U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:13 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
And if an American born Hispanic does not speak English with a cholo accent than Hispanics like George Lopez for example accuse them of trying to act and talk like a White person.
Wonderful. So an American who speaks English without an accent is accused of 'acting white', by a Hispanic named 'George', who stars in an English-language television show......

Right....got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 02:53 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I don't know what you're basing this on. I know plenty of Asians with accents. And I know plenty of Latinos without it. Unless you can show me an article backing up your claim, I'm going to have to disregard it because we all have different experiences.
Honest answer which I can respect

Old 01-10-2009, 03:28 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,659,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Honest answer which I can respect
Accents are hard to get rid of. Ask Arnold S.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:34 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Accents are hard to get rid of. Ask Arnold S.
Arnold came here as an adult as did my dad: both men have that generic Euro accent when speaking English.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:45 PM

17,281 posts, read 24,972,811 times
The show was absolutely ridiculous. Not so much the "not serving people who don't speak English" part, but the crying Mexican "why do they hate us so much? I'm just here to work."

The host is a "former migrant worker" so I guess we can all understand the slant.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:51 PM

17,281 posts, read 24,972,811 times
Quote:
Arnold came here as an adult as did my dad: both men have that generic Euro accent when speaking English.
My father came here when he was 13... he has a pretty thick accent at 53. His younger brothers and sisters have less of an accent. I have other friends who immigrated in their early teens or around 11 or so (including a Russian) who mazingly has almost no accent.

Incidentally, my grandparents never learned English beyond a few sentences, even though they lived in America for about three decades before moving back "home" to retire. I never understood it, but they DID basically move to and live in the ethnic ghetto, where you didn't HAVE to know English. They also never demanded Americans speak THEIR language though, which is more than I can say for SOME people and groups round where I live!

The "Newyorican" accent is a corrolary of the god-awful Miami accent, which is unique but grating to my ears!!!!

Old 01-10-2009, 06:17 PM

117 posts, read 132,102 times
Quote:
I don't know what you're basing this on. I know plenty of Asians with accents. And I know plenty of Latinos without it. Unless you can show me an article backing up your claim, I'm going to have to disregard it because we all have different experiences.
Then you dont get around to much. I dealwith asians everyday. Funny their kids don't have accents. Not that an accent matters much but lets get straight on something. Its a lame excuse I can't learn english even though everyone around me speaks english. They sure learn enough to know how to apply for any and all social services.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:22 PM

5,503 posts, read 17,203,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherhead View Post
Then you dont get around to much. I dealwith asians everyday. Funny their kids don't have accents. Not that an accent matters much but lets get straight on something. Its a lame excuse I can't learn english even though everyone around me speaks english. They sure learn enough to know how to apply for any and all social services.
Ok, thanks for speaking on my experiences.

You probably dont get around much, cause the hispanics here are americanized while the Asians stick to their little non-english speaking enclaves.

See how we have different views of things?

Old 01-10-2009, 06:28 PM

117 posts, read 132,102 times
Quote:
Ok, thanks for speaking on my experiences.

You probably dont get around much, cause the hispanics here are americanized while the Asians stick to their little non-english speaking enclaves.

See how we have different views of things?
Yeah asians are natural born hard working people they keep a low profile push hard for self reliance and set only the highest of standards for their kids.
The hispanics? I have no clue what they push for but it does not seem to be the samethings their asian counterparts are going for.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:42 PM

117 posts, read 259,517 times
Quote:
The problem is that way too many American Latinos do speak in that cholo accent which reflects badly on all folks who look Mestizo-----whether Hispanic or not.

Yet: I have known many an American of generic Asian lineage who came here @ age 12 or younger and they almost without fail, speak standard English factoring in regional differences.

Why are the above Asians able to assimilate yet so damn many US born/raised Chicanos sound like they just came from Mexico?

It is as if the latter's culture mandates having a big red bullseye on them as as group with the caption kick me.
Not every American of Mexican descent (AKA Chicanos) speak with a "cholo accent" the way you say. I don't know if you're talking about their own talk with the use of slang or by thier real accent. They can't help it if they apeak that way, everyone in the US has a different accent (in the south, in New York, etc.). And if they use slang, that's up to that indiviual person and at least most of it is English that was used in the US (not Mexico) right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration