are in good shape (on this issue at least).

Old 12-26-2008, 09:31 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
The one thing that is good out of the Democrats (read unions) is that they despise illegal labor to the point any amnesty is just a myth from here on out.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:34 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The one thing that is good out of the Democrats (read unions) is that they despise illegal labor to the point any amnesty is just a myth from here on out.
How many "union" workers are on congress? Congress Democrats (the yuppies) are almost exclusively pro-illegal immigrant.

And we dont have national propositions to decide this stuff (although I wish we did). Its completely up to a group of people who do not represent the people.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
This is the opinion of the New York Times. There is no fact to this. Don't let liberal publications rile you up. This is one writer who writes for the Obama Advocacy Daily newspaper.

Personally, I would like to see Obama fail as a president only because of the immigration issue. If he is successful, people will be willing to accept his amnesty (aka fixing the election with 12million new Democrats) whereas if he is a failure, people will not accept a call for amnesty.

In a few words.....congress needs to swing back to the Republicans (or at least a stronger presence) in 2010 to balance the powers out. If that happens, we are in good shape.

And I have to say I agree with the comment about illegals returning on their own. Despite having a liberal president, people are becoming less tolerant of the illegals (believe me, I have seen the intolerance grow in these economic times) and less willing to give them free handouts while other AMERICANS are struggling. If the economic difficulties last until 2010, we are in good shape (on this issue at least).
I have a sneaking suspicion that Obama will not be the 'savior' that the pro illegal alien advocacy groups are hoping for.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
How many "union" workers are on congress? Congress Democrats (the yuppies) are almost exclusively pro-illegal immigrant.

And we dont have national propositions to decide this stuff (although I wish we did). Its completely up to a group of people who do not represent the people.
Looking at the crashing economy: they Yuppies* as a group are in some serious trouble financially---------they may be finding out real quick once they actually have to start working real jobs.

*Yuppie: I am not referring to physicians, CPA's, attorneys, engineers, etc but more the ones in the 'fluff' fields like financial planning, real estate, and so on----------about 75% of all Yuppie jobs could disappear and I doubt the USA as a whole would miss them.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:12 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
unions are backing illegal immigrants because it means more money for them. it is all about power and enlarging their ranks, which have been decimated. here is just one article out of many:
Unions Sue to Save Illegal Aliens (Daveed Gartenstein-Ross)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration