U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:00 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,914,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I wonder if most illegal Mexican immigrants in the U.S are originally from Chiapas, Oaxaca, and Campeche.
Indeed. It is their poorest, illiterate and unwanted citizenry that are given maps and encouraged to invade this nation to drain us dry and send money back to their family members who would otherwise be left by their oligarchies and government to starve to death.

What is most perplexing is the fact that they run from their homeland which they claim a fierce loyalty to and love for, yet they demand nothing of and come to the US illegally demanding that we change our laws and culture to accomodate their culturally dysfunctional abyss and subsidize and their existence.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 01-09-2009 at 05:49 AM..

Old 01-09-2009, 04:23 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,928,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I stand by what I said...........

Face it: Mexico is not dealing with 30-60 million illegal alien Gringos from the USA.
They MAY be if our economy continues to decline into a depression....then we'll see how welcoming THEY are!

Old 01-09-2009, 05:26 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,640,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
They MAY be if our economy continues to decline into a depression....then we'll see how welcoming THEY are!
How would the Mexican public react at the arrival of several million anglophone "secos" in their midst, working 'off the books', refusing to asimilate, and demanding the Fourth of July as a legal Mexican holiday?

Old 01-09-2009, 05:37 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,904,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
How would the Mexican public react at the arrival of several million anglophone "secos" in their midst, working 'off the books', refusing to asimilate, and demanding the Fourth of July as a legal Mexican holiday?
I think the Mexicans would welcome the Fourth of July(they already do in the border towns!). Any excuse to party!

I think it would be a different, because Mexico hasn't had the benefit of having such a mixed population, and a mix of hundreds of cultures as our country has.

Refusal to assimilate? Wat yew say? I dont nintendo deez. No speek eenglish, por que my peeple deedn't wont tew asseemeelate. hablame en espanol!
(by the way, what was the 4th of July reference referring to? Cinco de mayo? or as my anglo buddies call it, drinko de mayo?((any excuse to party!)) )

Old 01-09-2009, 05:39 PM

6 posts, read 10,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Refusal to assimilate? Wat yew say? I dont nintendo deez. No speek eenglish, por que my peeple deedn't wont tew asseemeelate. hablame en espanol!
Hehe.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
(by the way, what was the 4th of July reference referring to? Cinco de mayo? or as my anglo buddies call it, drinko de mayo?((any excuse to party!)) )
No, actually the July 4 example was a tongue-in-cheek reference to September 16, not May 5. And I can't figure out if your above "dialect" is a slap at ME....a mocking of a hypothetical 'uneducated immigrant'....or an attempt to poke fun at a typical American High School graduate's grasp of English...I'll give you PARTIAL credit for "funny", though.....

And, please perdona me, because I don't hablo a spaniel very well....I realize the culpa es mio..just flojo, I guess....

Old 01-09-2009, 06:00 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,904,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
No, actually the July 4 example was a tongue-in-cheek reference to September 16, not May 5. And I can't figure out if your above "dialect" is a slap at ME....a mocking of a hypothetical 'uneducated immigrant'....or an attempt to poke fun at a typical American High School graduate's grasp of English...I'll give you PARTIAL credit for "funny", though.....

And, please perdona me, because I don't hablo a spaniel very well....I realize the culpa es mio..just flojo, I guess....
Not poking fun at you, just at the idea that Hispanics(or illegals, whichever term you prefer) aren't assimilating. The idea is really funny to me.

Every now and then, I'll find myself in certain Asian neighborhoods in LA. I like to head into a 99 Ranch Market sometimes to eat, and buy some Asian groceries.

Let me ask your opinion. What's the difference between Hispanics immigrants(or illegals) and their "refusal to assimilate", and the people who live in and shop in these Asian neighborhoods?

Most of the people in those stores don't speak English. It doesn't bother me though. I see plenty of assimilated 2nd, 3rd generation Asian-Americans.

But all your hear in these areas are those foreign languages, most of the signs are in that language. People don't seem to "want to assimilate". They want to make their neighborhood into the countries they left. What's the difference? Why is the Hispanic "refusal" to assimilate so much worse than that, of say, Asian immigrants to the people on this board?

Old 01-09-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Not poking fun at you, just at the idea that Hispanics(or illegals, whichever term you prefer) aren't assimilating. The idea is really funny to me.

Every now and then, I'll find myself in certain Asian neighborhoods in LA. I like to head into a 99 Ranch Market sometimes to eat, and buy some Asian groceries.

Let me ask your opinion. What's the difference between Hispanics immigrants(or illegals) and their "refusal to assimilate", and the people who live in and shop in these Asian neighborhoods?

Most of the people in those stores don't speak English. It doesn't bother me though. I see plenty of assimilated 2nd, 3rd generation Asian-Americans.

But all your hear in these areas are those foreign languages, most of the signs are in that language. People don't seem to "want to assimilate". They want to make their neighborhood into the countries they left. What's the difference? Why is the Hispanic "refusal" to assimilate so much worse than that, of say, Asian immigrants to the people on this board?
As I've said before..(and I enjoy your posts..MOST of the time)...the difference is MOSTLY degree. All immigrants are "new", and all have to 'assimilate', and all eventually DO...(or more correctly, all in the past HAVE...the future is in doubt).

What makes Hispanics unique is sheer volume, plus that "dirty secret" that's such a hot-button issue...the matter of illegality. It's a HUGE factor in keeping Hispanics (Primarily Mexicans and Central Americans, who I BELIEVE make up about 75% of all illegals) in the "spotlight"...it gives the xenophobes endless material on which to 'chew'....and (as I'm sure you know) it even pits Hispanic-against-Hispanic. Illegality violates the whole BASIS on which this country works.

You've heard me say before....Mexican illegals have ALWAYS been a part of California. Formerly, they were 'happy', quiet, and generally well-liked and accepted by almost everyone, Hispanic and non-Hispanic alike. I knew plenty myself.

What "brought the roof down" on Mexican illegals is the new "MEChA-style militancy. You just don't SEE this in other groups. It's practically a GUARANTEE that they're making sure that they'll be disliked...the flag-waving stuff. I recall saying to my wife as this played on TV, "It looks like the Ku Klux Klan put this together"...If you SET OUT to make the general public as mad as POSSIBLE at illegals, you couldn't do much more than these incident did. It put many, many neutral people against the whole "cause".

I know I've been over this stuff before...but again, the problem is sheer numbers, (in the millions), making assimilation hard....the fact that assimilation is no longer "pushed", just optional...plus the matter of illegality.

The "racial angle", I feel, is just a side-issue. It exists, but most decent people aren't concerned with that. Others may disagree, but I don't feel 'race' is a major factor (maybe on this FORUM...but not out in the world).

That's my honest opinion....thanks for asking.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 963 times
Herbert Hoover's mother was born in Canada, but no one every accused him of secretly being Canadian.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:48 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandoliner View Post
Herbert Hoover's mother was born in Canada, but no one every accused him of secretly being Canadian.
Maybe he didn't have to. Maybe he presented his "actual" birth certificate at the time rather than a "live certificate of birth" which isn't the actual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or