U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2009, 11:17 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 22,982,431 times
Reputation: 7246

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Bottom line:

With the notable exception of Spain itself: why in the hell are all Hispanic nations poor irrespective of their citizens' actual race then?
Chile is considered a high income nation. Argentina and Uruguay are middle income nations ; Argentina until 1930 was the 2nd richest country in the Americas next to the US, ahead of Canada. Unfortunately today its at the level of Eastern Europe. Its problems have more to do with bad government, much like Eastern Euro countries (and Argentina was certainly richer than Spain for about two thirds of the 20th century - that's why it got so many Spanish immigrants).

Costa Rica is also a middle income nation. If Cuba ever got rid of communism they would be, also. Cuba before the revolution was better off than some Western European countries.

 
Old 01-05-2009, 06:30 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,794,644 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Chile is considered a high income nation. Argentina and Uruguay are middle income nations ; Argentina until 1930 was the 2nd richest country in the Americas next to the US, ahead of Canada. Unfortunately today its at the level of Eastern Europe. Its problems have more to do with bad government, much like Eastern Euro countries (and Argentina was certainly richer than Spain for about two thirds of the 20th century - that's why it got so many Spanish immigrants).

Costa Rica is also a middle income nation. If Cuba ever got rid of communism they would be, also. Cuba before the revolution was better off than some Western European countries.
Good post, the suggestion that their problems are due to them being hispanic is just absurd.
 
Old 01-05-2009, 08:30 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,823 posts, read 30,083,197 times
Reputation: 17698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Mx's per capita income is about $12K a year-----------the USA is above $40K.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...ook/index.html
But look how cheap it is to live there. 200 a month for rent?

Cost of Living in Mexico
 
Old 01-05-2009, 08:50 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,622,827 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Chile is considered a high income nation. Argentina and Uruguay are middle income nations ; Argentina until 1930 was the 2nd richest country in the Americas next to the US, ahead of Canada. Unfortunately today its at the level of Eastern Europe. Its problems have more to do with bad government, much like Eastern Euro countries (and Argentina was certainly richer than Spain for about two thirds of the 20th century - that's why it got so many Spanish immigrants).

Costa Rica is also a middle income nation. If Cuba ever got rid of communism they would be, also. Cuba before the revolution was better off than some Western European countries.
All true.....Argentina, some years ago, was sometimes classified as a "First World" nation. It still likes to see itself as 'European'.

Costa Rica stands out among Central American nations as being mostly a nation of 'small landowners' and entrepreneurs, quite egalatarian, with little of the extreme class differences found in its neighbors. Probably also the least "militarized" of all Central American states.
 
Old 01-05-2009, 09:04 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,622,827 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Hey macmeal why is skin cancer a big problem in Australia but not in Mexico ?
ACS :: Skin Cancer Risk Highest Among Those With Fair Skin (http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/content/NWS_2_1x_Skin_Cancer_Risk_Highest_Among_Those_With _Fair_Skin.asp - broken link)

Do you think it has to do with the fact that most Mexicans have Mestizo/Amerindian like pigmentation and not fair European like pigmentation ?
Good research there, Jeff. You're probably right...Australia has a marginally higher percentage of white people in its population, and a somewhat smaller percentage of Mestizos, than does Mexico. Australia probably has more doctors specializing in skin cancers, also....meaning it gets diagnosed there earlier. Also, consider the fact that Mexico is a Catholic society, and they tend to 'cover up' just a bit more while they're surfing, while those 'crazy Aussies' like to really 'take it off' when they're at the beach....

Another fact which has baffled scientists is the seeming discrepancy in the "toughness" of Mexicans, versus the "vulnerability" of Australians. Mexicans are more resistant to skin cancer, EVEN THOUGH the 'tropic' which runs through their country is the "Tropic of Cancer"....yet, Australians, whose 'tropic' is the much less malevolent-sounding "Tropic of Capricorn", are the ones who end up getting the cancer. Go figure.

I've also noticed that Finland and Russia have a far greater percentage of alcoholics in their societies than do Pakistan and Iran. I'm trying to figure out this discrepancy now, and will share my findings (when I get them) on this forum.

Keep the research coming.

Last edited by macmeal; 01-05-2009 at 09:15 AM..
 
Old 01-05-2009, 09:50 AM
 
34,990 posts, read 33,878,052 times
Reputation: 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Good research there, Jeff. You're probably right...Australia has a marginally higher percentage of white people in its population, and a somewhat smaller percentage of Mestizos, than does Mexico. Australia probably has more doctors specializing in skin cancers, also....meaning it gets diagnosed there earlier. Also, consider the fact that Mexico is a Catholic society, and they tend to 'cover up' just a bit more while they're surfing, while those 'crazy Aussies' like to really 'take it off' when they're at the beach....

Another fact which has baffled scientists is the seeming discrepancy in the "toughness" of Mexicans, versus the "vulnerability" of Australians. Mexicans are more resistant to skin cancer, EVEN THOUGH the 'tropic' which runs through their country is the "Tropic of Cancer"....yet, Australians, whose 'tropic' is the much less malevolent-sounding "Tropic of Capricorn", are the ones who end up getting the cancer. Go figure.

I've also noticed that Finland and Russia have a far greater percentage of alcoholics in their societies than do Pakistan and Iran. I'm trying to figure out this discrepancy now, and will share my findings (when I get them) on this forum.

Keep the research coming.
Maybe because in the northern hemisphere Capricorns are born in the winter months, but in Australia those months are the height of summer!

I think I'm onto something here. Will keep you posted.
 
Old 01-05-2009, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,643,200 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Chile is considered a high income nation. Argentina and Uruguay are middle income nations ; Argentina until 1930 was the 2nd richest country in the Americas next to the US, ahead of Canada. Unfortunately today its at the level of Eastern Europe. Its problems have more to do with bad government, much like Eastern Euro countries (and Argentina was certainly richer than Spain for about two thirds of the 20th century - that's why it got so many Spanish immigrants).

Costa Rica is also a middle income nation. If Cuba ever got rid of communism they would be, also. Cuba before the revolution was better off than some Western European countries.
Chile is $14,300
Spain is $33,600
Ireland is $46,600
USA is $45,800
Uruguay is $10,800

Chile and Uruguay are closer to Bolivia ($4,400) than to the three other nations I listed in per capita income.

CIA Factbook per capita income per nation
 
Old 01-05-2009, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,643,200 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Good post, the suggestion that their problems are due to them being hispanic is just absurd.
Using your argument: why is Spain affluent and the other 'Hispanic' nations relatively poor?

Admittedly: outside of language; there is rather little of today's Spain that would be comparable to Mexican culture but still........

The USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand have little in common with Zimbable either---------yet all 5 nations were once British colonies.
 
Old 01-05-2009, 11:03 AM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,660,455 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Good research there, Jeff. You're probably right...Australia has a marginally higher percentage of white people in its population, and a somewhat smaller percentage of Mestizos, than does Mexico. Australia probably has more doctors specializing in skin cancers, also....meaning it gets diagnosed there earlier. Also, consider the fact that Mexico is a Catholic society, and they tend to 'cover up' just a bit more while they're surfing, while those 'crazy Aussies' like to really 'take it off' when they're at the beach....

Another fact which has baffled scientists is the seeming discrepancy in the "toughness" of Mexicans, versus the "vulnerability" of Australians. Mexicans are more resistant to skin cancer, EVEN THOUGH the 'tropic' which runs through their country is the "Tropic of Cancer"....yet, Australians, whose 'tropic' is the much less malevolent-sounding "Tropic of Capricorn", are the ones who end up getting the cancer. Go figure.

I've also noticed that Finland and Russia have a far greater percentage of alcoholics in their societies than do Pakistan and Iran. I'm trying to figure out this discrepancy now, and will share my findings (when I get them) on this forum.

Keep the research coming.
Frances Cress Welsing in her book "The Isis Papers" theorized white people are the genetically defective descendants of albino mutants who were forcibly exbelled from Africa. Pretty wild stuff.
Frances Cress Welsing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
Old 01-05-2009, 11:51 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,622,827 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Maybe because in the northern hemisphere Capricorns are born in the winter months, but in Australia those months are the height of summer!

I think I'm onto something here. Will keep you posted.
Please do....and if you get time, see if you can find out how many Australians wear sombreros. I couldn't seem to get anything to come up on this subject, but bareheaded Aussies would probably be at a disadvantage cancer-wise, compared to Mexicans in huge sombreros....(or even in ball caps, for that matter).

Meanwhile, I'll keep looking for further information on this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top