Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:41 AM

608 posts, read 1,005,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The problem is that way too many American Latinos do speak in that cholo accent which reflects badly on all folks who look Mestizo-----whether Hispanic or not.
I remember this same sentiment being applied to African Americans during the Ebonics trend in the late 80s and 90s. So accents not allowed? Wow I better lose my Bawston accent quickly. Some perceive the thick working class Boston accent to be low class. This too shall pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 11:05 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
I remember this same sentiment being applied to African Americans during the Ebonics trend in the late 80s and 90s. So accents not allowed? Wow I better lose my Bawston accent quickly. Some perceive the thick working class Boston accent to be low class. This too shall pass.
And: many Blacks resent being put down by the 'Ebonics' AKA 16th Century White Cockney English users for speaking proper English.

Face it: if one does not have a proper command of the English language and I am especially referring to native born Americans.........he/she is screwed in many fields.

My written English is better than my spoken, admittedly. However; I am not in a field where precise verbal communication is essential so it is moot.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:32 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,769 times
Why doesn't ABC do an expose' on all the anchor babies? Or the jobs taken away by illegals? Or the way wages are depressed?

Are you listening ABC? I thought not.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:48 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
The problem is that way too many American Latinos do speak in that cholo accent which reflects badly on all folks who look Mestizo-----whether Hispanic or not.

Yet: I have known many an American of generic Asian lineage who came here @ age 12 or younger and they almost without fail, speak standard English factoring in regional differences.

Why are the above Asians able to assimilate yet so damn many US born/raised Chicanos sound like they just came from Mexico?

It is as if the latter's culture mandates having a big red bullseye on them as as group with the caption kick me.
What are you talking about?

You have to stop assuming that every Latino is a chicano from Mexico, who talks "cholo", whatever that is. Have you ever heard of the Nuyorican accent? Puerto Ricans in NYC have a unique accent, which is a mixture of an old school NYC accent (think Joe Pesci) with Latin influences. As a result most 1st generation Latinos in NYC and in the tri-state area talk Nuyorican, one way or another.

And Mexicans over here talk perfectly fine english. Well the New York Latino English.

Here are examples of the Nuyorican accent:

YouTube - marc Anthony - very funny!!!!!!

YouTube - Women explained, as told in White Men Can't Jump

Or you have the hispanics who talk "black" like these:

YouTube - TRU-LIFE

YouTube - CHELSEA HANDLER INTERVIEWS FAT JOE

Here educate yourself:

New York Latino English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Usually it depends on where you are raised. If you're coming from the island, and know only spanish, most likely your english its going to be some sort of NYLE (New York Latino English). If you're born here and are raised around blacks or in the projects you're most likely going to talk black, like Tru life and Fat Joe. Similarly, if you're raised in a white neighborhood, you're going to talk white.

All Latino accents, even "chicano", are influenced by their sorroundings.

But the vast majority of Latinos talk like everyone else.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:20 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,122 times
Quote:
And if an American born Hispanic does not speak English with a cholo accent than Hispanics like George Lopez for example accuse them of trying to act and talk like a White person.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
What are you talking about?

You have to stop assuming that every Latino is a chicano from Mexico, who talks "cholo", whatever that is. Have you ever heard of the Nuyorican accent? Puerto Ricans in NYC have a unique accent, which is a mixture of an old school NYC accent (think Joe Pesci) with Latin influences. As a result most 1st generation Latinos in NYC and in the tri-state area talk Nuyorican, one way or another.

And Mexicans over here talk perfectly fine english. Well the New York Latino English.

Here are examples of the Nuyorican accent:

YouTube - marc Anthony - very funny!!!!!!

YouTube - Women explained, as told in White Men Can't Jump

Or you have the hispanics who talk "black" like these:

YouTube - TRU-LIFE

YouTube - CHELSEA HANDLER INTERVIEWS FAT JOE

Here educate yourself:

New York Latino English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Usually it depends on where you are raised. If you're coming from the island, and know only spanish, most likely your english its going to be some sort of NYLE (New York Latino English). If you're born here and are raised around blacks or in the projects you're most likely going to talk black, like Tru life and Fat Joe. Similarly, if you're raised in a white neighborhood, you're going to talk white.

All Latino accents, even "chicano", are influenced by their sorroundings.

But the vast majority of Latinos talk like everyone else.
I stand by what I stated.

Note that I live in a majority 'Anglo' White area and way too many of the few 'Latinos' here certainly draw attention to themselves with their Mexican Spanish accents when they speak English. Note I am referring to kids/teenagers with their whiny speech patterns.

Why is that?

Old 01-10-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I stand by what I stated.

Note that I live in a majority 'Anglo' White area and way too many of the few 'Latinos' here certainly draw attention to themselves with their Mexican Spanish accents when they speak English. Note I am referring to kids/teenagers with their whiny speech patterns.

Why is that?
First you want them to learn english. And they do.

Now you want them to speak like you too?

When you're learning a different language, of course you're going to have an accent. Give them time, and they will start to lose it.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
First you want them to learn english. And they do.

Now you want them to speak like you too?

When you're learning a different language, of course you're going to have an accent. Give them time, and they will start to lose it.
Fair enough.

Then care to explain why Asian kids who come here at age 12 or younger tend to speak unaccented English by age 18?

If the Asians are capable of doing so: why not Latinos?

Old 01-10-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Fair enough.

Then care to explain why Asian kids who come here at age 12 or younger tend to speak unaccented English by age 18?

If the Asians are capable of doing so: why not Latinos?
I don't know what you're basing this on. I know plenty of Asians with accents. And I know plenty of Latinos without it. Unless you can show me an article backing up your claim, I'm going to have to disregard it because we all have different experiences.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:10 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,612 times
Quote:
I don't know what you're basing this on. I know plenty of Asians with accents. And I know plenty of Latinos without it. Unless you can show me an article backing up your claim, I'm going to have to disregard it because we all have different experiences.
ITA, i've been through this argument with him plenty of times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration