Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 06:00 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,101,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
They did not benefit from big media companies producing programs and advertisements catering to them in their own languages. We live in a different time. You can't compare past immigrants to those of today. Especially today's Spanish speaking immigrants where media giants, producers of products and marketing agencies target this multi million dollar (if not billion) target audience.
If we didnt have so many here illegally they would not have a market to cater to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 06:45 AM

26,691 posts, read 41,629,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
I believe it was President Clinton who signed an executive order mandating translation help and foreign language publication ..............I will do some research on that though to verify my comment..
Right now the wife is wanting to go to the steak place so I will be backkkkkkkkkkkkk
Yep, i believe that was true. Clinton faced big pressures from La Raza and other interest groups to do it. Clinton, to me, was a good president but this was a fatal flaw in his time in the oval office.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:37 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,061,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
I believe it was President Clinton who signed an executive order mandating translation help and foreign language publication ..............I will do some research on that though to verify my comment..
Right now the wife is wanting to go to the steak place so I will be backkkkkkkkkkkkk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Yep, i believe that was true. Clinton faced big pressures from La Raza and other interest groups to do it. Clinton, to me, was a good president but this was a fatal flaw in his time in the oval office.
Not letting Slick Willie off the hook here: but; the Republicans had control of both houses of Congress and the White House from 2001-07---------yet they aided and abetted illegal immigration.

In other words: the Patriot Act clearly did not apply to Mexicans and others sneaking across our southern border.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:08 AM

608 posts, read 1,003,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
If we didnt have so many here illegally they would not have a market to cater to.
I beg to differ. The Latino/Hispanic community is very strong and are large in number even when you only consider those here legally. Spanish programming on radio had already been well established in the late 60s and early 70s. It is pretty naive to think that what we see today is ONLY due to illegal Latino/Hispanic community.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:20 PM

50,155 posts, read 46,811,218 times
chain illegal migration and the anchor syndrome has been going on for, what, 60 years? I think illegal immigration has everything to do with a large population of Hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration