U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 02:52 PM

32,933 posts, read 30,173,166 times

Advertisements

What?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 04:16 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,902,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
"*******" is basically an ethnic slur, no matter what sophistry anyone wants to come up with. People who want to say "illegal" without using an ethnic slur have a perfectly good word--illegal!
Exactly.

Why fight tooth and nail for the ability to use an ethnic slur? It doesn't make sense.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:39 PM

3,496 posts, read 8,359,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Here all can see that Hispanics/latinos are sick and tired of what illegals are doing to their country and their towns and cities.

Bakersfield Vet Posts '******* Go Back' Sign In His Yard [Video] : Diggers Realm

An East Bakersfield, CA veteran is so fed up with illegal aliens destroying his community and his property that he has posted a sign in his front yard that says "******* Go Back". As you'll see in the news report below they put up a banner under the sign that says "racist sign", yet the fact is that the veteran is Hispanic. Slanted news coverage? They put the banner up written as a statement, not a question (i.e. "racist sign?")

As you'll see in the interview with David Garcia below there is nothing racist about the sign. He realizes that illegal aliens in his community are destroying its fabric and his property and he wants the law enforced. Sure ******* can be considered an insult to some, particularly illegal aliens, but it is not a statement against all Latinos, just the illegal ones.
Sounds like something my father would do. Yes, he is "Hispanic" and yes he is a Vietnam War Veteran.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:37 AM

11,408 posts, read 16,049,959 times
Isn't it nice to know that being a veteran means you're such a model, upstanding citizen and cut above the rest, such as this man? I mean gosh, I just feel SO CONFIDENT that such mature and intelligent people are serving in our military!

Old 12-30-2008, 12:55 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,678,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Isn't it nice to know that being a veteran means you're such a model, upstanding citizen and cut above the rest, such as this man? I mean gosh, I just feel SO CONFIDENT that such mature and intelligent people are serving in our military!
Pint taken: and I can understand Garcia's frustration @ the illegal alien problem--------he being 'Hispanic' illegals from especially Mexico would be a slap in his face for obvious reasons.

I am in part of Hungarian lineage and if we were inudated with scads of illegal aliens from that nation--------I would be enraged at best. Suffice to say: I would do what I could (within the law) to make their lives a living hell.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:03 PM

11,408 posts, read 16,049,959 times
And as a legal Hispanic, I'm sure he knows the pain of that ethnic slur being used against him. I'd have no problem if it say "Illegals go back"... or even "Illegal Mexicans go back". To use that word is COMPLETELY unacceptable. I liken it to the n-word or the k-word that people with his low maturity level liked to call me most of my life.

As mothers all over the world would say- use your words. If you have to resort to profanity and DEEPLY offensive slurs, then what you have to say can't be all that important.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
And as a legal Hispanic, I'm sure he knows the pain of that ethnic slur being used against him. I'd have no problem if it say "Illegals go back"... or even "Illegal Mexicans go back". To use that word is COMPLETELY unacceptable. I liken it to the n-word or the k-word that people with his low maturity level liked to call me most of my life.

As mothers all over the world would say- use your words. If you have to resort to profanity and DEEPLY offensive slurs, then what you have to say can't be all that important.
Yes. Being Hispanic, he should understand, and know to use his words right. "Illegals go back" is a lot more appropriate.
No need to use *******, and have his fellow anti-illegals who aren't Hispanic think it's okay to throw that term around.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:38 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,635,197 times
OK, sounds like we've all agreed that the "Bakesfield Vet" is an unthinking clod.....PROBABLY has problems in OTHER areas of his life,too....and maybe is an embarrasment to his family...THERE !! Settled ! The "vet" stuck his foot in his mouth. He used "barracks language" in front of civilians, and it backfired. The "vet" blew it.

NOW....are there any OTHER angles to discuss in regard to illegal immigration? Is there any part of the discussion that DOESN'T involve racists, or 'hatemongers'?....any part of it that just involves breaking the law, and trespassing? Is it possible to comment on this WITHOUT being labeled a racist?

Any opinions on this?...I'm just ASKING, understand. The "Vet?"...forget about him...he's 'history'...let's just ignore him..PROBABLY doesn't get along with the mailman, either...you know how those crochety old "Vets" can get !!....

Old 12-30-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
OK, sounds like we've all agreed that the "Bakesfield Vet" is an unthinking clod.....PROBABLY has problems in OTHER areas of his life,too....and maybe is an embarrasment to his family...THERE !! Settled ! The "vet" stuck his foot in his mouth. He used "barracks language" in front of civilians, and it backfired. The "vet" blew it.

NOW....are there any OTHER angles to discuss in regard to illegal immigration? Is there any part of the discussion that DOESN'T involve racists, or 'hatemongers'?....any part of it that just involves breaking the law, and trespassing? Is it possible to comment on this WITHOUT being labeled a racist?

Any opinions on this?...I'm just ASKING, understand. The "Vet?"...forget about him...he's 'history'...let's just ignore him..PROBABLY doesn't get along with the mailman, either...you know how those crochety old "Vets" can get !!....
So...I'm guessing you want this thread with the subject of the vet to be taken down or locked up?

If you want non-slur-using-vet immigrant related threads, there's a few to choose from.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:51 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,635,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
So...I'm guessing you want this thread with the subject of the vet to be taken down or locked up?

If you want non-slur-using-vet immigrant related threads, there's a few to choose from.
You're quite right....it was only a thought. You guys continue discussing the vet's boorish behavior....and I'll explore other facets of the illegal immigration situation. "Take the thread down"..or "lock it up"? Certainly not...I don't even believe in giving "negative rep" (just seems 'sneaky' to me)...

Thanks for reminding me of this obvious truth....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or