U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2009, 05:25 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
And yet, I bet there's plenty of poor people in the United States who wish they could immigrate somewhere where their luck would be better.
.
I agree with this...( I love 'hypothetical arguments). There may very well be poor Americans who 'wish they could re-locate', etc etc etc), just as you say.

The point is, they DON'T....nor would most Americans feel comfortable entering any country illegally and setting up housekeeping there. Americans are way too hung up on 'following the rules' to ever do this in any significant numbers (cultural differences, once again). A few young 'singles' may go for this...and in fact, a few DO so. But American families? Not very likely, I'm afraid.

If large numbers of Americans ever DID begin to gather in another country, illegally, I can bet you a month's pay that ONE thing would NOT happen..they wouldn't 'announce' themselves....nor would they surge through the streets waving the 'Stars and Stripes', and demanding they be allowed to STAY...OR ELSE. Most Americans wouldn't have the 'stomach' to do this, and would live very quietly, and very nervously, 'below the radar', doing everything they could to not 'irritate' the locals, and 'screw up a good thing'..(in fact, that's the way Mexican illegals USED to live, here in California.....and as I recall it, VERY few local Americans paid them much attention..They were glad to be here, we were glad to have them, and it was a 'win-win' situation. I knew MANY such people personally).

This is, of course, strictly a hypothetical scenario...but I think you'd find that if it ever came to pass, American illegals living 'off the grid' in foreign lands would be GRATEFUL to their hosts, not resentful.

Someday we may find out...but for now, that's my thoughts.

 
Old 01-08-2009, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,897,766 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I agree with this...( I love 'hypothetical arguments). There may very well be poor Americans who 'wish they could re-locate', etc etc etc), just as you say.

The point is, they DON'T....nor would most Americans feel comfortable entering any country illegally and setting up housekeeping there. Americans are way too hung up on 'following the rules' to ever do this in any significant numbers (cultural differences, once again). A few young 'singles' may go for this...and in fact, a few DO so. But American families? Not very likely, I'm afraid.

If large numbers of Americans ever DID begin to gather in another country, illegally, I can bet you a month's pay that ONE thing would NOT happen..they wouldn't 'announce' themselves....nor would they surge through the streets waving the 'Stars and Stripes', and demanding they be allowed to STAY...OR ELSE. Most Americans wouldn't have the 'stomach' to do this, and would live very quietly, and very nervously, 'below the radar', doing everything they could to not 'irritate' the locals, and 'screw up a good thing'..(in fact, that's the way Mexican illegals USED to live, here in California.....and as I recall it, VERY few local Americans paid them much attention..They were glad to be here, we were glad to have them, and it was a 'win-win' situation. I knew MANY such people personally).

This is, of course, strictly a hypothetical scenario...but I think you'd find that if it ever came to pass, American illegals living 'off the grid' in foreign lands would be GRATEFUL to their hosts, not resentful.

Someday we may find out...but for now, that's my thoughts.
They don't because they can't. There's nowhere better than the United States, within walking distance at least. If you're not doing good here, well, that's pretty much as good as it gets.

And are you really going to paint Americans with such a broad brush? And Hispanics as well?

Don't want to put words in your mouth, but are you saying that in general, Americans are better people than Mexicans?
 
Old 01-08-2009, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I agree with this...( I love 'hypothetical arguments). There may very well be poor Americans who 'wish they could re-locate', etc etc etc), just as you say.

The point is, they DON'T....nor would most Americans feel comfortable entering any country illegally and setting up housekeeping there. Americans are way too hung up on 'following the rules' to ever do this in any significant numbers (cultural differences, once again). A few young 'singles' may go for this...and in fact, a few DO so. But American families? Not very likely, I'm afraid.

If large numbers of Americans ever DID begin to gather in another country, illegally, I can bet you a month's pay that ONE thing would NOT happen..they wouldn't 'announce' themselves....nor would they surge through the streets waving the 'Stars and Stripes', and demanding they be allowed to STAY...OR ELSE. Most Americans wouldn't have the 'stomach' to do this, and would live very quietly, and very nervously, 'below the radar', doing everything they could to not 'irritate' the locals, and 'screw up a good thing'..(in fact, that's the way Mexican illegals USED to live, here in California.....and as I recall it, VERY few local Americans paid them much attention..They were glad to be here, we were glad to have them, and it was a 'win-win' situation. I knew MANY such people personally).

This is, of course, strictly a hypothetical scenario...but I think you'd find that if it ever came to pass, American illegals living 'off the grid' in foreign lands would be GRATEFUL to their hosts, not resentful.

Someday we may find out...but for now, that's my thoughts.
You know that and I know that: but the pro illegal alien fans will never admit to that for obvious reasons.

It is as if Mexico (the largest source of illegals) is dying as both a culture and as a nation.
 
Old 01-08-2009, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
They don't because they can't. There's nowhere better than the United States, within walking distance at least. If you're not doing good here, well, that's pretty much as good as it gets.

And are you really going to paint Americans with such a broad brush? And Hispanics as well?

Don't want to put words in your mouth, but are you saying that in general, Americans are better people than Mexicans?
All the more reason to close/lock our southern border, cancel birthright citizenship and start using 'Draconian' measures (within US law) to evict the illegal aliens.
 
Old 01-08-2009, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,897,766 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You know that and I know that: but the pro illegal alien fans will never admit to that for obvious reasons.

It is as if Mexico (the largest source of illegals) is dying as both a culture and as a nation.
Youre hardly a good source on that, being that you are pretty much clueless to Mexico's culture as well as the nation.
 
Old 01-08-2009, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
What's with this asinine post? It loses on too many levels.
Oh, I see. . . it’s perfectly logical and acceptable for Mexicans “seeking a better life” to relocate to the US, but my suggestion of a reciprocal migration is asinine.

Now that I think of it, I guess my suggestion is rather asinine considering the enforcement of immigration laws, and the swift and brutal reprisals illegals caught in Mexico receive. In addition, illegals in Mexico would never be permitted to displace Mexican citizens; would never be afforded the right to tax-funded prenatal/postnatal care; would never be permitted to bankrupt hospitals; would never be permitted to have their children receive a tax-funded K-12 eduation, or receive welfare, WIC, or any other government funded benefits for their "new" Mexican offspring.

Heck, what was I thinking? Thank you for jolting me back to reality.
 
Old 01-08-2009, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,897,766 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Oh, I see. . . it’s perfectly logical and acceptable for Mexicans “seeking a better life” to relocate to the US, but my suggestion of a reciprocal migration is asinine.

Now that I think of it, I guess my suggestion is rather asinine considering the enforcement of immigration laws, and the swift and brutal reprisals illegals caught in Mexico receive. In addition, illegals in Mexico would never be permitted to displace Mexican citizens; would never be afforded the right to tax-funded prenatal/postnatal care; would never be permitted to bankrupt hospitals; would never be permitted to have their children receive a tax-funded K-12 eduation, or receive welfare, WIC, or any other government funded benefits for their "new" Mexican offspring.

Heck, what was I thinking? Thank you for jolting me back to reality.
How is Americans immigrating to Mexico realistic? My point is, if there was a country with better opportunity than the United States within walking distance, I'm sure a lot of America's poorest people would immigrate there in a heart beat.
But unfortunately, America's as good as it gets. Poor Americans don't illegally immigrate any where, because it doesn't benefit them to. But if it did, they would. For someone to say "Americans wouldn't do that!" have no reason to say that. Americans arent in the position to. But if the poor were leaving the United States to a neighboring richer country, do you really think ALL of them would do it legally?
Just like if all the people from Europe and Asia that populated this country didn't have to cross a vast ocean and get into the United States via a port, you'd see massive numbers of illegals from there as well. They only did it legally because it wasn't worth the chance sneaking across the Atlantic in a rowboat. Not because they were "better people".
In fact, many STILL come illegally from across the world!


You took my commentary, and turned it into some kind of tired argument that "Americans aren't immigrating to Mexico!" Yeah, no shi-! What does your point have to do with mine?
 
Old 01-08-2009, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Youre hardly a good source on that, being that you are pretty much clueless to Mexico's culture as well as the nation.
The fallout of Mexico's dysfunctional 'culture' speaks for itself-----------scads of illegal aliens here in the USA.
 
Old 01-08-2009, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,897,766 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The fallout of Mexico's dysfunctional 'culture' speaks for itself-----------scads of illegal aliens here in the USA.
I will choose not to go your route and repeat what I've said into oblivion. It went right over your head. Or did you think that was a Frisbee?
 
Old 01-08-2009, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
I will choose not to go your route and repeat what I've said into oblivion. It went right over your head. Or did you think that was a Frisbee?
I stand by what I said...........

Face it: Mexico is not dealing with 30-60 million illegal alien Gringos from the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top