U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2009, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,678,111 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
I hope he continues to appoint people from all different backgrounds and ideals. We in the US don't know it all. Bush proved this when he underestimated Iraq and Afghanistan. No policy or decision will ever be perfect in the world's view but we need to change our "we can do no wrong" attitude. Every decision we make has a consequence. With differing ideals and opinions maybe for once we will have healthy debates and select the path or least resistance or the one with the least consequence. Bottom line is we DO need to care about what the world thinks of us. It is a much smaller place than it used to be.
Funny:

To a German, Spaniard, Italian, Nigerian, Chinese (from China), etc.----------they as a group perceive us Americans irrespective of race/ethnicity as being essentially the same culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2009, 04:51 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,910,869 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
Sorry, I have no sympathy for US citizens, illegals, legals, etc. who buy illegal drugs on US territory. They are the cause of this raging fire. Without users in the US we would not have such a situation.
Who said I was sympathetic to drug users? I'm not, so we agree on that point. That being said it doesn't mean that I want to live with the possibility of my country becoming a 3rd world, lawless, over populated, poverty stricken, barbaric cesspool replica of mexico either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2009, 06:42 PM
 
608 posts, read 882,124 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Funny:

To a German, Spaniard, Italian, Nigerian, Chinese (from China), etc.----------they as a group perceive us Americans irrespective of race/ethnicity as being essentially the same culture.
How they perceive us is one thing. How we tackle world problems and think dynamically or "out of the box" to tackle world problems is another. We have proved that the cowboy attitude and reactions no longer work. The world doesn't understand or work within cowboy culture. We must evolve from this way of dealing with world problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2009, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,678,111 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
How they perceive us is one thing. How we tackle world problems and think dynamically or "out of the box" to tackle world problems is another. We have proved that the cowboy attitude and reactions no longer work. The world doesn't understand or work within cowboy culture. We must evolve from this way of dealing with world problems.
Comparing Dubya Bush to a cowboy is an insult----------to the latter.

Although; I do catch your drift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2009, 07:11 PM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,663,703 times
Reputation: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
I hope he continues to appoint people from all different backgrounds and ideals. We in the US don't know it all. Bush proved this when he underestimated Iraq and Afghanistan. No policy or decision will ever be perfect in the world's view but we need to change our "we can do no wrong" attitude. Every decision we make has a consequence. With differing ideals and opinions maybe for once we will have healthy debates and select the path or least resistance or the one with the least consequence. Bottom line is we DO need to care about what the world thinks of us. It is a much smaller place than it used to be.
Sinse the US is number one destination for immigrants the world over the world must have a overall favorable opinion of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2009, 08:56 PM
 
87 posts, read 114,507 times
Reputation: 36
Page 3.

A significant portion of illegal activity at the border relates to illegal drug smuggling.

Below is a summary of Fiscal Year 2005, Federal drug seizures, which shows a total of;

222,714 kilograms of cocaine
1,162,509 kilograms of marijuana.
5,470 kilograms of methamphetamine
(a kilogram is 2.2046 pounds)

Federal law enforcement estimates that 10 percent to 30 percent of illegal aliens are actually apprehended and 10 percent to 20 percent of drugs are seized. Therefore, in 2005, as many as 10 to 4 million illegal aliens crossed into the United Stated (inluding 19,500 terrorists); and as much as 2.2 to 1.1 million kilograms of cocaine and 11.6 to 5.8 million kilograms of marijuana entered the United States.

Source:

Page 3.
Department of Homeland Security Report,"A Line In The Sand: Confronting The Threat At The Southwest Border"


http://www.house.gov/mccaul/pdf/Investigaions-Border-Report.pdfhttp://www.house.gov/mccaul/pdf/Investigaions-Border-Report.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top