U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-10-2009, 05:32 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,898,074 times
Reputation: 226

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Flip side here:

The antics of the 'MEChA' types are endangering many people who look 'Mestizo'----------in fact, a 'brown' woman caught flak from a Hispanic for not speaking Spanish. The lady in question was from Guam I believe.

So it is not just 'Anglos' or Blacks who have it in for Latino looking folks who look stereotypically Mexican.
Nobody takes MeCha seriously either.

And no Blacks don't have it in 'Latino looking folks'. Neither do Anglos. Just the stupid ones, the weak minority. And like I said, they don't matter.
It benefits people not to be one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-10-2009, 05:35 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,898,074 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The cold reality is there is no Hispanic race.

And; we already had a Mexican run for President back in 1968------------George Romney. His parents were residents of Chihuahua, Mx and he was born/raised there. Had he won the nomination----------the fact that he was not a native born American could have disallowed him anyway.
...............................

Quote:
Romney was born to American parents in Mexico. His family moved back to the United States when he was a child.
Arizona Bear, sometimes you just got to accept the way things are. Your constant attempts to discredit Mexican culture, and marginalize it's significance isn't getting anywhere.

Being born in Mexico to American missionary parents makes him about as Mexican as the child of an American ambassador to Russia is Russian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2009, 06:07 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
...............................

Arizona Bear, sometimes you just got to accept the way things are. Your constant attempts to discredit Mexican culture, and marginalize it's significance isn't getting anywhere.

Being born in Mexico to American missionary parents makes him about as Mexican as the child of an American ambassador to Russia is Russian.
Using your reasoning: why in the hell is a child born in the USA to a pair of illegal aliens from Mexico (or any other nation) not considered to be foreign??

At least George's parents were in Mexico legally.

I accept what I feel is right...............if you take offence to it--------------so be it! If a person is so in love with their 'Mexican' culture-------they can stay in Mexico unless here going to school, business, tourism, etc. Besides; the tide is turning against illegal aliens as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2009, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,898,074 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Using your reasoning: why in the hell is a child born in the USA to a pair of illegal aliens from Mexico (or any other nation) not considered to be foreign??

At least George's parents were in Mexico legally.

I accept what I feel is right...............if you take offence to it--------------so be it! If a person is so in love with their 'Mexican' culture-------they can stay in Mexico unless here going to school, business, tourism, etc. Besides; the tide is turning against illegal aliens as it is.
When did I ever say that illegal aliens from Mexico (or anywhere else) aren't considered foreign? Can you find a post that backs up that accusation? You won't, because you guys are full of hot air, and like to make things up. Typical, and really old.

I love Mexican culture. I am very connected to it, through my grandparents, and all my family before that. I grew up with many aspects of Mexican culture, along with my American culture. I love it, and will pass it down to my children as well. I will share with them the best of both cultures I was blessed to grow up with.

I'm not insecure about my American-ness, and know I don't have to sacrifice the culture of my family, because it doesn't make me any less American than the kind of person who drapes himself in the American flag and goes around telling people who is American and who is unAmerican.

You won't find me changing my name that sounds too ethnic because I'm scared I'll be seen as un-American.
I'm proud of my ethnic background, as well as my roots, and I'm a damn good United States citizen.

This is and always will be a country full of people from other places. This isn't France, England, Spain, Japan, China. This is a relatively new country that got it's culture from the MULTIple CULTURes that have contributed to the "melting pot".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2009, 07:07 AM
 
1,763 posts, read 5,258,988 times
Reputation: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
How is this assimilation?
It takes a generation or two. Same thing happened with German, Polish, Italian [etc.] communities generations ago. They were all eventually assimilated.

Last edited by Merlander; 01-10-2009 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2009, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,898,074 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
It takes a generation or two. Same thing happened with German, Polish, Italian [etc.] communities generations ago. They were all eventually assimmilated.
Yep. You see the same thing among newer Asian immigrants(Chinese, Koreans) who largely stay in their enclaves where they can talk, shop, see the doctor, bank, dine, work with their first language.
And yet the next generation is bilingual, and the third generation might only speak English.

EXACT same thing with Latinos. But Latinos are more spread out, and heavier numbers making them fall under more scrutiny. As well as being seen in a more negative light.

People fall into these stereotypes.
"I know a Korean immigrant who speaks fluent English! All Koreans assimilate!"

"All I see is Mexican immigrants forcing my children to speak Spanish, and refusing to learn English! None of them are learning English!"

Both those generalizations are very false.

But as I've seen with my own eyes, Latinos are assimilating like everyone else has.
Just like every other immigrant group, some Latino immigrants learn English, many don't.
And just like every other immigrant group, finding a first generation born and raised American Latino that doesn't speak English, is very, very, very rare(I've never seen it myself, but the people on here have awesome googling powers).

You don't see any of those mentioned groups not speaking English, because well, they don't really immigrate here in high numbers anymore. Right now it's the Latinos coming in droves.
But if we're talking about Europeans, I've seen many Russians speaking in Russian to each other on the street. What conclusions and assumptions should I come up with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 12:33 AM
 
197 posts, read 231,532 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Flip side here:

The antics of the 'MEChA' types are endangering many people who look 'Mestizo'----------in fact, a 'brown' woman caught flak from a Hispanic for not speaking Spanish. The lady in question was from Guam I believe.

So it is not just 'Anglos' or Blacks who have it in for Latino looking folks who look stereotypically Mexican.
What's your point with this obssesion about shades of color, I think you
have a big confussion with the terminology, can you have darker or lighter
anglos??
In any case the color of your skin says nothing about who you really are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 02:26 AM
 
1,435 posts, read 3,506,315 times
Reputation: 524
Quote:
can you have darker or lighter
anglos??
Yes there are Non Nordic/darker Anglos. This actress named Nikki Reed for example is a Non Hispanic White Anglo, of the Mediterranean kind.
http://www.celebszz.com/49465-2/nikki-reed-08.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
What's your point with this obssesion about shades of color, I think you
have a big confussion with the terminology, can you have darker or lighter
anglos??
In any case the color of your skin says nothing about who you really are.
All the more reason to eliminate all legal preferences for anybody deemed 'Latino'----------let them compete on the same level as anybody else. If it means learning to speak proper English----------so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 11:31 AM
 
197 posts, read 231,532 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
All the more reason to eliminate all legal preferences for anybody deemed 'Latino'----------let them compete on the same level as anybody else. If it means learning to speak proper English----------so be it.
Every single hispanic I know speaks perfect english, except for the recent immigrants, the new immigrants, as expected, have difficulties, everyone understands that, why does it seem to be a lot of them, well becuse is actually millios of them, give'em one generationand they will be perfectly bilingual!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top