Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:49 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times

Advertisements

Republic Services is a gigantic, publicly-held company with 13,000 employees. Their stock price wasn't affected in Nov. 2005, Jan. 2007 or when this announcement came out (their price did dip but that was because they were buying another company). That means they weren't hurt or even perceived to have been hurt.
Republic Services, Inc. [provides] non-hazardous solid waste collection services for commercial, industrial, municipal, and residential customers through 427 collection companies in 40 states. We also own or operate 255 transfer stations, 219 solid waste landfills and 86 recycling facilities. Republic serves millions of residential customers under terms of contracts with more than 3,000 municipalities for waste collection and residential services. We also serve some commercial customers throughout our expansive service area.

Republic Services, Inc. | Waste Management & Garbage Collection
They fired the responsible people at the Humble, TX branch and galvanized their compliance system - maybe put in better supervision down there in Texas. But those fired guys I'll bet got plenty of sympathy and job offers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 12:46 AM

530 posts, read 1,130,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
$1 million to most companies is seen as just a "cost of doing business" and they will be right back at it again. Only the threat of criminal prosecutions and JAIL is going to deter CEOs from hiring illegal help. I know here in GA, the ICE will raid a business and take out 25 illegals and a year later raid the same place and find 25 more. While I support amnesty with conditions for the illegals who have been here 2 years or more, any amnesty must come with tougher laws and togher enforcement - fines should be incresed to $10 million and forfeiture of assets for a continuing criminal enterprise for repeat offenders. And management should be JAILED. After a few businesses are siezed and a few managers go to jail, the others will get the message that we ain't jackin around no more on this issue.
Amnesty for illegals who have been here for two years or more? Who is supporting these people for two years or more? How do they have jobs?

I don't understand how you agree with amnesty if they have been here for two years or more but think employers should face severe punishment for hiring illegals?

Please explain.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:12 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
It's a start, but only that. Those that knowingly hire criminal aliens need to be prosecuted and do some time in jail. Only when these crimes are actually punished with there be a deterrant. As otehrs said, a fine may just be seen as a business expense.

The other item is, the criminals that were working for this company...were they arrested, charged and put in jail?

Old 12-12-2009, 11:34 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,631,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
$1 million to most companies is seen as just a "cost of doing business" and they will be right back at it again. Only the threat of criminal prosecutions and JAIL is going to deter CEOs from hiring illegal help. I know here in GA, the ICE will raid a business and take out 25 illegals and a year later raid the same place and find 25 more. While I support amnesty with conditions for the illegals who have been here 2 years or more, any amnesty must come with tougher laws and togher enforcement - fines should be incresed to $10 million and forfeiture of assets for a continuing criminal enterprise for repeat offenders. And management should be JAILED. After a few businesses are siezed and a few managers go to jail, the others will get the message that we ain't jackin around no more on this issue.
An additional piece of the puzzle in ensuring that fines for criminal employers hiring illegals are much more than just a 'cost of doing business' would be the requirement of estimating how much total illegal profits a criminal employer has made off of hiring illegals and includng a substantial portion of those illegal profits in the fine.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:32 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,631,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
An additional piece of the puzzle in ensuring that fines for criminal employers hiring illegals are much more than just a 'cost of doing business' would be the requirement of estimating how much total illegal profits a criminal employer has made off of hiring illegals and includng a substantial portion of those illegal profits in the fine.
The more I think about it the more I think that scumbag criminal employers of illegals should have to pay back all of their illegal profits earned from illegally employing illegals as part of their fine plus a substantial per illegal head fine. Any CEO forced to pay such a potentially massive fine would certainly be run off by stockholders. That would become a major deterrent to criminal employers hiring illegals.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
per the OP
tip of the iceberg, mexican people dont sneak over and work. they are recruited by american business thru the collusion of us government (deliberate weak BP) and employers-- 21 million have been brought here.
labor busting at its finest --why hasnt american labor risen up against this?
bek american labor is anti labor.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:00 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
I remember when Dennys Restaurants had to pay out money to the minorities who applied but were turned down solely on the basis of skin color.

I wonder if somehow money can go to the people who applied for jobs at Republic but were turned away because hiring illegals was the cheaper route.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:18 AM

608 posts, read 923,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I remember when Dennys Restaurants had to pay out money to the minorities who applied but were turned down solely on the basis of skin color.

I wonder if somehow money can go to the people who applied for jobs at Republic but were turned away because hiring illegals was the cheaper route.
I doubt it. In this PC society, being a non-minority isn't seen as a good thing. In Texas, we are told to avoid any issues/confrontations with any Latinos, or else it will be OUR jobs that are taken from us. This new and modern form of racial profiling isn't known to most of the US, but come to Texas and find out who controls the playing field! Without representation from Texas, or some other part of the USA, we blue collar non-illegals have no chance against this new competition willing to take lower pay and no benefits. I guess that's why I had to move to Louisiana! I beg my brothers and sisters (of all races and creeds) from my great nation to drive these bastards away from the US and allow our children to survive. Please help us now America. As a man that spent over 5 months in the homeless shelter, I believe I have a case.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
The more I think about it the more I think that scumbag criminal employers of illegals should have to pay back all of their illegal profits earned from illegally employing illegals as part of their fine plus a substantial per illegal head fine. Any CEO forced to pay such a potentially massive fine would certainly be run off by stockholders. That would become a major deterrent to criminal employers hiring illegals.
They should. They should be fine as much as they can be fined, the sky is the limit and no one is going to mind the government finding money in these crooks. Not just the big corporations, but anyone hiring illegals instead of Americans should be shut down, profits confiscated.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:26 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
I doubt it. In this PC society, being a non-minority isn't seen as a good thing. In Texas, we are told to avoid any issues/confrontations with any Latinos, or else it will be OUR jobs that are taken from us. This new and modern form of racial profiling isn't known to most of the US, but come to Texas and find out who controls the playing field! Without representation from Texas, or some other part of the USA, we blue collar non-illegals have no chance against this new competition willing to take lower pay and no benefits. I guess that's why I had to move to Louisiana! I beg my brothers and sisters (of all races and creeds) from my great nation to drive these bastards away from the US and allow our children to survive. Please help us now America. As a man that spent over 5 months in the homeless shelter, I believe I have a case.
Sadly, unless it directly impacts them, most really don’t give a damn about much of anything. This country is replete with complacency and apathy, and it will lead to our demise. They are more interested in tabloid gossip, than protecting our country from illegal foreigners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration