U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-29-2008, 10:53 PM
 
Location: John From Scranton
858 posts, read 2,689,373 times
Reputation: 426

Advertisements

Should it be right for an illeagal to come to the USA, have a child, then the child grows up and gets dual citizenship?? I dont really understand why or how that works....

Anyone??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2008, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,898,074 times
Reputation: 226
Dual-Citizenship has nothing to do with illegals.
If the child of an immigrant, chooses to, he has the ability to apply for dual citizenship. As long as that person has a parent born in the country in question.

This usually has to do with being able to buy property or inherit family property(so it doesn't end up being handed to someone else or the government) in that other country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 11:11 PM
 
Location: John From Scranton
858 posts, read 2,689,373 times
Reputation: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Dual-Citizenship has nothing to do with illegals.
If the child of an immigrant, chooses to, he has the ability to apply for dual citizenship. As long as that person has a parent born in the country in question.

This usually has to do with being able to buy property or inherit family property(so it doesn't end up being handed to someone else or the government) in that other country.

OK I think i got it... So what your saying is as long as parent isnt an illegal, living in the US, the child can get dual citizenship.

I guess what i was trying to get at.. Is lets say an illegal, comes to the US, has babies with someone born and raised in the US, Is it right for them kids to beabale to get dual citizenship?? Seeing as half the child was for an illegal in the first place??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,898,074 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
OK I think i got it... So what your saying is as long as parent isnt an illegal, living in the US, the child can get dual citizenship.

I guess what i was trying to get at.. Is lets say an illegal, comes to the US, has babies with someone born and raised in the US, Is it right for them kids to beabale to get dual citizenship?? Seeing as half the child was for an illegal in the first place??
Well, if the parent is in this country is illegal, then that parent is still a citizen of that country. And if the child is born here, it is a citizen of the U.S. From what I understand, the child can apply for citizenship in the other country.

The U.S. allows dual citizenship, so it's up to the other country and it's laws on whether or not that person can get citizenship in their country.
It doesn't really having anything to do with illegals. I hear about this being more common with American citizens who have immigrant parents, or naturalized citizens with parents in the country of origin.

I don't see what's wrong with dual citizenship. Like I said, it has mostly do to with claiming property.
If an American citizen has a parent that was a citizen of say, Mexico, he might want to get a dual citizenship because
A.) He might want to own a home down by the beach in Mexico or something.

or
B.) His family owned a ranch in Mexico, and since his parent who owned it has since passed away, he might want to claim it so it stays in the family.


I don't know everything about dual citizenship, but that's the little bit I know about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 11:41 PM
 
Location: John From Scranton
858 posts, read 2,689,373 times
Reputation: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Well, if the parent is in this country is illegal, then that parent is still a citizen of that country. And if the child is born here, it is a citizen of the U.S. From what I understand, the child can apply for citizenship in the other country.

The U.S. allows dual citizenship, so it's up to the other country and it's laws on whether or not that person can get citizenship in their country.
It doesn't really having anything to do with illegals. I hear about this being more common with American citizens who have immigrant parents, or naturalized citizens with parents in the country of origin.

I don't see what's wrong with dual citizenship. Like I said, it has mostly do to with claiming property.
If an American citizen has a parent that was a citizen of say, Mexico, he might want to get a dual citizenship because
A.) He might want to own a home down by the beach in Mexico or something.

or
B.) His family owned a ranch in Mexico, and since his parent who owned it has since passed away, he might want to claim it so it stays in the family.


I don't know everything about dual citizenship, but that's the little bit I know about it.
Thanks for the info, was reading about it in the local, paper and really wasnt sure what it was all about..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top