U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-30-2008, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
I am sure the Tijuana stats would make NO look like Disney World. Terrible things happening there and in Juarez. Stay safe!!!
And I am afraid things as you described are going to get worse (possibly much worse) before they improve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-30-2008, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
You never claim but you hypothesize... Sorry not an attack but the article and others similar in nature don't really state the immigrants are poverty stricken. They are working right? Usually people working don't turn to crime. In fact the employed prospre and multiply insurance or no insurance. Unemployment, desperation, drug trade and boredom are the influences to crime. We have a system where people can take advantage this holds true for US citizens as well as non.
Watch our economy: if things indeed deteriorate much further--------------the battle to secure our borders as well as cancelling birthright citizenship (assuming that both parents are here illegally) coupled with mass deportations will grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 10:09 PM
 
197 posts, read 231,586 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Watch our economy: if things indeed deteriorate much further--------------the battle to secure our borders as well as cancelling birthright citizenship (assuming that both parents are here illegally) coupled with mass deportations will grow.

Who's going to champion against birthright citizenship???
Obama? B. Richardson?

I DON'T THINK SO !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2008, 02:07 AM
 
Location: Mexifornia (for now)
136 posts, read 256,902 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
You never claim but you hypothesize... Sorry not an attack but the article and others similar in nature don't really state the immigrants are poverty stricken. They are working right? Usually people working don't turn to crime. In fact the employed prospre and multiply insurance or no insurance. Unemployment, desperation, drug trade and boredom are the influences to crime. We have a system where people can take advantage this holds true for US citizens as well as non.
Let me clarify the gist of my posts in this thread:

a) I oppose illegals living and working in the US.
b) The illegals most likely flooding to New Orleans are most likely poor.
c) Adding likely poor illegals to an already poor and damaged city will not solve problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2008, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
Who's going to champion against birthright citizenship???
Obama? B. Richardson?

I DON'T THINK SO !!!
Its end is coming...........

Remember my words: Mori-vivi; watch the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2008, 10:10 AM
 
608 posts, read 881,125 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonaldson View Post
Let me clarify the gist of my posts in this thread:

a) I oppose illegals living and working in the US.
b) The illegals most likely flooding to New Orleans are most likely poor.
c) Adding likely poor illegals to an already poor and damaged city will not solve problems.
"Most likely" is an opinion and we are all entitled to it. There is still no link between immigrant workers (illegal and legal) causing conditions to deteriorate. Workers (legal and illegal) have money and spend in the local economy. Spending, renting and such contribute to taxes. Unemployed criminals and drug dealers do nothing to contribute to the economy. New Orleans already a crime ridden corrupt city before Katrina has bigger issues. However, without infrastructure and housing those with money will not return in numbers. How do you build a city when you cannot find workers or entice criminals and the unemployed to pick up a hammer and work? If we could answer that question we may have another way to reduce the need for immigrant (legal and illegal) workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 12:17 AM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 22,959,819 times
Reputation: 7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Its end is coming.
Spain and Germany don't have birthright citizenship but both have immigration problems.

And if you think the 14th Amendment had nothing to do with immigration, at the time it was written immigration (from Ireland and Germany) WAS a big issue.

History's shown that it's not a good idea to change the US Constitution on a whim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 06:34 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Spain and Germany don't have birthright citizenship but both have immigration problems.

And if you think the 14th Amendment had nothing to do with immigration, at the time it was written immigration (from Ireland and Germany) WAS a big issue.

History's shown that it's not a good idea to change the US Constitution on a whim.
Flip side: both France and Ireland cancelled birthright citizenship in recent years----------it is past time to follow their lead here in the USA.

As for at least Spain: the authorities there are much harsher against their illegal aliens (including New World Hispanics) than us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 07:57 AM
 
1,353 posts, read 3,130,832 times
Reputation: 891
Well, since US cities with the highest numbers of illegals like El Paso and Los Angeles are actually experiencing a rapid DECREASE in crime, this sounds like great news for New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2009, 08:50 AM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,658,723 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Well, since US cities with the highest numbers of illegals like El Paso and Los Angeles are actually experiencing a rapid DECREASE in crime, this sounds like great news for New Orleans.
As long as it's illegals from sob benefitting at the expense of black and whites I am sure its all good. No big deal city by city, state by state Hispanics become majority via illegal immigration and 3rd world birth rates. Lets all celebrate.

[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTefhjIGZJxS8ALa2jzbkF/SIG=12go3ir1v/EXP=1231516131/**http%3A//lavidaboca.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/fireworks1.jpg[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top