Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:55 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times

Advertisements

Fire officials said six victims were found huddled together in the front of the basement, one of them cradling the baby. The seventh was found near the basement door.
The boy was later pronounced dead at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
The medical examiner said three of the children died of smoke inhalation and one adult died of smoke inhalation and burns. Four victims were identified as Henry W. Gbokoloi, 54, of Yeadon; 8-year-old Ramere Markese Wright-Dosso; 6-year-old Mariam Iyanya Dosso, and 1-year-old Zyhire Xzavier Wright-Teah. All lived in the home.

General News - Liberians mourn 7 killed in Philadelphia fire

What an awful tragedy. There was a recent situation in Chicago very similar to this one. The hispanic "mother" in Chicago left her children alone in the basement so that she could go watch her boyfriend shoot pool. The kids called her to tell her they were cold. Instead of going home to check on her children she told them to turn on the space heater, which in turn started the fire.

The owners of these buildings should be fined and charged as accessories to murder.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:06 PM

94 posts, read 126,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
The owners of these buildings should be fined and charged as accessories to murder.
Why is it the small business owner's job to check for immigration status?

Perhaps you should be blaming the people that give illegal immigrants free health care, access to welfare handouts, etc etc?

Charging the building owner? It's rare I read something so stupid. Maybe charge the car manufacturer when a drunk driver hits another car?

Old 12-28-2008, 12:11 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times
I believe what JDubsMom is referring to, and she can correct me if I'm wrong, is the unsafe building conditions which, while not the initial antecedent in either case, contributed to the deaths of these people in that safety measures were either removed (interior stairs) or never installed in the first place (smoke detectors).

I don't believe that the notion of having the landlord check immigration status was even mentioned.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:12 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,924,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeist View Post
Why is it the small business owner's job to check for immigration status?

Perhaps you should be blaming the people that give illegal immigrants free health care, access to welfare handouts, etc etc?

Charging the building owner? It's rare I read something so stupid. Maybe charge the car manufacturer when a drunk driver hits another car?
It is up to ANY business owner to know if someone has the right to be in the country and legally be employed by him/her. I own my own business and use the government's free tool for checking anyone's legal status. It isn't hard and it takes no time at all.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I believe what JDubsMom is referring to, and she can correct me if I'm wrong, is the unsafe building conditions which, while not the initial antecedent in either case, contributed to the deaths of these people in that safety measures were either removed (interior stairs) or never installed in the first place (smoke detectors).

I don't believe that the notion of having the landlord check immigration status was even mentioned.
Bingo. Unfortunately, there are some who have a brain that doesn't function. Thus, the normal, rational thought process is impossible and connecting the dots is the equivalent of rocket science. Thanks Kele!

Old 12-28-2008, 03:40 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Ah, why is immigration status important to this particular story? And, why is this story an issue for the immigration folder?

Old 12-28-2008, 03:48 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,924,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ah, why is immigration status important to this particular story? And, why is this story an issue for the immigration folder?
Are you a moderator? No? Then don't worry about it.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Because reading is fundamental and they are LIBERIAN IMMIGRANTS . . DUH... . ..

Don't start that tired juvenile, tag team harassment again. If you have a problem with what I post follow the TOS and, DM the mods.

Quote:
PHILADELPHIA — Dozens of Liberian immigrants mourned Saturday at a house where seven members of their community died in a fire that a survivor said started when a kerosene heater spilled fuel and exploded as it was being moved outdoors.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 12-28-2008 at 04:01 PM..

Old 12-28-2008, 04:01 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,285,548 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with the issue of immigration.
There just happens to be immigrants involved in a negative story. It's Jdubs' M.O.

At least an immigrant is involved in this one.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:13 PM

94 posts, read 126,558 times
I was under the impression that Liberia was set-up by freed slaves (and look at how successful it is) so why are they immigrating back to the land of the oppressor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration