U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:11 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,897,766 times

Advertisements

Hard work won them a place in a diverse culture | The San Diego Union-Tribune

About immigration during the early 20th Century to Tijuana, as well as hardships during the World War II because of Allied mandates.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:19 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,894,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Hard work won them a place in a diverse culture | The San Diego Union-Tribune

About immigration during the early 20th Century to Tijuana, as well as hardships during the World War II because of Allied mandates.
Another famous Hispanic Japanese- Alberto Fujimori, ex president (accused of corruption) of Peru.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Another famous Hispanic Japanese- Alberto Fujimori, ex president (accused of corruption) of Peru.
Now that I think about it, Latin America has had a few immigrant presidents. From Japan and Europe.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:31 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Now that I think about it, Latin America has had a few immigrant presidents. From Japan and Europe.
Fujimori was born in Peru but his parents came from Japan

Vincente Fox (Fuchs) was born in Mexico (father or both paternal grandparents from the USA and mother from Spain).

Old 12-30-2008, 03:57 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Quote:
I don't know how many Latin American nations allow immigrants to be President...I do know that, for example, Fidel Castro was "first generation" Cuban...his father immigrated to Cuba from Galicia (part of Spain).

I do recall some years ago reading in 'Time' or 'Newsweek' about some sort of Latin American 'summit conference' being held at the time. Out of nine "Heads of State" in attendance, only two had Spanish surnames. I know a number of people of "other-than-Spanish" Latin American heritage....as well as plenty of "other-than-English" Americans. Happens in ALL immigrant societies.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I don't know how many Latin American nations allow immigrants to be President...I do know that, for example, Fidel Castro was "first generation" Cuban...his father immigrated to Cuba from Galicia (part of Spain).

I do recall some years ago reading in 'Time' or 'Newsweek' about some sort of Latin American 'summit conference' being held at the time. Out of nine "Heads of State" in attendance, only two had Spanish surnames. I know a number of people of "other-than-Spanish" Latin American heritage....as well as plenty of "other-than-English" Americans. Happens in ALL immigrant societies.
I guess I should say a few 1st generation immigrant presidents.
I know we've had a president of Irish/Catholic descent, and then Obama. Who am I missing?

Old 12-30-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I guess I should say a few 1st generation immigrant presidents.
I know we've had a president of Irish/Catholic descent, and then Obama. Who am I missing?
Not sure what you mean...just plain "non-WASP'S"?....how about Van Buren? Both Roosevelts? I honestly don't know how many US Presidents were actually 'first generation'....especially in the very earliest years, when the US didn't exist, and presumably the day after Independence, EVERYONE would have been "new".

I suppose there a lots of articles written on this..but I can't think of any right at the moment.

BTW...your article was interesting. I hadn't been aware that there was much Japanese presence in Mexico. The Japanese DID immigrate in large numbers, long ago to Brazil (HUGE community there today, mostly in two states)....and to Peru. In fact, during World War II, Peru "relocated" some of its Japanese-descended population...some of them to 'camps' in the US..where some of them elected to stay on after the war was over)...

There IS an old Chinese community in the area of Mexicali,BC....many of whose ancestors fled there aroung the turn of the (last) century, to avoid harrassment in California. It's still there, and there are a lot of Chinese restaurants, businesses and 'surnames' in that area.

Last edited by macmeal; 12-30-2008 at 05:19 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Not sure what you mean...just plain "non-WASP'S"?....how about Van Buren? Both Roosevelts? I honestly don't know how many US Presidents were actually 'first generation'....especially in the very earliest years, when the US didn't exist, and presumably the day after Independence, EVERYONE would have been "new".

I suppose there a lots of articles written on this..but I can't think of any right at the moment.

BTW...your article was interesting. I hadn't been aware that there was much Japanese presence in Mexico. The Japanese DID immigrate in large numbers, long ago to Brazil (HUGE community there today, mostly in two states)....and to Peru. In fact, during World War II, Peru "relocated" some of its Japanese-descended population...some of them to 'camps' in the US..where some of them elected to stay on after the war was over)...

There IS an old Chinese community in the area of Mexicali,BC....many of whose ancestors fled there aroung the turn of the (last) century, to avoid harrassment in California. It's still there, and there are a lot of Chinese restaurants, businesses and 'surnames' in that area.
I am very familiar with the Chinese community in Mexicali. Mexico has a few immigrant communities such as Germans, Lebanese, among others.

Out of curiosity..wouldn't people with German and Dutch surnames be considered WASP?
Since they are Germanic in origin?

Old 12-30-2008, 06:57 PM

21,026 posts, read 15,229,299 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity..wouldn't people with German and Dutch surnames be considered WASP?
I didn't think so, but, here's an interesting background of the term:

White Anglo-Saxon Protestant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-30-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I am very familiar with the Chinese community in Mexicali. Mexico has a few immigrant communities such as Germans, Lebanese, among others.

Why not?....I dislike these labels anyway....but sounds OK to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or