Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:28 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,757,602 times

Advertisements

It is my experince that Georgia is the most anti immigrant state in the country. When it comes to anything, they give LEGAL immigrants 8 kinds of HELL trying to do things other citizens take for granted. Consider just a FEW items I have had to deal with (my wife being a LEGAL immigrant from Canada):

1. Drivers License: Georgia issues drivers licenses for 10 years for citizens but limits them to only 2 years for non citizens no matter what their status is. My daughter's green card does not expire until 2014 but they still force her to appear in person and pay for a renewal every 2 years while most citizens can renew every 10 years by mail. This is total BS. I can understand that they do not want to isue licenses to illgeals or to have people illegally here driving but if an immgrant has a green card that expires in 2014, the license should expire on the same date and not every 2 years. So the way it is, if a visa holder- like a student- has a visa that expires in 5 months, he gets to drive an extra 1.5 years while the legal immigrant with a green card that expires in 8 years has to come in and pay to renew 4 times!

2. College Admission: This is where you REALLY catch hell! When my daughter applied to college, we checked NO on the US Citizen question and put her A number on the application and enclosed a copy of her green card. But this was not good enough for Georgia. They classifed her as a "non resident" and made us petition (beg) them to make her a resident. I was furious at that point. I am a citizen and have lived here since 1996 and paid taxes to this place. My daughter has attended school here for 11 years and her transcrpits clearly show that! So the make the racist happy, I had to send in the following:
1. Copy of me and my wife's tax return- Federal and State
2. Letter from my employer
3. Birth certificate for child
4. Passport copy or birth certitficate for me and my wife
5. Marriage license
6. Certified copy of Warranty Deed for house (this pissed me off the most because I had to miss work to get it)
7. Copy- front and back of daughter and wifes green card

NONE of this except for the child's green card is necesary to establish the fact she is a legal resident of the USA. They already had her school transcripts indicating she is a resident of Georgia. The funny thing is that the state does not even check if you LIE and check the CITIZEN box on the application. I will check that next time!

3. Auto tags: The state, in its wisdom, decided that you have to present a drivers license to renew your license plates BUT they left a nice loop hole- the county can elect to accept a drivers license from another state or even Mexico! So if you are a LEGAL immigrant with a Georgia license, you must go down and renew in person every year. If you are a CITIZEN with a Georgia license, you can renew by mail or on line every year. If you are an ILLEGAL with a license from South Carolina where they issue licenses to illegals or even from Mexico and you live in a sanctuary county like Fulton that takes out of state and out of country licenses (or at least say you do), you too can renew your tag my mail. Only LEGAL immigrants have to appear in person.
As you can see, Georgia is just anti immigrant. They really don't care about legal vs illegal. We should honestly sue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 10:03 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It is my experince that Georgia is the most anti immigrant state in the country. When it comes to anything, they give LEGAL immigrants 8 kinds of HELL trying to do things other citizens take for granted. Consider just a FEW items I have had to deal with (my wife being a LEGAL immigrant from Canada):

1. Drivers License: Georgia issues drivers licenses for 10 years for citizens but limits them to only 2 years for non citizens no matter what their status is. My daughter's green card does not expire until 2014 but they still force her to appear in person and pay for a renewal every 2 years while most citizens can renew every 10 years by mail. This is total BS. I can understand that they do not want to isue licenses to illgeals or to have people illegally here driving but if an immgrant has a green card that expires in 2014, the license should expire on the same date and not every 2 years. So the way it is, if a visa holder- like a student- has a visa that expires in 5 months, he gets to drive an extra 1.5 years while the legal immigrant with a green card that expires in 8 years has to come in and pay to renew 4 times!

2. College Admission: This is where you REALLY catch hell! When my daughter applied to college, we checked NO on the US Citizen question and put her A number on the application and enclosed a copy of her green card. But this was not good enough for Georgia. They classifed her as a "non resident" and made us petition (beg) them to make her a resident. I was furious at that point. I am a citizen and have lived here since 1996 and paid taxes to this place. My daughter has attended school here for 11 years and her transcrpits clearly show that! So the make the racist happy, I had to send in the following:
5. Marriage license
6. Certified copy of Warranty Deed for house (this pissed me off the most because I had to miss work to get it)

NONE of this except for the child's green card is necesary to establish the fact she is a legal resident of the USA. They already had her school transcripts indicating she is a resident of Georgia. The funny thing is that the state does not even check if you LIE and check the CITIZEN box on the application. I will check that next time!

3. Auto tags: The state, in its wisdom, decided that you have to present a drivers license to renew your license plates BUT they left a nice loop hole- the county can elect to accept a drivers license from another state or even Mexico! So if you are a LEGAL immigrant with a Georgia license, you must go down and renew in person every year. If you are a CITIZEN with a Georgia license, you can renew by mail or on line every year. If you are an ILLEGAL with a license from South Carolina where they issue licenses to illegals or even from Mexico and you live in a sanctuary county like Fulton that takes out of state and out of country licenses (or at least say you do), you too can renew your tag my mail. Only LEGAL immigrants have to appear in person.
As you can see, Georgia is just anti immigrant. They really don't care about legal vs illegal. We should honestly sue.
If your info is correct: they need to lighten up on the legal immigrants but really crack the whip against the illegal ones.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:07 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
This is confusing. How can the State be anti-immigrant if they let them renew by mail? The Illegal Aliens that is.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:23 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,930,260 times
Oh man, what a pain. Sorry you had to go through that KevK

Old 01-01-2009, 10:03 PM

608 posts, read 1,004,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post

5. Marriage license

I used to live in Atlanta Georgia. Moved away as soon as I could. Beautiful city but nothing seemed to make sense.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:20 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times
Personally, I see nothing wrong with the way Georgia handles things. Other states should take note

Old 01-02-2009, 09:10 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,930,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Personally, I see nothing wrong with the way Georgia handles things. Other states should take note
There's nothing wrong in making life difficult for everyone not US citizens including LEGAL aliens?

I think in life there's fair and reasonable ways to do things. A lot of time, energy and money would be saved if people realize that.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:50 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,188,694 times
Sorry, this sounds like a lot of whining and bashing. My mother was a legal immigrant who became a naturalized US citizen in the 1950s. I'm also a citizen of the US and the State of Georgia.

Your family is being allowed to live in our country and take advantage of our education system and are being given the privilege of driving on our roads. Sorry you feel too inconvenienced by having to spend a couple of hours a year renewing licenses and plates. Some of the rules, if your description of them is correct, are probably put in place to ensure compliance by aliens to our laws and to deliberately inconvenience those who do not comply. There is no reason why we cannot hold aliens to a separate standard from citizens. In fact, it's the prudent thing to do.

Your family is here as our guests until they become citizens...if the laws aren't to your liking, then Delta leaves from Hartsfield Airport for many Canadian destinations. You wife can always go back to Canada and enjoy their lax regulations and laws that you may find more convenient.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Then don't immigrate to Georgia. That's simple enough.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:33 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,895,233 times
I suggest you have your spouse and daughter apply for citizenship. When I had my greencard, I had a fixed amount of time to apply for citizenship or lose the greencard. I think that the logic is that you either want to be here and be a citizen or not. It's painful to have to choose to reliquish your citizenship, but I think it makes sense. If you live here, your allegiance should be to the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration