U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2009, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Union County
5,783 posts, read 8,419,560 times
Reputation: 4818

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRed View Post
Oh Hell...Stop by the 7-11 on the corner of North Ocean Ave. and Horseblock Rd in Farmingville between 6-9 am and ask all you want...
In fairness, it's just as bad if not worse in pockets as you travel South down N Ocean... Closing that Mobil station across from the 7-11 sure didn't help any. I wish I knew the story behind what happened there - prime real estate and they always consistently charged 20-30% more for a gallon of gas then stations within a 1/4 mile. I mean, come on - who the hell ever bought gas there?

I've gone on a Farmingville rant before and won't do it again... Maybe your story will do to Patchogue what the movie did to Farmingville. It could fairly deflect the stigma on Farmingville that was based on a small corner along the Patchogue/Medford border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2009, 11:22 AM
 
143 posts, read 270,460 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
You realize that even if this had become the MCCAIN-Nation, nothing would be done either?
That's the issue... we need a presidential candidate with enough of a backbone willing to deal with this issue. Yes, the illegal immigrants broke the law. But as I said before, you cannot demonize the individuals who are here to make a better life for themselves and not cause any trouble (most of them at least). The government needs to secure our borders, streamline the legal immigrant process, and come up with a way to legalize the existing illegal aliens in the country. Rounding them up and shipping them out is not the solution, but coming up with a way to get them on tax rolls and make them pay a penalty will help. Then a deadline upon which if they are not legalized they will be shipped out must be created and enforced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Union County
5,783 posts, read 8,419,560 times
Reputation: 4818
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyc4582 View Post
That's the issue... we need a presidential candidate with enough of a backbone willing to deal with this issue. Yes, the illegal immigrants broke the law. But as I said before, you cannot demonize the individuals who are here to make a better life for themselves and not cause any trouble (most of them at least). The government needs to secure our borders, streamline the legal immigrant process, and come up with a way to legalize the existing illegal aliens in the country. Rounding them up and shipping them out is not the solution, but coming up with a way to get them on tax rolls and make them pay a penalty will help. Then a deadline upon which if they are not legalized they will be shipped out must be created and enforced.
I don't want to downplay the immigrant issue because it is important... and I have some very strong opinions on it. However, this is like solving an ant problem in your house while it's on fire.

Seriously, people can't keep jobs, the economy is a disaster, the Middle East is as bad as ever... do I need to continue? Any President who would put the immigration "issue" as a high priority right now should be impeached immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 11:34 AM
 
10,729 posts, read 13,638,481 times
Reputation: 6233
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyc4582 View Post
That's the issue... we need a presidential candidate with enough of a backbone willing to deal with this issue. Yes, the illegal immigrants broke the law. But as I said before, you cannot demonize the individuals who are here to make a better life for themselves and not cause any trouble (most of them at least). The government needs to secure our borders, streamline the legal immigrant process, and come up with a way to legalize the existing illegal aliens in the country. Rounding them up and shipping them out is not the solution, but coming up with a way to get them on tax rolls and make them pay a penalty will help. Then a deadline upon which if they are not legalized they will be shipped out must be created and enforced.
There is no politician that can be elected in this country who would have any part in deporting illegal aliens on a mass scale. Think of the political fallout? As long as that part of the equation doesn't exist, any legislation designed at fixing the problem would be meaningless, because there would be no consequences to no complying.

A combination of leftists, greedy businessmen, and Latino activist groups will be sure that nothing will ever be done about this issue. I have little hope. One Hispanic family sent back to Mexico would equate to enough accusations of Nazism to fill every newspaper in the country.

The most sensible thing to do would be to levy such massive fines on anyone who hires an illegal, that no one would be willing to take the risk. Take the jobs away, most will leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 11:45 AM
 
143 posts, read 270,460 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I don't want to downplay the immigrant issue because it is important... and I have some very strong opinions on it. However, this is like solving an ant problem in your house while it's on fire.

Seriously, people can't keep jobs, the economy is a disaster, the Middle East is as bad as ever... do I need to continue? Any President who would put the immigration "issue" as a high priority right now should be impeached immediately.
I agree... but the fact of the matter is Obama would not have done anything about this issue had the economy been fine. Neither would McCain... we need a president willing to enforce our laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 AM
 
143 posts, read 270,460 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
There is no politician that can be elected in this country who would have any part in deporting illegal aliens on a mass scale. Think of the political fallout? As long as that part of the equation doesn't exist, any legislation designed at fixing the problem would be meaningless, because there would be no consequences to no complying.

A combination of leftists, greedy businessmen, and Latino activist groups will be sure that nothing will ever be done about this issue. I have little hope. One Hispanic family sent back to Mexico would equate to enough accusations of Nazism to fill every newspaper in the country.

The most sensible thing to do would be to levy such massive fines on anyone who hires an illegal, that no one would be willing to take the risk. Take the jobs away, most will leave.
I think the fines should be part of everything else. This will not solve all of the issue though. Large scale deportation will not work... but deportation on a smaller scale as persons are found to be in this country illegally after a certain date I believe would work. We aren't talking about knocking on doors here and finding the illegals. Simply, anybody who is arrested and found to not be here legally must face deportation. Currently, an illegal immigrant who is arrested for DWI is sent to jail for a little while and then released. None of these solutions on their own will solve the problem, but if all of these steps are taken the number of illegal immigrants will drastically decrease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 11:54 AM
 
Location: NJ/NY
10,635 posts, read 16,618,837 times
Reputation: 2798
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
There is no politician that can be elected in this country who would have any part in deporting illegal aliens on a mass scale. Think of the political fallout? As long as that part of the equation doesn't exist, any legislation designed at fixing the problem would be meaningless, because there would be no consequences to no complying.

A combination of leftists, greedy businessmen, and Latino activist groups will be sure that nothing will ever be done about this issue. I have little hope. One Hispanic family sent back to Mexico would equate to enough accusations of Nazism to fill every newspaper in the country.

The most sensible thing to do would be to levy such massive fines on anyone who hires an illegal, that no one would be willing to take the risk. Take the jobs away, most will leave.
It's not a "left" issue, it's a politician issue. Left and Right are just as bad on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 11:56 AM
 
143 posts, read 270,460 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
It's not a "left" issue, it's a politician issue. Left and Right are just as bad on this issue.
I believe it's the leftist who refuse to call anyone in this country illegally "illegal immigrants" and instead choose to say anyone against illegal immigration is simply against immigration, which is patently false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 12:15 PM
 
10,729 posts, read 13,638,481 times
Reputation: 6233
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
It's not a "left" issue, it's a politician issue. Left and Right are just as bad on this issue.

Business interests looking for labor to exploit: right
bleeding heart one world liberals and Latino Activist Groups: left


Strange bedfellows, but that's pretty much the breakdown

Same with the other side of the argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 12:24 PM
 
Location: NJ/NY
10,635 posts, read 16,618,837 times
Reputation: 2798
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyc4582 View Post
I believe it's the leftist who refuse to call anyone in this country illegally "illegal immigrants" and instead choose to say anyone against illegal immigration is simply against immigration, which is patently false.
I believe you are making a huge generalization there, considering the Right has their own (monetary) pluses for supporting illegal immigration.

Again, this is not a "left" vs. "right" issue. For example, the amnesty bill was sponsored by Kennedy/McCain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:33 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top