U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:28 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,899,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Umm, look through my post history and point out to me when i have advocated for open borders.
Same here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 10:15 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,619,457 times
Quote:
Umm, look through my post history and point out to me when i have advocated for open borders.
You and I have been in this discussion for a very long time, and I can vouch for the fact I don't remember a single incident where you ever advocated 'open borders'.

However, the fact is that to a huge degree, we DO HAVE open borders...(or at least, they're awfully porous)...and when millions of people do get through illegally, I've seen many posts of yours objecting to 'dealing with these people' in any meaningful way, other than outright amnesty. As I recall, not only do you not want anything done about the folks who are already here illegally, you don't even want a bunch of "old retired guys in lawn chairs" (the Minutemen) WATCHING as the NEW ones continue to come across illegally....even if they promise not to 'touch'.

So NO, you're technically not an advocate of open borders.....as far as that statement goes. But your position comes awfully close, in my opinion.

And, by the way, THIS is an example of what I meant when I advised the OP he "probably wouldn't get a coherent answer" to his post....

Old 01-02-2009, 10:50 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,793,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You and I have been in this discussion for a very long time, and I can vouch for the fact I don't remember a single incident where you ever advocated 'open borders'.

However, the fact is that to a huge degree, we DO HAVE open borders...(or at least, they're awfully porous)...and when millions of people do get through illegally, I've seen many posts of yours objecting to 'dealing with these people' in any meaningful way, other than outright amnesty. As I recall, not only do you not want anything done about the folks who are already here illegally, you don't even want a bunch of "old retired guys in lawn chairs" (the Minutemen) WATCHING as the NEW ones continue to come across illegally....even if they promise not to 'touch'.

So NO, you're technically not an advocate of open borders.....as far as that statement goes. But your position comes awfully close, in my opinion.

And, by the way, THIS is an example of what I meant when I advised the OP he "probably wouldn't get a coherent answer" to his post....
LOL, your idea of a meaningful way might not be my idea of a meaningful way or the way even the incoming administration thinks this situation to be dealt with. Btw, what are the minutemen going to do to reduce illegal border crossings? They could sit there in their lawn chairs, drinking their beers but i really doubt they have any effect up there. I guess anything to make some people feel better i guess. I think the so called anti-illegal crowd keep forgetting that none of their solutions they suggest would be able to pass both houses of congress and be signed into law by Obama.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:11 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,633,862 times
Quote:
LOL, your idea of a meaningful way might not be my idea of a meaningful way or the way even the incoming administration thinks this situation to be dealt with. Btw, what are the minutemen going to do to reduce illegal border crossings? They could sit there in their lawn chairs, drinking their beers but i really doubt they have any effect up there. I guess anything to make some people feel better i guess. I think the so called anti-illegal crowd keep forgetting that none of their solutions they suggest would be able to pass both houses of congress and be signed into law by Obama.
blacknight04: you keep forgetting that we are in a nasty recession---------that alone will likely trigger a massive effort to chase out most of the remaining illegal aliens here. As it stands: Mexico is whinin' about having to take back many of its repatrioted citizens from the USA.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:02 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,619,457 times
Quote:
Very true.....you and I probably wouldn't agree on much. (I thought that was obvious already)....and I don't know what effect The Minutemen have on illegal immigration...but they must have a HUGE effect on somebody, to cause so many people to be so upset about their activities. (Harmless irrelevant old 'codgers' don't normally cause a lot of anger...unless they're 'doing something')

Old 01-02-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Very true.....you and I probably wouldn't agree on much. (I thought that was obvious already)....and I don't know what effect The Minutemen have on illegal immigration...but they must have a HUGE effect on somebody, to cause so many people to be so upset about their activities. (Harmless irrelevant old 'codgers' don't normally cause a lot of anger...unless they're 'doing something')
Must be about as much of an effect as MeCha is having.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:18 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,437,255 times
safety over freedom anyday we are going there at light speed.
the security measures kerry mentioned 8 years ago that bush sneared at are and were valid.
thumb print machines and chiped ID. its guna happen.
too many gang bangers goin north lookin for a better life.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
safety over freedom anyday we are going there at light speed.
the security measures kerry mentioned 8 years ago that bush sneared at are and were valid.
thumb print machines and chiped ID. its guna happen.
too many gang bangers goin north lookin for a better life.
I don't buy that theory either. I don't think many "gangbangers" are immigrating here. Some immigrants becoming gangbangers out here, yeah maybe.
Some being deported as gangbangers? Sure.
Sneaking back in as gangbangers? Maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration