U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-21-2009, 12:20 PM
 
608 posts, read 880,836 times
Reputation: 64

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
In the Third World, (and under the terms of its culture), there's ZERO concept of 'The Government' being made up of 'us'....it just doesn't register. There, 'The Government' is a remote, unfeeling, poorly-understood system of rules and onerous, burdensome regulations put in place by 'someone else', for the sole purpose of controlling 'us', keeping 'us' in check, and 'shaking us down' for money.

In such an environment, any 'good' thing or benefit coming from 'The System' isn't seen as 'costing' anything....it's just seen as a 'windfall'. little different from winning the lottery. You take your 'perks' as they come, for life is tough, and you don't worry about any moral dimension connected with 'taking', because what you're 'taking' is just something that's 'meant to be taken' (If they didn't 'want you to take it', they'd STOP you..right?).

In the Third World, there's no connection felt between 'The Government' and 'the people'.....except as natural adversaries.
So we ARE our own worse enemy. The US has created this concept of entitlement to permanent and temporary benefits and services. Legal as well as illegal have figured out how to exploit it over the years. The sad thing is that we, the US voters, have let it get to this point. In the US the government represents the people so in theory the people support the system as it has evolved to today. In the US I find we tend to be unhappy when we are at the boiling point just prior to a crisis or in the middle of a crisis. The real question is how do we as a whole become more proactive to avoid such crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2009, 12:38 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
So we ARE our own worse enemy. The US has created this concept of entitlement to permanent and temporary benefits and services. Legal as well as illegal have figured out how to exploit it over the years. The sad thing is that we, the US voters, have let it get to this point. In the US the government represents the people so in theory the people support the system as it has evolved to today. In the US I find we tend to be unhappy when we are at the boiling point just prior to a crisis or in the middle of a crisis. The real question is how do we as a whole become more proactive to avoid such crisis.
Sadly, there are few prototypes in history for the effect of 'Freedom' on the human psyche. No one KNOWS what 4, 5, or 6 generations of Freedom will DO to a society, because it's never happened anywhere for us to observe.

It could be that the Human Spirit, left 'free' to live by its OWN rules, responsible only to ITSELF, will simply 'fizzle', and once the basic problems of 'eating' and 'surviving' are overcome, we just sink into complacency. As I said, no one knows for sure.

Yes, as you say, "We" (all of us, as members of a free society) have "let" this happen. Why? Probably a lot of it, as I said, is complacency.

Another strong factor, IMHO, is "Western Guilt" ('affluent guilt' if you will), which causes a great naivete. In our effort to 'help' others, we TAKE IT FOR GRANTED that they'll 'want to reciprocate'. (After ALL, we're all 'people', right? And if someone helped US, we'd want to repay them..right? So if WE help people..ANY people...they'll 'Thank' us..right?) Sadly, that's a pretty naive attitude (naivete being one of the FOREMOST requirements for multiculturalism). No, people are NOT 'all alike', and sometimes, what's perceived as 'niceness' or 'permissiveness' by one group, will be percieved as just plain 'stupid' by another....and acts of kindness don't ALWAYS produce gratitude...in some cultures, they produce demands for MORE acts of kindness.

But try telling US that....we're 'multicultural', after all...which means we're 'all in agreement here'.....sure we are. (too bad EVERYONE isn't !)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, New York
147 posts, read 186,307 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Untold thousands of illegal immigrants live in public housing at a time when hundreds of thousands of citizens and legal residents are stuck waiting years for a spot.
Illegal immigrants make up a tiny portion of the 7.1 million people in federal housing, according to government statistics. But authorities may be unaware of thousands more, and critics say no illegal immigrant should get housing benefits.
The issue made headlines in November with news that Zeituni Onyango, an aunt of President-elect Barack Obama, was living in Boston public housing while in the country illegally.


National News - Many illegal immigrants live in public housing (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20090101/Public.Housing.Immigrants/ - broken link)



I can tell you from first hand experience at work. Many illegal immigrants get into public housing because once they come here (if they have no family) they move into a shelter. Publis housing prioritizes by 1st domestic violence victims 2) shelter residents and 3rd) people who are displaced because of fire, etc. The problem is that for every illegal immigrant that is on the lease, there are many others who are not. Not only is the process unfair, it creates a whole slew of problems. By definition, public housing is low income housing and is based on your income 30%.










Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 12:49 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrapola1975 View Post
I can tell you from first hand experience at work. Many illegal immigrants get into public housing because once they come here (if they have no family) they move into a shelter. Publis housing prioritizes by 1st domestic violence victims 2) shelter residents and 3rd) people who are displaced because of fire, etc. The problem is that for every illegal immigrant that is on the lease, there are many others who are not. Not only is the process unfair, it creates a whole slew of problems. By definition, public housing is low income housing and is based on your income 30%.
I've heard stories identical to yours. Obama's aunt, who remains in the US, illegally and in hiding is representative of that fact. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that she is now living in a spare room of the White House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, New York
147 posts, read 186,307 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
That theory is wrong. Black people are leaving South Central because it's South Central.
A lot of people are leaving California in general because they are realizing their money goes a lot further in other places.

As Black population decreases in LA, it jumped in the Inland Empire, Palmdale, desert cities.

It has nothing to do with 0.4 percent of people living in housing possibly being illegal.

It just happens that Latinos are moving into the inexpensive neighborhoods.








Possibly? What planet do you live on??
Cost of illegals to California $10.5 billion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 06:29 PM
 
117 posts, read 259,365 times
Reputation: 87
Originally Posted by antialphabet
It just happens that Latinos are moving into the inexpensive neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And why is that? Because they work for dirt wages or they live off welfare handouts. They aren't finishing school, they aren't learning job skills, they aren't trying to learn English or hold off on having children until they are finished with school, have a job and are married.

It comes down to the fact that most illegals can't make it in their own country for the same reason they can't make it here, they couldn't make anything of themselves where they could speak the language and knew the culture. They come here and refuse to learn our language and culture and so it's no surprise that they have to turn to housing projects.

There is no good reason at all that we are importing so much poverty on such a massive scale.
He didn't say illegals, he said Latinos. Your view is ridiculous about Latinos because many of us are proud American citizens who are hard workers. Please, you sound like some KKK member or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 06:49 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
Originally Posted by antialphabet
It just happens that Latinos are moving into the inexpensive neighborhoods.



He didn't say illegals, he said Latinos. Your view is ridiculous about Latinos because many of us are proud American citizens who are hard workers. Please, you sound like some KKK member or something.
U are not following the thread. Malamute specifically points out the difference between legal and illegal Latinos or any race for that matter. There are also many illegal Canadians and Irish. The other character likes to lump Illegals and Latinos together for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2009, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, New York
147 posts, read 186,307 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereignty View Post
It’s the United States government relationship with Big Business, that’s the reason for open boarders. The taxpayers just foot the bills for illegal aliens, Anchor Babies, Welfare, Medicare, Public Housing, Education . . . So, I would think that it's unfair to blame the average American for making money off illegal aliens because they don’t! The real blame belongs to the politicians that accept Lobbyist money from Big Business to vote in regulation in Congress and the Senate to continue to allow open borders and allow illegal aliens to continue to break the laws. We must stop Lobbyist Bribes to politicians and enforce the laws already on the book!

That argument is soo overused. The fact of the matter is is that it's easier to blame politicians and lobbyists for what's wrong with this picture. Now, i'm not saying they're totally blameless but that is no excuse. People need to take responsibility for themselves. The government does not force anyone to break the law, they have a choice and the're choice is well compensated. By the same token we should legalize all drugs because the government allows them to come into the country too, right? Same argument I hear, they allow it because it's profitable..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2009, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, New York
147 posts, read 186,307 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
U are not following the thread. Malamute specifically points out the difference between legal and illegal Latinos or any race for that matter. There are also many illegal Canadians and Irish. The other character likes to lump Illegals and Latinos together for whatever reason.
Yes. You have to understand the mechanics. People come on here and post countless statistics and take a half of a page when in reality that has nothing to do with anything. This person seems to be off track A LOT..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2009, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,897,766 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrapola1975 View Post
Possibly? What planet do you live on??
Cost of illegals to California $10.5 billion
What does that link have to do with your point? How does that back up your questioning of my months old comment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top