U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 04:56 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,899,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
It is good that Americans and legal immigrants are helping to revitalize this neighborhood. Send the illegals home.
Saying that is one thing, but saying an American neighborhood deserves to die rather than get a boost from illegals?

Prevent illegals from being hired? Sure. But I don't wish any American town to be in ruins just to prevent some illegals from benefiting from it.

Just like I'd rather see America have a great economy, than have our country go through a great depression just to get rid of illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 04:58 PM

23,010 posts, read 31,965,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
You come off as a young dude from an upper middle class background. I could be wrong, but that's how you come off.

It's a lot easier to say something like that when you don't know real pushers and robbers. And if you don't live in a f'd up neighborhood. When you do, you get to appreciate work ethic versus REAL criminals.

I KNOW what a real criminal is. And I'd rather live next to someone washing dishes illegally, than someone pushing heroin or crack illegally, or someone sticking guns in peoples' faces illegally. Any damn day.

But in the case of the Detroit neighborhood, their ARE American citizens and legal immigrants benefiting from their own work. But there are also a few illegals contributing and benefiting from it too. I'm glad to see Americans fixing up, and having success in a neighborhood in a hard luck place like Detroit. Even if a few illegals are doing good from it too.
Americans, and an American neighborhood succeeding is way more important to me than sticking it to illegals. And unless you live in that neighborhood, you have no right to say that you'd rather see it crumble than it flourish.

I started the thread to show what Latino IMMIGRANTS are doing for this neighborhood. This is still an immigration forum, and it doesn't always have to be about illegals.
I've lived in a working-class neighborhood for the last 4 years in Alexandria and i went to an urban HS. Let me tell you who some of my friends were; a guy who is doing time for armed robbery, a guy who is serving time for murder, a guy who had a football scholarship to college who is charged with robbery, and a few former gang members. I think i know the difference between criminals and people with a good work ethic. While illegals may have good work ethic, the fact of the matter is in at least one way shape or form they are criminals. I hate hurting your feelings but that is the truth.

Why do i have to live next to an illegal alien or a drug dealer? If those are my only two choices then i need to find a new line of work to pay the bills for a better area.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:00 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Saying that is one thing, but saying an American neighborhood deserves to die rather than get a boost from illegals?

Prevent illegals from being hired? Sure. But I don't wish any American town to be in ruins just to prevent some illegals from benefiting from it.

Just like I'd rather see America have a great economy, than have our country go through a great depression just to get rid of illegals.
Better the alternative vs. having those illegal alien lawbreakers here.

The illegals are a net liability.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I've lived in a working-class neighborhood for the last 4 years in Alexandria and i went to an urban HS. Let me tell you who some of my friends were; a guy who is doing time for armed robbery, a guy who is serving time for murder, a guy who had a football scholarship to college who is charged with robbery, and a few former gang members. I think i know the difference between criminals and people with a good work ethic. While illegals may have good work ethic, the fact of the matter is in at least one way shape or form they are criminals. I hate hurting your feelings but that is the truth.

Why do i have to live next to an illegal alien or a drug dealer? If those are my only two choices then i need to find a new line of work to pay the bills for a better area.
No offense, I have more respect for a dishwashing illegal than for any of your friends you mentioned.
I think a dishwashing illegal is better people. The rest is scum. And I know the same people. "Friends" and relatives.
I know the difference between a person breaking a law and a real criminal.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:07 PM

23,010 posts, read 31,965,939 times
Quote:
No offense, I have more respect for a dishwashing illegal than for any of your friends you mentioned.
I think a dishwashing illegal is better people. The rest is scum. And I know the same people. "Friends" and relatives.
I know the difference between a person breaking a law and a real criminal.
The thing they have in common is they broke laws and need to be punished. Can we agree on that at least?

The illegal needs to be deported and my friends are either currently locked up or have served their time and rehabilitated themselves.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
The thing they have in common is they broke laws and need to be punished. Can we agree on that at least?

The illegal needs to be deported and my friends are either currently locked up or have served their time and rehabilitated themselves.
Yeah, I'll agree laws have been broken. But what I can't see eye to eye on with most of you, is the comparison between someone here illegally working and someone committing violent/drug crimes.

I will happily group in illegals and citizens committing violent crimes together.

If illegals are getting deported, will that's what happens if they get caught. I don't expect or even desire for immigration laws not to be enforced.
But I'd rather have a hardworking illegal contributing to society(such as by fixing up a neighborhood) without documentation, than a violent illegal or citizen committing crimes that are more dangerous to my health.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:43 PM

87 posts, read 114,371 times
ANYONE HELPING HARBORING OR INCOURAGING AN ILLEGAL ALIEN IS BREAKING THE FEDERAL LAWS AND CAN END UP IN PRISON FOR 5 YEARS! Don't Reward lawbreakers or you become a lawbreaker yourself!

SECTION 8 USC 1324(A)(1)(A)(iv)(B)(iii)

"Any person who . . . encourages or induces an illegal alien to . . . reside . . . knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such . . . residence is . . . in violation of law, shall be punished as provided . . . for each illegal alien in respect to whom such a violation occurs . . . fined under title 18 . . . imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both."
Penalties upon conviction include criminal fines, imprisonment, and forfeiture of vehicles and real property used to commit the crime.

Anyone employing or contracting with an illegal alien without verifying his or her work authorization status is guilty of a misdemeanor. Aliens and employers violating immigration laws are subject to arrest, detention, and seizure of their vehicles or property. In addition, individuals or entities who engage in racketeering enterprises that commit (or conspire to commit) immigration-related felonies are subject to private civil suits for treble damages and injunctive relief.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:30 AM

542 posts, read 1,267,453 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'll agree laws have been broken. But what I can't see eye to eye on with most of you, is the comparison between someone here illegally working and someone committing violent/drug crimes.

I will happily group in illegals and citizens committing violent crimes together.

If illegals are getting deported, will that's what happens if they get caught. I don't expect or even desire for immigration laws not to be enforced.
But I'd rather have a hardworking illegal contributing to society(such as by fixing up a neighborhood) without documentation, than a violent illegal or citizen committing crimes that are more dangerous to my health.
how do you differentiate the two. do you personally know the millions of illegals that enter rhis country each year. what about the hard working ms13 members that came here illegally. id rather have no illegals and no violent offenders like alan's friends. but since alan's friends are already here i'd like to try to keep the illegals out still. two wrongs don't make a right.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:03 AM

32,802 posts, read 30,052,880 times
It goes back to the Burger King mentality of what laws are to be followed. Some people insist certain laws are to be ignored.

The criminal mind unfolds.

2 different people steal food from your store, 1 person is hungry because they are here illegally and haven't found work. 1 person is hungry because they lost their job and turned homeless maybe on their own accord.

They are still both stealing from you.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:35 AM

87 posts, read 114,371 times
I appears the original poster wants law abiding Americans to become criminal by helping her criminal illegal aliens. That's just sooo wrong...

Last edited by Sovereignty; 01-04-2009 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration