U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 08:06 AM

777 posts, read 1,096,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Yes, $20-$30 a day for 12 hours of work. so $9.60 an hour is more than they paid the illegals.
They have brought it upon themselves that they cannot find someone. I don't feel one bit sorry for them.
Your post makes no sense. I don’t think you grasped what happened. So let me give you an overview of the brief article:

simplified synopsis of article:
The farmers previously employed illegals at some unspecified wage—we aren’t told how much. The illegals got deported. Now the farmers are offering U.S. citizens up to $9.60 per hour for the jobs. And they can’t find any takers. But the state is considering a plan that would put incarcerated prisoners to work on the farms.

And you don't feel sorry for the farmers since they brought it on themselves? I guess I don't understand your reasoning. Or lack thereof. It is sadly humorous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 08:13 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,215,860 times
I think it would be a great idea!!! I really never knew anyone in prison but I volunteered at the Erie City Misson for a year several years ago. I have followed one of the guys who is now in prison. I'm part of his support team. He's in for seven years and takes every class they offer and is making headway. Such a HUGE percentage returns to prison and we are sure doing something wrong in there. He waited two years to get a job in prison and they get paid 19 cents an hour!!! You buy everything, and I mean everything you need from the prison store.
I think this would be a great job and maybe teach some skills so that they can get a job when they get out. It would be good exercise and use up some energy. I think they could pay them 3.00 an hour which would be great on both sides. The farmers need a huge break also. I think it would be win~win.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:50 AM

60,488 posts, read 30,701,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Your post makes no sense. I donít think you grasped what happened. So let me give you an overview of the brief article:

simplified synopsis of article:
The farmers previously employed illegals at some unspecified wageówe arenít told how much. The illegals got deported. Now the farmers are offering U.S. citizens up to $9.60 per hour for the jobs. And they canít find any takers. But the state is considering a plan that would put incarcerated prisoners to work on the farms.

And you don't feel sorry for the farmers since they brought it on themselves? I guess I don't understand your reasoning. Or lack thereof. It is sadly humorous.

You are the one that is not grasping, that illegal worker on a farm are not paid by the hour. They are paid by the day. Most illegals live on the farm, housed by the farmer someplace. The going rate for farm work in Gonzales Texas for ranch help is $30 a day. which is 24 hours, as farm and ranch work is not 9 to 5 punching a clock.

It is you that does not grasp the concept of illegal ranch and farm workers. My father-in-law, still hires them when he needs to work cattle, and calves. $30 a day, up from $20 a day, just 5 years ago.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
My father-in-law, still hires them when he needs to work cattle, and calves. $30 a day, up from $20 a day, just 5 years ago.
Ha ha! Why does this not surprise me.

I guess it is acceptable for your family to hire illegals. Just not anyone else, right?

Old 10-27-2009, 11:14 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,694,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Has it ever occured to these farmers to use the visas available to them to hire legal foreigners for those jobs? No, I guess not because they wanted to hire the cheaper illegal labor instead. Their excuses of there being a shortage of workers is oh so transparent.
I agree. Why would anyone want to work long hard hours in the field for less than $10 an hour when Wal-Mart, most grocery stores, and even waiting tables will net you more and many times with benefits, like insurance?

If you want employees, you have to at least offer them a salary they can live on.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I agree. Why would anyone want to work long hard hours in the field for less than $10 an hour when Wal-Mart, most grocery stores, and even waiting tables will net you more and many times with benefits, like insurance?

If you want employees, you have to at least offer them a salary they can live on.
If everyone felt like this—and nobody took the difficult, low paying field work jobs—then Walmart would need fewer employees. That is, after their grocery section closed down.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:49 AM

32,823 posts, read 30,091,418 times
Quote:
$9.60 > $3.00
I was talking work in general. I think now that it's been publically announced they won't have near the problem. I don't know what rent prices are in Pueblo but they should be quite low. It would be a tough call to move across Country to work in Pueblo. Pueblo is pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

Makes me wonder if they didn't already have the near free labor option in mind thus why it wasn't heavily advertised.

Bottom line is if they can't make money without using illegal labor the business deserves to fail. Let some wheat farmer buy it up.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Ha ha! Why does this not surprise me.

I guess it is acceptable for your family to hire illegals. Just not anyone else, right?

I have voiced my concerns to him, but he is a 72 year old man that is very closed minded and set in his little town country way. Talk about racist. He is very racist. But I didn't marry him.
So, I feel I'm a little more in touch with the misinformation you tried to spew.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I have voiced my concerns to him, but he is a 72 year old man that is very closed minded and set in his little town country way. Talk about racist. He is very racist. But I didn't marry him.
So, I feel I'm a little more in touch with the misinformation you tried to spew.
Misinformation? Spew? Wuch u talkin bout willis?

Old 10-27-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
$9.60 > $3.00
What were you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or