Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 11:53 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You are the one that is not grasping, that illegal worker on a farm are not paid by the hour. They are paid by the day. Most illegals live on the farm, housed by the farmer someplace. The going rate for farm work in Gonzales Texas for ranch help is $30 a day. which is 24 hours, as farm and ranch work is not 9 to 5 punching a clock.

It is you that does not grasp the concept of illegal ranch and farm workers. My father-in-law, still hires them when he needs to work cattle, and calves. $30 a day, up from $20 a day, just 5 years ago.
It's the first time I hear of someone getting paid by the day. Here in California, you get paid by the box, the bucket, the load, etc or the hour. For example, in Napa, grape pickers get paid by the truck load. Then they distribute the total among all workers. If they work individually, I have seen some grape pickers get paid up to $21.00 an hour. Many are not even legal but there is no competition. American citizens will not take those jobs either. Those picking raspberries are paid by the bucket. Each can is about the size of a large can of coffee. I dont know how much they pay now but I used to get paid $3.00 per can. Getting paid by the day is not the norm. At least not here in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
This is the sad reality, no one here wants to work, all people want is to make a good salary while doing the least amount of work possible, I see a lot of people demonizing business for hiring migrant workers, but they are left with no good options, if we don't want the migrant workers, then we need to step up to the plate.....
With so much unemployment you would think that those citizens would be fighting to fill those positions.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I agree. Why would anyone want to work long hard hours in the field for less than $10 an hour when Wal-Mart, most grocery stores, and even waiting tables will net you more and many times with benefits, like insurance?

If you want employees, you have to at least offer them a salary they can live on.
If Walmart pays $10 an hour and their employees can live on that salary, even if they barely make it, why wouldnt an employee working the fields not make it for the same salary?

What if the employer at the fields really cant afford to pay more than $10 an hour, what then? Will you be okay will loosing all our farms, fields and anything related to agriculture, to foreign countries? Are you okay with paying more money for all your imported food? As it is, we are already loosing so many companies to foreign countries.

Either we as US citizens take those jobs and work the fields or bring in immigrants to stay and do the jobs. No more come for a season and leave. If we want them to do the job, we better be prepared to offer the American Dream to them as well or we will continue to see more illegal immigration.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:55 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
It's the first time I hear of someone getting paid by the day. Here in California, you get paid by the box, the bucket, the load, etc or the hour. For example, in Napa, grape pickers get paid by the truck load. Then they distribute the total among all workers. If they work individually, I have seen some grape pickers get paid up to $21.00 an hour. Many are not even legal but there is no competition. American citizens will not take those jobs either. Those picking raspberries are paid by the bucket. Each can is about the size of a large can of coffee. I dont know how much they pay now but I used to get paid $3.00 per can. Getting paid by the day is not the norm. At least not here in California.
Interesting. Thanks for the insight.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:45 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,020 times
How about we put them on work farms with payday at the end of the year. Then when payday comes we send them on an overloaded bus back to Mexico...minus the money they owe to all real americans.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:19 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Do a little digging on Pueblo Co illegal aliens or illegal immigration and you'll see the issue in Pueblo with these people is a lot deeper than 2 criminal businesses whining about getting slave labor. It sounds like they do indeed have a lock with the local prison, very interesting. Illegals and other criminals working together on these farms. It sounds to me like the farms should be shut down.

http://mensnewsdaily.com/2007/02/28/illegal-aliens-share-american-values-depends-on-definition-of-value/ (broken link)

death on the fields in Pueblo, CO | Resistance Behind Bars: The Struggles of Incarcerated Women

Old 10-28-2009, 06:52 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
You are right times are tough, I'm happy to see that your from the area, Phoenix has been my home for over 20 years I love it here, if you are active in this community, I'm sure I know you. I work with a group
that support hispanics in tough economic conditions, and I tell you, there is a lot of people in need, mostly because of the loss in construction industry, nevertheless we help so they keep their spirits high, and get through these tough times, the community is strong which is one very important trait if you want to make it through, we also help a lot of anglos
that have made us their own family.....
Then, why don’t they use that “strong trait” to improve conditions in their countries of origin?

Old 10-28-2009, 07:02 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
You are right times are tough, I'm happy to see that your from the area, Phoenix has been my home for over 20 years I love it here, if you are active in this community, I'm sure I know you. I work with a group
that support hispanics in tough economic conditions, and I tell you, there is a lot of people in need, mostly because of the loss in construction industry, nevertheless we help so they keep their spirits high, and get through these tough times, the community is strong which is one very important trait if you want to make it through, we also help a lot of anglos
that have made us their own family.....
If said Hispanics are here legally that is one thing which I respect----------if here illegally, that makes you an enabler at best and a criminal at worst.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:23 PM

411 posts, read 468,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
I think they should also make these jobs available to ex-cons, who are also having a tough time finding work, at least they've served out their sentences.

The one thing I would never do, no matter who the person is, would be, to force someone to work, that is a receipe for disaster, I welcome ex-cons of all ethnic backgrounds, in many cases they have turned to be really good employees....

Old 10-28-2009, 06:03 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Then, why don’t they use that “strong trait” to improve conditions in their countries of origin?
It is easier to come here and mooch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration