U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2009, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Union County
5,702 posts, read 8,152,353 times
Reputation: 4708

Advertisements

I agree that it's a political issue and agnostic of affiliation (party, left/right, etc)... It's a problem that can't be solved without sending some group into an uproar.

These folks may be a burden on the communities - using services without contributing tax wise. However, the major problem right now is that the middle class is being systematically exterminated... The jobs that these folks are doing have little to no impact in that regard.

The fact remains that the only law they are breaking is a federal one. They aren't breaking the local (State, County, Town) laws and this provides the cops the out to leave them alone. We don't live in a police state where someone can be stopped by SCPD and asked for "papers" because they look foreign - Thank God. It's painfully obvious that they should do this with many of the people we see standing on the side of the road, but we have to be careful about cracking that can of worms open.

I respect these people for coming to America to try and realize the dream, however I don't want to see hiring centers pop up. If the problem continues to be attacked at the source - fining the contractors who employ these folks as day workers, it should begin to correct itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2009, 01:44 PM
 
1,303 posts, read 2,900,272 times
Reputation: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyc4582 View Post
I believe it's the leftist who refuse to call anyone in this country illegally "illegal immigrants" and instead choose to say anyone against illegal immigration is simply against immigration, which is patently false.
I am a registered Democrat and think people here illegally are illegal aliens. Seems pretty logical to me. It is the folks who exaggerate the opinions on both sides (all democrats want a "welfare nation" versus all republicans are "greedy bigots") who ensure that normal conversations and solutions are never brought to the table. Enforce the laws on the books regarding employment, taxes, criminal behavior, etc and the issue begins to become addressed. Too many folks like to make "leftist" and "Hannity Republican" comments rather than be constructive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 01:49 PM
 
9,945 posts, read 13,009,574 times
Reputation: 5486
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

These folks may be a burden on the communities - using services without contributing tax wise. However, the major problem right now is that the middle class is being systematically exterminated... The jobs that these folks are doing have little to no impact in that regard.
I have to disagree with your last point. Construction jobs used to be middle class jobs, and that's a pretty big industry...or it WAS prior to the October meltdown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Union County
5,702 posts, read 8,152,353 times
Reputation: 4708
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I have to disagree with your last point. Construction jobs used to be middle class jobs, and that's a pretty big industry...or it WAS prior to the October meltdown.
I see your point, but I was thinking the clean-up guy not the guy who swings the hammer and has carpentry/mason/etc skills. I still say that targeting the contractors hiring these day workers will begin to alleviate the problem... not solve it - but at least band aid it to a point where they stop coming in droves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 01:58 PM
 
143 posts, read 263,693 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I am a registered Democrat and think people here illegally are illegal aliens. Seems pretty logical to me. It is the folks who exaggerate the opinions on both sides (all democrats want a "welfare nation" versus all republicans are "greedy bigots") who ensure that normal conversations and solutions are never brought to the table. Enforce the laws on the books regarding employment, taxes, criminal behavior, etc and the issue begins to become addressed. Too many folks like to make "leftist" and "Hannity Republican" comments rather than be constructive.
Sorry Junior, but to elaborate on my point - to me a leftist is someone on the far left, not necessarily anyone left leaning. The far left refuses to call illegal immigrants illegal. That is a fact that was observed during the marches held about 2 years ago. I made that comment simply because someone was asked why nothing will be done with this situation and responded that the leftists were a group that would never let it happen. The reason why they would never let it happen is because they refuse to label this as illegal. You can come down from your grandstand now oh righteous one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 02:40 PM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,624 posts, read 8,136,178 times
Reputation: 6949
I think we should create sort of like an American Foreign Legion (all officers and senior NCOs would be US Army volunteers) and conscript them into an 8 year tour of duty and ship them off to the hell holes of the world so we don't have to send as many Americans to die and the ones that are left alive at the end of their 8 years get full citizenship and a house courtesy of the federal government and the option to transfer to the regular army or enter the civilian world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Miller Place NY
1,051 posts, read 2,587,676 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyc4582 View Post
Aside from the excessive use of punctuation yet again I agree with most (if not all) of your post. However let's not demonize the illegal immigrants here. The fact is they are looking for a better life and they get that here. It's up to the federal government to enforce immigration laws. Until that happens, the government is the culpable entity and must be held accountable.

As for the idiots who killed the illegal immigrant - I hope they rot in jail the rest of their lives.
Oh no, HEAVEN HELP, if would "demonize" something that's illegal ?

To me, this is one of the reasons that this illegal activity, is so socially accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 03:01 PM
 
143 posts, read 263,693 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
Oh no, HEAVEN HELP, if would "demonize" something that's illegal ?

To me, this is one of the reasons that this illegal activity, is so socially accepted.
Demonizing the individuals is what leads crimes being committed against them. Being in this country when you aren't supposed to is illegal, however don't blame them. Yes, they committed the crime. However it is your government that is allowing them to. Their crime is coming here for a better life when they weren't supposed to. Can you blame them though? I am all for immigration reform, but when we start demonizing these people we create an atmosphere that leads to 17 year old thugs killing them. We need to enforce the laws, not create an atmosphere where all people of hispanic decent are looked upon as lower then dirt because of this problem. Those of hispanic decent who are here legally probably suffer the most from this illegal immigration problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Miller Place NY
1,051 posts, read 2,587,676 times
Reputation: 116
It's the disrespect for THE LAW, that concerns me.

It sends a message, that can be applied TO ALL LAW.

Where there is NO law, there is anarchy.

And that's what we have in this Society, anarchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2009, 03:20 PM
 
143 posts, read 263,693 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post

And that's what we have in this Society, anarchy.
That's a little dramatic, don't you think? There certainly isn't anarchy in our society.

As for the illegal immigrants, you can blame them for wanting to come here for a chance to make a good living? I can't... and if I were born in a poor country and had the chance to come to the United States and make good money I would jump at that chance. Again, blame your government for allowing this sort of thing to happen and get out of control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top