U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 04:30 PM

66,121 posts, read 33,539,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyG View Post
So, when I was a medical student at UC San Diego, we experienced a great deal of the same. I'm really happy to deliver their babies; but it would seem as though the appropriate action thereafter, is to receive appropriate payment for services, followed by a visit from the INS and prompt deportation to Mexico, and a lack of declaring the newest person born in the U.S. a U.S. Citizen.

It is remarkable, the foolishness of making a baby a U.S. citizen based upon the parent's ability to successfully evade legal crossing of the border. I don't believe too many other countries in the world take such a foolish approach.

The effects thereafter of services and legal rights being extended to people who were never in the U.S. legally to begin with, is just remarkable. If laws were written rationally and the application thereof was rational; I'm happy to deliver their baby if they so happen to be "visiting" San Diego on the day of labor; however, making this event an event free of cost, making the newest U.S. citizen and allowing the rest of the family in, just shows the irrationality of how immigration is dealt with in the U.S.

Having recently moved to Australia, it is interesting to experience a society serious about only accepting people who add value to their country. After completing med school in the U.S., residency and 10 years of Emergency Medicine practice; I still have to prove my value to emmigrate. Lots of paperwork, lots of effort and lots of work. This is for skilled and needed labor into a rational country. Why can't the U.S. adopt a rational approach.

The rational approach is simple; If a given individual has significant skills and education that is both needed and lacking in the U.S.; allow them to immigrate. If there is no such situation, then we need to decline admission to the U.S. I don't understand why this is so complex. Most countries do not have such a challenge with such a simple concept. The proximity of the U.S. to Mexico and the lack of enforcing a border has led to weakness in policy and instead of working in rational ways to enforce a policy, folks have thrown their hands up and said just let everyone in.

This is not good public policy, it isn't in support of maintaining laws and it is wrong. For folks who think that anyone who wants a better financial situation should be allowed to move, regardless of skills or ability to benefit society; I can only wish that they could experience what that situation would look like. We only see a limited application of that situation as the U.S. only borders one disadvantaged society; and we are in receipt of their citizens that are not making adequate income within their given societies.

In the hospital system; I'm still scratching my head on why hospitals do not file a law suit against the federal government as they sustain massive costs that are threatening any reasonable financial model, based upon federal mandates to provide care; while at the same time, the federal government fails to protect the hospital system from being flooded with people who are not here legally and have virtually no likelihood of paying their bills (or taxes for that matter).

America can support it's regular homegrown mentally challenged dependant or poorly motivated citizens; the problem is that importing a huge number of people with little skills, likely quite average (or less than) IQ's who maximally reproduce and use public resources is not consistent with an upgrade to the American system.

Taking the best and brightest from elsewhere in the world is great. We are failing here.

I wish the U.S. the best; but failure to address this issue in a rational manner is going to hurt everyone. Mass deportation at this point would be a blessing to all. There is no excuse for white guys to not be mowing lawns -- I know my lawn is mowed by a white guy -- because this is what the Australian economy supports. He pays his taxes, lives in this society, the money stays here. There is no excuse for the U.S. not being the same. I could care less if it is an Asian, Hispanic or any other race -- the issue is that this person is a member of society, paying into the system, supporting the system and not an aberration.

So the people that come to the U.S. and have babies -- why aren't they citizens of their homeland? Are we really that stupid? Why isn't the medical care followed by return to their homeland? I just don't know what we are thinking.

The Uk is experiencing the same thing from eastern Europe, that we see from the Mexico border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 06:03 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,781,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
Abuse ..why? the primary purpose of using such method (Jus Soli> birthright citizenship) is that the government wanted to increase our population through settlement.

We would change our laws if the majority of our citizens were against birthright citizenship. That`s not the case because we have always wanted to increase our population (labor force) to remain competitive in the global market. We succeded..we are the only world empire. The only country that is both an economic and military superpower.

Again, this whole issue is a racist issue. We would be totally happy if anchor babies looked like Nicole Kidman.

I am not a Mexican related. I have Spaniard/Western European ancestry (grandparents). I think that the average Amerindian is not very good looking. But still, they are the new immigrantion wave. Europeans don`t like the U.S. as a destination to relocate anymore. George Bush did a hell of a job scaring everybody from here. Now, we basically have a terrible economy thanks to the previous war on "terror" (oil greedy politicians) and we also have more war enemies. Europeans want peace, that`s why they love Obama, and that`s why the British kicked Tony Blair`s behind in 2007. Europeans won`t relocate here anymore in the following few years.
I don't think most Americans care about what the anchor babies look like (Mexican, White, Asian, etc.). What we are concerned with (frankly, just plain fed up with) is the huge number of impoverished, uneducated, backward people who are illegally coming into the U.S. from Mexico. The U.S. doesn't need to absorb Mexico's rejects. Let Mexico deal with them.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:01 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,392,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The Uk is experiencing the same thing from eastern Europe, that we see from the Mexico border.
There are some differences in all fairness; I believe that the UK is part of the Schengen Agreement--------read that a Hungarian for example can legally cross into the former place without a visa/passport.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:38 PM

34,885 posts, read 31,933,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
Anchor baby is a derogatory term for a child born in the United States to immigrants or other non-citizens, regardless of the immigration status of the parents.

According to our laws, they are rightfully U.S. citizens.

Jus soli (Latin for "right of the soil" or, somewhat figuratively, "right of the territory"), or birthright citizenship, is a right by which nationality or citizenship can be recognised to any individual born in the territory of the related state.

Jus soli is common in developed countries that wish to increase their own citizenry, as well as in countries of the Western Hemisphere who sought to increase their populations through settlement. It is also recognized in some developing countries, most notably Pakistan.

States that observe jus soli include:
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Argentina
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Bolivia
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • Chile (children of transient foreigners or of foreign diplomats on assignment in Chile only upon request)
  • Colombia
  • Dominica
  • Dominican Republic
  • Ecuador
  • El Salvador
  • Fiji
  • Grenada
  • Guatemala
  • Guyana
  • Honduras
  • Jamaica
  • Lesotho
  • Mexico
  • Nicaragua
  • Pakistan
  • Panama
  • Paraguay
  • Peru
  • Romania
  • Saint Christopher and Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • United States
  • Uruguay
  • Venezuela
There are millions of U.S. citizens that are the offprings of non-U.S. citizens (immigrants). This is how USA increased its population over the last 2 centuries. If our laws would have been different, and Jus Soli (birthright citizenship) were illegal, our country would have closed the door to the immigration waves of the last 100 years, and the country would be totally different as it is today.

You "Anchor baby" haters should go to school and get educated.

The whole issue here is that the anchor babies of the last few decades are not European, they are Amerindian Mexicans. This whole issue is a racist issue. Even people like Nicole Kidman were anchor babies (She was born in Hawaii and her two parents are Australian/Non-U.S. nationals, and her whole family currently lives in Oz).

There are millions of citizens who were anchor babies at some point in their lives. Any U.S. citizen born in U.S. whose parents were not U.S. nationals are anchor babies. If you are a third generation U.S. American that means that your grandparent was an anchor baby.

I guess you don't pay taxes otherwise illegal immigration and the concept of "anchor" would push fear into your wallet like it does millions of tax payers. We are tired of being surrogate mother to the millions of "anchors".

Old 06-28-2009, 02:33 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,019,131 times
The 14th Ammendment does need to be changed, not only because of Mexican women having anchor babies, but women from other countries (notably South Korea, and the Middle East) fly in on visitor's visas for the sole purpose of having their babies born here. These women return home with their babies, but they do have an ace in the hole, so to speak. Their children are free to come here at any time in the future they so desire. They are also free to bring family members of course.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:54 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,019,131 times
<<There are millions of citizens who were anchor babies at some point in their lives. Any U.S. citizen born in U.S. whose parents were not U.S. nationals are anchor babies. If you are a third generation U.S. American that means that your grandparent was an anchor baby.>>

Not so. Anchor babies refers to children born in this country for the sole purpose of anchoring the familiy to this country. This was not the case with our ancestors. They did not produce children for the sole purpose of providing the family with a citizen.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:39 PM

47,576 posts, read 60,457,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
The 14th Ammendment does need to be changed, not only because of Mexican women having anchor babies, but women from other countries (notably South Korea, and the Middle East) fly in on visitor's visas for the sole purpose of having their babies born here. These women return home with their babies, but they do have an ace in the hole, so to speak. Their children are free to come here at any time in the future they so desire. They are also free to bring family members of course.
Yes and even if they wait until the child is 18, then they can all return with the child sponsoring them. It's a great retirement plan. American social security checks -- here we come! That's why the SSI program is so burdened down with elderly immigrants, sponsored by relatives that never had any intention of actually paying for them.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:05 PM

23,962 posts, read 32,663,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes and even if they wait until the child is 18, then they can all return with the child sponsoring them. It's a great retirement plan. American social security checks -- here we come! That's why the SSI program is so burdened down with elderly immigrants, sponsored by relatives that never had any intention of actually paying for them.
We need to get rid of chain (family-based) immigration, I have been saying that for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration