U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2009, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,897,766 times
Reputation: 226

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
All the more reason to eliminate all legal preferences for anybody deemed 'Latino'----------let them compete on the same level as anybody else. If it means learning to speak proper English----------so be it.
Your desperation is showing.

You just can't stand Latinos having a voice. It irritates you that using our cultural similarities, we have united to gain political clout in this country. Mexican-Americans, Puerto Ricans, Cuban-Americans, Dominican-Americans, etc etc. Our communities have been united to make a very strong voice in this country.

I know you're going to be predictable, and talk about some Latinos you "know" talking about how they hate other Latinos, Mexicans hating Puerto Ricans, Cubans hating Dominicans, whatever divide and conquer technique it is people use.

You might as well just accept things as we are, accept the Latino identity, and stop obsessing over White Argentines and Spaniards. Go with the flow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2009, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Your desperation is showing.

You just can't stand Latinos having a voice. It irritates you that using our cultural similarities, we have united to gain political clout in this country. Mexican-Americans, Puerto Ricans, Cuban-Americans, Dominican-Americans, etc etc. Our communities have been united to make a very strong voice in this country.

I know you're going to be predictable, and talk about some Latinos you "know" talking about how they hate other Latinos, Mexicans hating Puerto Ricans, Cubans hating Dominicans, whatever divide and conquer technique it is people use.

You might as well just accept things as we are, accept the Latino identity, and stop obsessing over White Argentines and Spaniards. Go with the flow
Looking at the growing crackdown on illegal aliens: you have it exactly backwards--------the desperation is growing amongst them and their enablers

Besides: America; love it or leave it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,897,766 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Looking at the growing crackdown on illegal aliens: you have it exactly backwards--------the desperation is growing amongst them and their enablers

Besides: America; love it or leave it!
Who said anything about illegal aliens? Illegal aliens are getting deported like always. Oh well.

Has NOTHING to do with the growing clout of the Latino community. The influence of Hispanic-Americans is on the rise, still.

We all know this is really this ,
because you seek to discredit the Latino community, but it's futile and fruitless. The Latino community is definitely legitimate, and is growing in influence as part of our country. Despite the threads on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 02:00 PM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,657,730 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
It takes a generation or two. Same thing happened with German, Polish, Italian [etc.] communities generations ago. They were all eventually assimilated.
We don't share a border with Europe or Russia. Also sinse when do we have a million illegal immigrants from those countries come over each year like we do from Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 02:27 PM
 
197 posts, read 231,508 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Who said anything about illegal aliens? Illegal aliens are getting deported like always. Oh well.

Has NOTHING to do with the growing clout of the Latino community. The influence of Hispanic-Americans is on the rise, still.

We all know this is really this ,
because you seek to discredit the Latino community, but it's futile and fruitless. The Latino community is definitely legitimate, and is growing in influence as part of our country. Despite the threads on this forum.
Spanish is what holds the hispanic community together, and we love it, Telemundo, and Univision the two Spanish networks in the US have
audiences that compare the "traditional" networks, and they continue growing. The insignificant minority of intolerant radicals will have to learn to live with it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 03:25 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
Spanish is what holds the hispanic community together, and we love it, Telemundo, and Univision the two Spanish networks in the US have audiences that compare the "traditional" networks, and they continue growing. The insignificant minority of intolerant radicals will have to learn to live with it...

Quote:
Bankruptcy: is Univision next?
Quote:

Univision's reduced revenue and cash flow, the heavy debt load, the upcoming lawsuit with Televisa over programming and the credit crunch the industry is experiencing has analysts predicting the Spanish-language network could be next on the list of media companies to file for bankruptcy.

According to the Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i4bf70b129a07520891bb7255416cdcd - broken link), Univision had a 25% drop in auto advertising in the third quarter of 2008. It also also has a lot of debt after its buyout last year by private-equity firms, which included media mogul Haim Saban.

Credit analysts have started to compare Univision and Tribune, which also was taken private at the height of the private-equity buyout boom, despite Univision's stronger growth rate. The company's liquidity has become a concern given the firm's debt load - a $500 million debt payment comes due in March. And the sale of its music arm didn't generate as much cash as Univision management hoped. The company got $153 million - half of what had been expected.

Analysts at Standard & Poor's and Moody's have dire predictions for Univision in 2009. Moody's issued warnings, including in a pre-holiday-season debt-ratings downgrade on the company, its second of 2008.
http://mediamoves.blogspot.com/2009/01/bankruptcy-is-univision-next.html




Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,197,803 times
Reputation: 4611
They're going under.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 04:31 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
They're going under.
Exactly. So much for the espanol in the US being all the rave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 06:34 PM
 
1,435 posts, read 3,505,889 times
Reputation: 524
Quote:
Has NOTHING to do with the growing clout of the Latino community. The influence of Hispanic-Americans is on the rise, still.
Hispanics only have considerable political clout in the states that share a border Mexico and the Miami metropolitan area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,636 posts, read 2,897,766 times
Reputation: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Hispanics only have considerable political clout in the states that share a border Mexico and the Miami metropolitan area.
They certainly gained the interest of anybody wanting to run for president.

Latinos have much bigger national voice now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top