Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 07:12 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I'm as anti-illegal immigration as you can get, but I have to take issue with your statement. The high cost of living in Los Angeles is not "solely' due to illegal immigrants. That's ridiculous...and it's inaccurate statements like that which hurt our cause. Please get your facts and data straight before posting.

Los Angeles has always had a high cost of living compared to many other cities. The weather, the high number of jobs, the ocean, the diverse topography, (mountains, ocean, desert), cultural activities, etc., make it a very desirable place to live. The illegals HAVE (most definitely) put a huge strain on California's budget, and they are a drain to local economies, but they are not what makes L.A. so expensive.
I agree. I think the high cost of living has much more to do with the huge amount of people (demand for houses) and high taxes. However, illegal aliens commit crime and use welfare (even though they technically don't qualify ) so they do put a strain on city services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 07:12 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Actually seeing the fact that the California economy, prior to the fall (too much reliance on construction and finance), was doing very well...and still has better demographics than say Arizona I'd say vibrant (higher educated population, higher median income, higher per capita, higher average income, more tech sector jobs, more influence on the global economy). Look, face it, California is the biggest economy. It wouldn't change for a long time.
Are they still issuing IOUs for tax refunds, and furloughing state employees? I haven’t seen anything lately in the news.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:14 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Are they still issuing IOUs for tax refunds, and furloughing state employees? I haven’t seen anything lately in the news.
Exactly. The only thing California has bigger than the rest of the US is a bigger population of illegal aliens, anchor babies, DREAMies and debt.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The State is still furloughing employees, I think. About 2 weeks ago I spoke to a friend who works for Caltrans; she said she had to take every other Friday off.

I received my tax refund on Thursday.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:27 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachroad View Post
I agree. Los Angeles has become this over polluted arm pit of minorities who only believe in breeding and increasing their numbers. They can barely afford to survive or feed their offspring or each other and yet that doesn't stop them. You get on any freeway or road in L.A. and about 75% of them are of a foreign or minority descent. And the roads are packed, you can't move anymore, you can't go anywhere anymore. I don't know when someone of power is going to wake up and realize that they've just created and contributed in a big way to the world's downfall.
Minorities?
Try douchebags --- those are the people that tend to procreate without any real sense of responsibility.....as you should know.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:33 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
The State is still furloughing employees, I think. About 2 weeks ago I spoke to a friend who works for Caltrans; she said she had to take every other Friday off.

I received my tax refund on Thursday.
I'm sorry for your friend, but glad you received your refund. It's my understanding even some cemetery employees are being furloughed. I thought that would always be a booming business.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:33 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
The OP brings up an interesting idea -- overpopulation. We can see how overpopulation has negatively effected countries like India and China. With such a large labor pool, who really benefits? The corporations who have an almost unlimited supply of cheap labor, whether we are talking about blue collar or white collar jobs it becomes the same. This 'demand' by our politicians and businesses to open the border does not bode well for American society, neither fiscally nor environmentally. Let's look to China and India for guidance -- I don't think anyone wants our country to come that.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:58 PM

147 posts, read 212,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
Believe me, it's coming to your state if you haven't yet seen how bad it can get. In L.A. Calif. for over half a century, I've seen a sharp decline in our way of life here. The middle class are going down hill to poverty, slowly or quickly, and most are struggling financially more and more. PLEASE KNOW that whether these illegals become legal OR not, Americans WILL STILL be getting POORER EVERY YEAR, IF these immigrants do stay in America! Californians are desperately trying to hang on to their homes and their way of life. The very high cost of living here is SOLELY DUE to the massive numbers of illegals since the 80's. Only 11% of Californians can afford to buy ANY house now. Our poor are in increasingly worse shape, and many have died. It's hard to watch the PBS documentaries of the 50% rise in homelessness since last year, and see on TV and in person these smart people living in their vehicles and on streets; families/old people.

You see India and China and they are LEGAL residents, yet the large number of people there causes miserable poverty and SUFFERING each and every day. America cannot handle the massive number of illegal immigrants since the 80's and so every state/county/federal system suffers: Medical, CHILDREN's SERVICES, welfare, education, criminal, jail, prison, justice, enforcement, charities, etc. I see now why our government has abandoned us and our pleas for action: MONEY/GREED. Big busness control is finally ruining our country and Big business is finally destroying our climate, eco system and life. Liberals are also controlled by Big business it appears, they sure aren't helping our citizens where it counts in the wallet. THE ONLY THING THAT WOULD CHANGE OUR GOVERNMENT'S ACTIONS 'MAY' be IF ENOUGH OF THEM HAD TO SUFFER SEVERE FINANCIAL LOSS. OR, SEABEE? poster here said to take half of truckers OFF WORK for a WEEK concerning the Nafta super highway. What if also GOV. WORKERS and PRIVATE SECTOR workers took a few weeks off work? Would that do it?? Gov. is counting that we would be too poor to do it, but those that can save evey penny to do it, then we citizens would be listened to.

In my personal opinion, one of the things that's wrong with this country is its delinquency in taking care of its own citizens. Yes we are quick to help others out, and there's nothing wrong with that, but when it comes at the expense of other people, its not a good look. We have a prodigious problem and it stems from the willingness to feed, clothe, house, and employ outlanders before its natives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration