U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:14 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
Not every American of Mexican descent (AKA Chicanos) speak with a "cholo accent" the way you say. I don't know if you're talking about their own talk with the use of slang or by thier real accent. They can't help it if they apeak that way, everyone in the US has a different accent (in the south, in New York, etc.). And if they use slang, that's up to that indiviual person and at least most of it is English that was used in the US (not Mexico) right?
It IS true that ALL US residents have SOME kind of accent...an 'accent' after all, only desribes a pronunciation that sounds 'different' to the listener...EVERYONe has an 'accent' in someone else's definition.

The US has at least 7 or 8 distinct 'regional' accents, easily distinguishable in a 'mixed group' (such as military recruits).

I DO detect a 'vestigal ancestral' accent in SOME Mexican-Americans, even those who don't speak Spanish. They've learned English among people who DO speak Spanish, or are descended from them, etc. Texan Mexican-Americans (to MY California ears) often speak with a combination "Mexican/ Southern" accent..(golfer Lee Trevino was an example), just as Texas anglophones speak with an accent (to ME).

I see this as no special condemnation of Mexicans, though. ALL immigrant groups do this. Whites from the upper Great Plains have a distinct Scanidinavian accent, though most of them lost their 'native tongue; two generations ago. The area is so HEAVILY Scandinavian, that it's affected the way English is spoken there. Ditto for Irish in New York, San Francisco, etc.....Italians in New Jersey, etc....and the odd "ethnic accent" I can easily detect in those from the Great Lakes area (Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, etc).

I could go on and on (UPPER southern accent vs Deep South, both much different from Appalachia.) Northern black vs Southern black....New York hispanic vs West coast hispanic..

Both blacks and whites in the Chesapeake Bay area (to ME) have an odd sort of 'British' twang that's hard to place, but it's there.

In short,,,yes, there's an 'ancestral' Mexican accent that SOME people carry on into the second or third generation, even when they become monolingual English-speaking....but this happens in ALL immigrant groups, in my experience. Maybe it relates to early childhood...or how the early years of school went.. but some people have this, while others, in the same ethnicity, do not. I find Mexicans, in this regard, no different from any group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 11:30 PM

1,435 posts, read 3,506,315 times
Cheech Marin is an example of a Mexican who has a thick as hell cholo accent. Even though he was born in the United States, he can not speak English with a White Anglo accent if his life depended on it.

YouTube - Cheech & Chong - Born In East L.A.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:42 AM

197 posts, read 231,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And to run with your ball further: it is very interesting that the American Mestizo/Eurasian children of said Asians tend to speak unaccented English by their teens.
Really??? who told you this one?? your brown mexican"amigos"
that travel all over the world

Old 01-11-2009, 07:23 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
Really??? who told you this one?? your brown mexican"amigos"
that travel all over the world
I stand by what I said.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:54 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Cheech Marin is an example of a Mexican who has a thick as hell cholo accent. Even though he was born in the United States, he can not speak English with a White Anglo accent if his life depended on it.

YouTube - Cheech & Chong - Born In East L.A.
True....and George W Bush is a Connecticut Yankee blue-blood who talks like a Texas oilfield roughneck. College-educated and heir to an old New England family, you'd never guess it to listen to him, and he couldn't say "nuclear" to save his soul.

SOME people in any group have vestigal accents....others, even in the same family, do not.

Many people may not realize that Frank Sinatra (about as 'standard American' a sound as you can get), whose singing voice was the very epitome of 'everyday American', in private life had a thick "New Joizy" accent. He was able to get rid of this during 'working hours', but not when off duty.

Who knows,,,when Cheech Marin is at home, maybe he talks like Ron Howard (probably not...but maybe)....

Old 01-11-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
True....and George W Bush is a Connecticut Yankee blue-blood who talks like a Texas oilfield roughneck. College-educated and heir to an old New England family, you'd never guess it to listen to him, and he couldn't say "nuclear" to save his soul.

SOME people in any group have vestigal accents....others, even in the same family, do not.

Many people may not realize that Frank Sinatra (about as 'standard American' a sound as you can get), whose singing voice was the very epitome of 'everyday American', in private life had a thick "New Joizy" accent. He was able to get rid of this during 'working hours', but not when off duty.

Who knows,,,when Cheech Marin is at home, maybe he talks like Ron Howard (probably not...but maybe)....
Very true.

While growing up in the Wash DC area in the 1960's: I received most of my identification about accents from watching TV---------read that since most shows were based out of SoCal I naturally assumed that was the way 'normal' people speak. Even back then; NY and Southern accents sounded 'funny' to me..........never mind that I have a slight Southern twang myself.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:02 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,898,074 times
Quote:
And: many Blacks resent being put down by the 'Ebonics' AKA 16th Century White Cockney English users for speaking proper English.
What the helleth is thee talkin' about?

Old 01-11-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Fair enough.

Then care to explain why Asian kids who come here at age 12 or younger tend to speak unaccented English by age 18?

If the Asians are capable of doing so: why not Latinos?
How many "Asian kids" do you know that do that?

Just admit you don't many Latino or Asian kids, and you're making huge generalizations based on God knows what.
Unless you're basing what your saying on an extensive survey/study/research you've done, or are citing a credible source, you are just repeating a weak theory of yours that you are attempting to turn into fact. One of many.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
How many "Asian kids" do you know that do that?

Just admit you don't many Latino or Asian kids, and you're making huge generalizations based on God knows what.
Unless you're basing what your saying on an extensive survey/study/research you've done, or are citing a credible source, you are just repeating a weak theory of yours that you are attempting to turn into fact. One of many.
Face it: you do not take many things that I say seriously------------God knows that quite of bit of what you post is spurious at best as well.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Face it: you do not take many things that I say seriously------------God knows that quite of bit of what you post is spurious at best as well.
Such as.........?

I don't make outlandish claims, I speak based on experience. I keep to what I know.

But it would be nice if you attempted to present proof for some of your claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration