Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,144 times

Advertisements

My name is Jennifer, and I'm a freelance journalist. I will be in Suffolk County for the next couple of weeks reporting on illegal immigration--and the tension it has caused in Suffolk County's communities. I am interested in hearing from Suffolk County residents on this topic, and I am also interested in hearing reactions to the murder of Marcelo Lucero, an Ecuadorean immigrant in Patchogue this past November.

Please don't reply here. Instead, contact me at Moderator cut: sorry. no private e-mails here, but people may DM you instead.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Jennifer

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-09-2009 at 02:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 03:43 AM

371 posts, read 937,999 times
Oh Hell...Stop by the 7-11 on the corner of North Ocean Ave. and Horseblock Rd in Farmingville between 6-9 am and ask all you want...

Old 01-09-2009, 04:06 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,191 times
You have to be bilingual BUT you have to treat for coffee and churros, Esse !

Last edited by longislandmike; 01-09-2009 at 04:22 AM..

Old 01-09-2009, 04:43 AM

Seriously.....

Since this will, officially, become the OBAMA-Nation, at the end of this month, this issue will be "shoved off", intentially, to the back burner, "if" ANYTHING happens, it will be to decriminalize illegals...which isn't the best idea, national security-wise.

However, the States and localities will be footing the bill. So when you look at your last tax bill and your upcoming Federal tax bill, think about it !

Curiously, one of the "good things" to result from our bad economy is.....there are VERY LITTLE jobs left for these illegals, AND they have been leaving this country because of it.

How...special !

As far as I am concerned, they can't leave fast enough !

Old 01-09-2009, 04:46 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
I don't like thugs murdering people in the streets for recreation.

I don't like the fact that the government refused to enforce immigration laws for so long, and thus allowed this to become a problem. 2 seperate issues.

We already have plenty of legal immigrants moving to Long Island...just look at how the Indian population has grown. I hear very few people complaining about that, because they come here LEGALLY.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
!

Curiously, one of the "good things" to result from our bad economy is.....there are VERY LITTLE jobs left for these illegals, AND they have been leaving this country because of it.
!

Hey...you said something with some validity!!

Old 01-09-2009, 05:06 AM

I feel all warm and fuzzy now.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:47 AM

143 posts, read 299,062 times
Quote:
Seriously.....

Since this will, officially, become the OBAMA-Nation, at the end of this month, this issue will be "shoved off", intentially, to the back burner, "if" ANYTHING happens, it will be to decriminalize illegals...which isn't the best idea, national security-wise.

However, the States and localities will be footing the bill. So when you look at your last tax bill and your upcoming Federal tax bill, think about it !

How...special !

Aside from the excessive use of punctuation yet again I agree with most (if not all) of your post. However let's not demonize the illegal immigrants here. The fact is they are looking for a better life and they get that here. It's up to the federal government to enforce immigration laws. Until that happens, the government is the culpable entity and must be held accountable.

As for the idiots who killed the illegal immigrant - I hope they rot in jail the rest of their lives.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyc4582 View Post
Aside from the excessive use of punctuation yet again I agree with most (if not all) of your post. However let's not demonize the illegal immigrants here. The fact is they are looking for a better life and they get that here. It's up to the federal government to enforce immigration laws. Until that happens, the government is the culpable entity and must be held accountable.

As for the idiots who killed the illegal immigrant - I hope they rot in jail the rest of their lives.

Absolutely. Most illegal immigrants are just people looking for a better life. A few are gang-banging, dangerous low-lives (actually, there are way more of these guys than Nazi skinheads on LI, but I digress)

However, it is not the job of the US government to absorb every member of a lower socio-economic group from every country on earth..you get the feeling some people believe it is. I've had this discussion with a few of my friends
-what should we do about illegal immigration?"

"nothing, leave them alone, they're doing jobs Americans won't do" (jobs they WILL do if paid enough, but anyway)

-So why not just open the borders to everyone? Why do people who live in Mexico and Central America have an advantage because of geography? Why not go to Vietnam and say "all of you, anyone who wants to come..the door is open"

"We should"

-Why?

"Because America has oppressed and......."

-okay, I see your slant. Whose taxes are going to pay for all those schools, all those kids on medicaid, etc?

"America deserves it!"

Old 01-09-2009, 07:32 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Seriously.....

How...special !

You realize that even if this had become the MCCAIN-Nation, nothing would be done either?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration